The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Wither The Moth's Deployment?

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 15 2014, 11:19am

Post #1 of 18 (2131 views)
Shortcut
Wither The Moth's Deployment? Can't Post

No one can dispute the Moth's singular importance as the saviour of the day, at least where Gandalf is concerned in the ME movies. Yes, the Eagles are the muscle, but how would they know where to bring the brawn if not for the stalwart Moth?

We've seen how in LotR, the Moth quietly saved Gandalf from his imprisonment atop Orthanc by literally bringing an Eagle in, and displaying great sense of timing by telling Gandalf when to jump

Then the Moth goes on to save the host at the Morannon single-handedly (antennaly?) by bringing a flock of Eagles, even considerately notifying Gandalf in that discrete unassuming way. Who knows what dangers the Moth risked to complete these insane missions of Gandalf with such quiet dignity?

TH shows us the relationship between Gandalf and the Moth goes back a ways. The Moth didn't brag about saving the behinds of Gandalf and the Company from Azog's rampage.

So where do you think the Moth will flap in to save Gandalf in BotFA? I suspect the Moth may answer two calls of deployment, one to call in transport for Gandalf from Dol Guldur, and then to call in the flight squadron at the end of That Day. Twice, a good encore for the unsung hero of PJ's ME films. No one else can lay claim to making a Maia jump where and when.HeartAngelicLaughTongue

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 15 2014, 11:30am)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 15 2014, 12:37pm

Post #2 of 18 (1808 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf has a big surprise coming [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wait until the moth gives him the bill.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 15 2014, 12:40pm

Post #3 of 18 (1760 views)
Shortcut
It should go on strike. [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly goes against some PETA rules or something.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 15 2014, 12:55pm

Post #4 of 18 (1745 views)
Shortcut
A moth on strike... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is a wizard's blight

It says good-bye
And refuses to fly

It jeers at fate
And makes eagles late

So pay its bill
Or Mordor will. TongueBlushWink

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 15 2014, 1:17pm

Post #5 of 18 (1715 views)
Shortcut
Quite the scoundrel isn't he? That pointy hat wearer// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 15 2014, 1:19pm

Post #6 of 18 (1724 views)
Shortcut
LoL [In reply to] Can't Post

Bravo, Elarie!

In Reply To
So pay its bill
Or Mordor will.

That's dangerous. Though, how's the Moth gonna collect without swipe risk? Talk about occupational hazard.

=======

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 15 2014, 2:51pm

Post #7 of 18 (1712 views)
Shortcut
It would be nice to have an Explanation? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe PJFWPB will Finally
explain the Moth Mystery?

Is it Radagast in LOTR?

Why a Moth in the First place?

Bomby Believezz that
the Writerzz will Finally explain
AFTER the Third movie comes out...

May it BE? in the commentaries of the
EE of BOT5A next year?

OR May it BE? Raddy does turn into a Moth
Right before our eyes & Flitterz away..Near the End?

Some mysteries might stay unsolved, BUT
it iz Perplexing??

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 15 2014, 2:58pm

Post #8 of 18 (1745 views)
Shortcut
But the scene we didn't see and probably won't.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... takes place in the quiet, leafy corner of Rhosgobel where the moth lives with its kin.

Third moth on the right: Don't look now, he's coming back.

Second moth: Oh no, he isn't, is he? Can we pretend to be asleep?

*Loud snores from the caterpillars.....

WITHER THE MOTH: Listen everyone - you'll never guess...

Third moth: Yeah, right - who have you saved this time?

WITHER THE MOTH: No, I did, I really did. there was this wizard, you see, and all the trees were on fire, and he whispered....

*At this point his voice is drowned out by loud cat calls, whistles and jeers, and squeaks from the caterpillars, the moth blasts himself off to Bermuda for a well-earned rest, and Gandalf is left to manage by himself. (Well, didn't you wonder where his little friend was when he was shut up in that cage....?)

psst.... how did you know the moth's name was Wither? Wink

(This post was edited by dormouse on Sep 15 2014, 2:59pm)

MimMoco

Sep 15 2014, 7:35pm

Post #9 of 18 (1660 views)
Shortcut
And the other Moth said to the first.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Hey bug...you're manning me!!"

No matter where you go...there you are.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 2:42am

Post #10 of 18 (1613 views)
Shortcut
*whisper* Now that would be telling, wouldn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
psst.... how did you know the moth's name was Wither? Wink

Angelic

In Reply To
*At this point his voice is drowned out by loud cat calls, whistles and jeers, and squeaks from the caterpillars, the moth blasts himself off to Bermuda for a well-earned rest, and Gandalf is left to manage by himself. (Well, didn't you wonder where his little friend was when he was shut up in that cage....?)

Though... you look familiar. I coulda sworn there was another mousemoth on that wall.

=======

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 7:37am

Post #11 of 18 (1586 views)
Shortcut
Sssh... don't let on that you've noticed. The mouse may be crucial... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to the plot... Angelic

Or not! Evil

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 8:35am

Post #12 of 18 (1575 views)
Shortcut
dMOUSE PJ Already put you in HIzzz Movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

IN??...Beorn's hand!

Bet you Play Chess TOO!

bom
(A Fan of yourzzz)
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 10:00am

Post #13 of 18 (1560 views)
Shortcut
*didn't say nuthin'* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 5:04am

Post #14 of 18 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Aftermoth [In reply to] Can't Post

(all clickables)

(click for large version. Language caution for the one word of expressive anguish)

But who can lay any blame on this cutey? It's all Maiar issues.

No matter what, Wither never lets up on his job

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 17 2014, 5:05am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 17 2014, 6:23am

Post #15 of 18 (1527 views)
Shortcut
IZZn't a Moth a Semi-Sorta-Kinda... [In reply to] Can't Post

Flyin' Mouse?

"Even the Smallest Thingiezz
Can
CHANGE the
Course of the World"

Maybe in a Backyard in Seatoun, NZ..

In a HotTUB TimeMachine?
.....with Pete, Fran, & Phil
a pesky Moth
.. landed on one their
Shoulderzz in 1996..?

AND Whispered..."YOU 3.. can do thizz..."

(Jus' another Myth made up
by BizarroMundo Bomby)

Don't quote me ever..
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 17 2014, 7:17am

Post #16 of 18 (1521 views)
Shortcut
Excellent - especially the last one! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 17 2014, 8:00am

Post #17 of 18 (1529 views)
Shortcut
Nope. Insect. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Flyin' Mouse?
Crazy

Moths are insects, like butterflies, that start out as caterpillers.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 17 2014, 8:46pm

Post #18 of 18 (1505 views)
Shortcut
LOL :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.