Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, etc. have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 4:14pm

Post #51 of 55 (288 views)
Shortcut
A girlfriend in college had Alice on VHS [In reply to] Can't Post

and i thought it was bizarre and hilarious and charming and disturbing all at once (i especially remember and love No room! No room!, and how she read all the parts, with a "said the..." after each time). A few years later, after getting into the Brothers Quay, i finally figured out just who made Alice, and saw some of his other work at a mini-festival, with some of his and the Quay's shorts, and his feature, Faust. I just love the intricate and obsessive worlds they create, though it can be a bit hard to watch at times.

I haven't seen Food (it is on YouTube though), but i just found a bunch stuff on DVD (and Alice on blu-ray!), so i'll be picking some of that up real soon. I'm especially looking forward to seeing his take on The Fall of the House of Usher.

I thought i remembered hearing or reading about a documentary on Svankmajer or the Brothers Quay or this type of animation in general, but i can't find anything of the sort. I'll keep looking, as that would be fascinating.

I haven't thought about this stuff in years-- thanks for the reminder!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 4:22pm

Post #52 of 55 (286 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see mention of Liv Ullman. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen any of her work as a director (i know, i know), but i love her work with Ingmar Bergman (my very favorite director), the greatest actor/director collaboration in cinema history, for me anyway. I really do need to see some of her films-- she's such an beautiful person and artist, and has lead such an interesting life.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 21 2014, 5:12pm

Post #53 of 55 (280 views)
Shortcut
Miss Julie was my first encounter with Ullman the director as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I heartily recommend it. BTW, have you read Miss Julie, or seen it on the stage, perhaps? It would be interesting to compare the impressions of those familiar with Strindberg's play prior to seeing the film and of those not.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2014, 6:12pm

Post #54 of 55 (270 views)
Shortcut
I read it a looong time ago, [In reply to] Can't Post

so i wouldn't really say i'm "familiar" with it.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 21 2014, 6:19pm

Post #55 of 55 (269 views)
Shortcut
I see [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I'd still like to hear your opinion on the film should you decide to watch it one day. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.