The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Gandalf the White vs. the Balrog

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Feb 25 2008, 4:19pm

Post #1 of 19 (5052 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf the White vs. the Balrog Can't Post

I don't think that Gandalf the White, being much more powerful than the Grey, would have any problem zapping the upstart demon into the Void. Then the trip would have been much smoother for the Fellowship. But Tolkien did it right.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 25 2008, 5:19pm

Post #2 of 19 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, The White is upgraded, but in a rematch the Balrog knows not to step out on that rickety bridge.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Feb 25 2008, 6:50pm

Post #3 of 19 (1134 views)
Shortcut
No Way [In reply to] Can't Post

The Balrog is not bright enough to not challenge Gandalf the White. Gandalf would search him out and kill him.

Tyler
Lorien

Feb 26 2008, 12:51am

Post #4 of 19 (1121 views)
Shortcut
I don't know with the balrog's wings! [In reply to] Can't Post

It could most likely beat gandalf!

-looking for something cool-

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Feb 26 2008, 1:14am

Post #5 of 19 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Then How did He Kill Him in the Movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Wings can't help him fly, as it states in the books. And he was killed anyway, by GANDALF THE GREY!!!!!!

Tyler
Lorien

Feb 26 2008, 1:29am

Post #6 of 19 (1131 views)
Shortcut
i'm just kidding! [In reply to] Can't Post

You see the does the balrog have wings or are they fake thing is kinda a big thing around here.I think gandalf the white and the balrog would most likely end like you said with gandalf comeing out on top!

-looking for something cool-

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Feb 26 2008, 3:46am

Post #7 of 19 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Its Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

Yah I wasn't calling you out. Wink Yah he did have wings, but they were so tattered and he was so huge that they couldn't support full flight. Maybe big leaps, though. But regardless, it was the magic that mattered. You know the rest. Thanks for replying!

Padster
Bree

Feb 26 2008, 5:06pm

Post #8 of 19 (1104 views)
Shortcut
It's not so easy as you make it out to be... [In reply to] Can't Post

When Gandalf the Grey defeated the Balrog, it took him ELEVEN days! That is a pretty equal fight that could have gone either way as far as I am concerned! So it is not as easy to say that Gandalf the Grey defeated the Balrog and would have always done so. After all Gandalf not only had to battle it for eleven days, but it killed him to defeat the Balrog.

And Gandalf had the help of a powerful Elven sword - Glamdring - AND one of the greatest items that had ever existed - the elven ring Narya, which enhanced his personal power. The Elven rings were not made for war and domination, but they did enhance the bearer’s personal potency. And Narya MUST have had a special connection to fire, which could only have aided Gandalf the Grey, of that I have no doubt. So what if the Balrog was a being of fire? To put out burning oil fountains in Kuwait they used explosives, so fire can be fought with fire.

And after adding all this together, it STILL took Gandalf ELEVEN days to kill the Balrog!

I personally think it is highly debatable that Gandalf the Grey, without those two items, could have killed the Balrog. Or at least it would have been a 55/45 fight in favour of the Balrog rather than in favour of Gandalf the Grey.

Gandalf the White IS another matter. He was spiritually enhance and sent back with a lot more power. Power enough to overthrow Saruman with a simple sentence (although he was aided in that act)! Therefore, still armed with Glamdring and Narya, he would have killed a Balrog again.

However it would still have been VERY tough. To think anything else is to trivialise the threat the Balrog posed to the Fellowship, a threat so big, that Gandalf felt the need to pursue the Balrog and TRY to finish it off, which he did of course succeed in doing, even though he died in the attempt.

Cheers

Padster

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Feb 26 2008, 6:21pm

Post #9 of 19 (1130 views)
Shortcut
You know, that was awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have to say that your explanation was fantastic.

Farawyn
Rohan

Feb 26 2008, 10:22pm

Post #10 of 19 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Tattered? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Feb 26 2008, 10:53pm

Post #11 of 19 (1139 views)
Shortcut
I don't know what you are trying to say [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the Balrog's wings have holes and tears in them. A nicer way to say it is "tattered".

Farawyn
Rohan

Feb 27 2008, 12:27am

Post #12 of 19 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Oh, well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still of the metaphorical approach on Balrog Wings, but I didn't remember reading that they were tattered or have holes in them.

BTW, I vote Gandalf the White, for most of the reasons stated above.

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Feb 27 2008, 4:41pm

Post #13 of 19 (1093 views)
Shortcut
What did you read, then? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well it says of FOTR, that he couldn't fly.

Padster
Bree

Feb 28 2008, 1:39pm

Post #14 of 19 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Balrog's that can't fly? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where does it say that a Balrog can't fly?

Padster

Farawyn
Rohan

Feb 28 2008, 2:15pm

Post #15 of 19 (1073 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

he (she?) may be thinking of movie Balrog, what with the "tattered" wings and the Balrog sort of leaping onto the bridge instead of flying...????

Discuss:
Photobucket

Padster
Bree

Feb 28 2008, 3:21pm

Post #16 of 19 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Mmmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe, but I don't REMEMBER anything being said about the Balrog's ability/inability to fly. But then I don't know the films as well as I know the books.

Padster

Keebler the Elf
Rivendell

Feb 28 2008, 4:22pm

Post #17 of 19 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Yah I'm gonna go research this [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know for sure either. I'll try to find an answer.

balinman
Rivendell

Nov 13 2009, 1:27am

Post #18 of 19 (3731 views)
Shortcut
Balrog [In reply to] Can't Post

the balrog would burn gandalf the white to a crisp!

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 3:00pm

Post #19 of 19 (649 views)
Shortcut
gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.