The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Post-earthquake Christchurch update

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 17 2014, 7:37am

Post #1 of 4 (355 views)
Shortcut
Post-earthquake Christchurch update Can't Post

People who have followed our story might find this clip interesting.
Christchurch from the streets. If you want to see Christchurch Cathedral it is at the one minute mark.
The clip is a promotion for a TV series starting here soon, and is made by Gerard Smyth, who made the brilliant When a City Falls.

The aerial view gives a good sense of what the centre of a city looks like when 80% of it is destroyed and demolished.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 17 2014, 7:48am

Post #2 of 4 (317 views)
Shortcut
Wow, thank you for that! [In reply to] Can't Post

What's the building at 1:40? And the road at 3:00?

I was recently fascinated by this article which, to me, is an ideal solution for the Cathedral (not that it stands any chance of acceptance).

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 17 2014, 8:06am

Post #3 of 4 (319 views)
Shortcut
The building at 1.40 [In reply to] Can't Post

is (was) The Odeon Theatre.
The road at 3.00 is the Summit Road I think.

I quite like Miles Warren's idea.

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 17 2014, 12:47pm

Post #4 of 4 (303 views)
Shortcut
I really like the whole concept too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Reducing the immense weight (being concerned with the ground composite) is a priority and use of the very graceful composite wooden beam system would be so beautiful and it would add height, light and openness throughout the entire floor plan. It would add resiliency through flexibility. The copper roof is ideal as well for longevity and lightness.

At least it is established that a solid comprehensive and doable solution exists. It is so important.

And thank you for the links Starling. It helps me connect better with you all, with the realism that they could convey. Better days are coming.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.