Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
13 dwarves names written in dwarvish

Joshyouare151

Sep 19 2014, 8:03am

Post #1 of 4 (548 views)
Shortcut
13 dwarves names written in dwarvish Can't Post

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm very new so please bare with me!
I was wondering if anyone knew of any existing sources where all 13 dwarves from the Hobbit names are written out in the dwarves alphabet?
There are a few versions of the alphabet I have seen around but they have conflicting characters and I wanted to know if there is an 'official' usable alphabet or if someone had already/wants to do the translation?
Thanks in advance!

Elthir
Grey Havens

Sep 19 2014, 1:16pm

Post #2 of 4 (475 views)
Shortcut
leaves of Mazarbul [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi

In 'example I' of the three pages of the book of Mazarbul, Tolkien wrote the names...

... Floi, Balin, Durin, and Oin in the usage or 'mode' of Erebor (the language of this page is English translating Westron, although these names are not Westron of course).

And you have the names Balin and Fundin on the tomb, although these names, in the first two lines at least and in a Dwarvish context, are written in Angerthas Moria. Of course if you don't have access to Tolkien's illustrations of these three leaves from the Book of Mazarbul (which he originally wanted in the book) I can see how this is not helpful! I can't recall anything else... at the moment anyway.

I believe these illustrations are being published again in a new edition of The Lord of the Rings... anyway Smile

If you mean has someone else written them all... I bet someone has! But I don't know where -- on the cobweb -- or if so, whether they are correct or not. These names are not the real outer Mannish names of the Dwarves, but then again we have to call them something!

Is this post helpful? I think not Wink

(This post was edited by Elthir on Sep 19 2014, 1:22pm)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 19 2014, 2:01pm

Post #3 of 4 (469 views)
Shortcut
They are on the appendices to AUJ EE [In reply to] Can't Post

On the second appendix disk that comes with AUJ EE (Appendix 8) under the heading "The Company of Thorin" each dwarf's name appears briefly written in runes at the beginning of each subsection (hope that makes sense). The runes used for this are the historical Anglo-Saxon runes that Tolkien used in The Hobbit.

Later, for LOTR, he created his own rune alphabet with different letter sounds for the rune characters, so that's probably why you're seeing different versions. I agree, it can be confusing, but basically The Hobbit (book) used a real historical rune alphabet and Tolkien just transliterated the sounds into English, and for LOTR he created a new rune alphabet and new languages to go with it, so the runes in the two books don't really match.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Sep 19 2014, 7:48pm

Post #4 of 4 (459 views)
Shortcut
I knew someone probably had done it... [In reply to] Can't Post

... so the film-folk stuck with the Anglo-saxon-ish runes then... interesting.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.