The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
for the birders

Annael
Immortal

Sep 15 2014, 4:29pm

Post #1 of 5 (159 views)
Shortcut
for the birders Can't Post

So while I've been talking up the fact that I've got a book coming out, apparently one of my friends, Woody Wheeler, has been quietly writing his own book over the last six years which is coming out in a couple of weeks. He is a Master Birder (that's a thing) who leads bird-watching groups all over the world, and also a thoroughly nice guy. (It annoys him when people are snobs about certain birds; to him they are ALL great birds to watch.)

I joked with his wife one day that I was out in the woods with Woody and he said "listen! that's the call of the spotted towhee that you only hear in nesting season on Tuesday afternoons when it's not raining." She said "that's actually not that far from the truth." He's that good.

Here's a link to information about "Look Up!"
http://conservationcatalyst.org/...ook-alert-things-are

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Wynnie
Rohan

Sep 15 2014, 10:43pm

Post #2 of 5 (117 views)
Shortcut
Sounds interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Birdwatching has become a bit of a hobby for me in recent years. I don't do a lot of chasing down rare species (though I do occasionally go on bird walks at a local park); mostly I just set out feeders in the winter, a birdbath in the summer, and watch what visits my backyard.

Beautiful photo on the cover of his book, btw, though I can't identify that bird. The only yellow ones we get here are goldfinches!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 15 2014, 10:58pm

Post #3 of 5 (109 views)
Shortcut
I think it might be a Golden-crowned Kinglet // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Wynnie
Rohan

Sep 15 2014, 11:37pm

Post #4 of 5 (106 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In that case, they do exist in my area; I've just never (to my knowledge) seen one.

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 2:38am

Post #5 of 5 (109 views)
Shortcut
I had never seen a kinglet before this summer [In reply to] Can't Post

I took some blurry photos of a bird we saw at a nature center and asked my go-to person for bird id-ing... Brethil, here on the boards. She identified it as a kinglet. There are golden crowned and ruby crowned.

Then... I saw them everywhere... lol. I don't know. I think before we know how to discern one particular bird from another, we just make assumptions. I don't think most kinglets are a bright yellow as the photo would suggest. Mostly you catch a glimpse of the yellow or red on their head and observe their very skittish behavior. As Brethil put it, you want to shout at them, 'Stand still'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TxnqtEE_g0

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.