The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bolg may be heading for Erebor instead of Dol Guldur

boldog
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 9:22am

Post #1 of 5 (867 views)
Shortcut
Bolg may be heading for Erebor instead of Dol Guldur Can't Post

After re watching the orc attack scene in laketown, I noticed somthing which got me thinking. Before Bolg fights Legolas, he regroups with the Orcs and tells them to go back to Dol Guldur with Word of Thorin reaching Erebor. But why would he tell them this as an order, if the original intention was to leave laketown with them? Wouldnt he have just told them to follow him back to Dol Guldur, and not given them a message to give?
I think Bolgs intentions may be to go to Erebor himself, perhaps to find Thorin, Speak to Smaug, or scout the surroundings for the oncoming orc army. He tells the orcs to go to dol guldur so that Thorins fate can be known, while he is busy doing other things.

I dont know, probably wrong, but you never know Crazy

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Cillendor
Lorien

Sep 16 2014, 2:22pm

Post #2 of 5 (459 views)
Shortcut
That actually makes a lot of sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

It also helps to explain why Legolas is back at the lake so quickly.

moreorless
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 3:23pm

Post #3 of 5 (446 views)
Shortcut
It might tie into the Bilbo scene we saw in the trailer.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
After re watching the orc attack scene in laketown, I noticed somthing which got me thinking. Before Bolg fights Legolas, he regroups with the Orcs and tells them to go back to Dol Guldur with Word of Thorin reaching Erebor. But why would he tell them this as an order, if the original intention was to leave laketown with them? Wouldnt he have just told them to follow him back to Dol Guldur, and not given them a message to give?
I think Bolgs intentions may be to go to Erebor himself, perhaps to find Thorin, Speak to Smaug, or scout the surroundings for the oncoming orc army. He tells the orcs to go to dol guldur so that Thorins fate can be known, while he is busy doing other things.

If Bolg is heading for Erebor then I'd guess its possible that the shot we see of Bilbo reacting to him comes not during the final battle but rather somewhat earlier.

Personally my view is that dispite the name Bolg is potentially a blank canvas, his really important roles in the story will likely be taken by Azog.

moreorless
Gondor

Sep 17 2014, 4:06pm

Post #4 of 5 (257 views)
Shortcut
Thinking about this it would make sense... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

If Bolg is heading for Erebor then I'd guess its possible that the shot we see of Bilbo reacting to him comes not during the final battle but rather somewhat earlier.

Personally my view is that dispite the name Bolg is potentially a blank canvas, his really important roles in the story will likely be taken by Azog.

If things progress in a roughly similar fashion to on the page I can see the advantage of having Bolg get to Erebor well before Azog and the main force.

If you look at the story in terms of action you've got Smaug ast laketown early and then the battle late with not a great deal of action inbetween. Of course there is the Dol Guldor story but I actually think this is an even greater reason to have more action/drama in Bildo's story. If your cutting between stories there generally does need to be a mirroring of drama between them.

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 5:01pm

Post #5 of 5 (265 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Great observation! That makes so much sense.

I wonder if this means then that we'll have a scene of Legolas seeing Smaug flying overhead. If Legolas is riding out of Laketown straight for Erebor, and Smaug is flying out of Erebor straight for Laketown**, Legolas can't possibly miss seeing him.

**That would make a great math word problem, don't you think? "If Legolas leaves Laketown at 8:00 pm traveling north at 36 miles per hour, and Smaug leaves Erebor at 9:00 pm traveling south at 42 miles per hour....." Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.