Rabid Fan Club?

"I'm a Male Barbie Doll!"

Historical FACT...about 2001 & beyond.

Well, so Now we have Lee Pace ...

who is even Taller?
who is Dressed to the Nines?
who has a Crown?
who is THE DUDE in Mirkwood?
who is Even Older than his "Not-so-Hot son".. anymore?
who is USA born & bred in CHICKasaw Oklahoma?
who has Better Eyebrows?
who has Better Lighting?
who can be a Sadist? & get away with it?
who has spoken only about 50 lines of dialogue... SOoo far?
who wears a Super-Hero CAPE?
who has MORE Elvish Moves than any Super Model?
who likely Never has to go to the Bathroom?
who has a MASSIVE Wardrobe Closet better than YOURz?
who has Better Make-up than YOURzz?

Finally: who has a SWORD that... Rivalzz ARAGORNzz?
(Who is quoted as saying the Fangirls
loved him since he has the Biggest Sword)

Viggo's Historical QUOTE... about 2002

SWING AWAY...Girls!

Bomby knowzz HOW to Duck
Blows to the Head

Crazy
Wink
Shocked

EvilHeart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 14 2014, 3:48pm

Post #2 of 24 (769 views)
Shortcut
WOWOWOW [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm party in agreement with you (not a Thranduil Thrall, or Thorin Thrall- both characters are highly intriguing as incredibly complex characters who are not without flaws and by no means perfect, and, as a fan fiction writer, extremely fun to write (I try to maintain character accuracy as much as possible to be true to the character) but not my type for sure!).

But man are you brave to do this on these boards!!!! And possibly a bit crazy lol....

You might enjoy a couple of fan fiction parodies in which the characters react to fan girls and mary sues- psst- I'll give you a hint: they don't survive long lol TongueAngelic

There's one where Fili gives a speech in a theater hall against fan girling while Kili is on the roof above the building taking pot shots at the fans for therapy, and another one where the company is camped out in the Troll shaws and each fan girl mary sue that comes screaming out gets knocked dead by one or the other members of the company lol.....they're hilarious!

Well, here's a shield to protect you from all the hurls and mud-slinging you're no doubt going to receive with this one! Evil Good luck!

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 14 2014, 4:32pm

Post #3 of 24 (735 views)
Shortcut
Puzzled [In reply to] Can't Post

No sling shot because not sure exactly what you mean, e.g. do you mean that are/were the hawt denizens of ME then and now, and there are a lot of similarities to that scenario re the Hobbit?

For me only personally, I'd say overall, why yesCool, casting ratcheted up off the chartsTongue since LOTR (while saying nothing against the LOTR cast, as Bloom IMO was a perfect elf among others). It's only to be expected that PJ & co. would become better and better with experience - what works, what doesn't.

(Am sure the Thranduil Thralls will have some fun here, but just sayin' seems to me having watched Lee Pace in interviews (and Richard Armitage, Dean O'Gorman, Aidan Turner for that matter) that they carry their fandom with a lot of grace - possibly because it's something they are more or less used to because they already HAD global contingents of crazed maenads.)

Anyway LOL I'm not seeing a problem here, SOMETIMES with casting audiences are just gifted with the total package of looks and abilityHeart, and in the case of the Hobbit, PJ & co. have been particularly sensitive in that regard .Cool

*Shrug* Peter Jackson evidently hand-picked Lee Pace and IMO for good reason - because Lee Pace has the height, looks, ability, and body to BE a beautiful, fey, deadly elven Woodland King, a character which has seized the imagination. We (the audience) I think are fortunate in that - what did PJ say in last year's DOS Empire article - that maybe 12-15% of the people in the world are suitable to play an elf - and a lead role, yet?

Of course casting/costumes would ratchet up with Thranduil. 'Coz he's the king with a pivotal role to play. The actor who played Thranduil needed to be MORE and remember this is supposed to be an ancient, beautiful, powerful being - no one was going to accept a short chunky clumsy elf with a skin problem and a squeaky voice as the Lord of Greenwood.Shocked

I'll just add that disagree that Thranduil is sadistic (like I would also disagree that Thorin will need redemption Mad but that's another threadUnimpressed). Sadism to me would imply behavior far, far worse - that would be Azog etc. just enjoying cruelty. As has been pointed out before, while the elves do imprison the dwarves, the dwarves had cleaned themselves which implies they were given water, and probably food. They weren't stripped of their clothes and I SUSPECT we will see in BOFA that Gloin has his locket since Kili was able to keep his rune stone and Oin his bag of medicines. None of the dwarves were beaten up just for fun. Elves are not hanging around the cells making rude remarks, and so on.

As far as telling Thorin the dwarves can stay and rot, well, yes, but Thranduil is turning the screws to get what he wants, I don't know I'd call that SADISTIC - more of a game where Thranduil knows he holds all the cards. Probably. Is it that different from Thror's behavior, years earlier? No way to really know.

HeartHeartHeart LOL the glory of it allTongue . And PS. we wants these swords, preciousssssssss. Orcrist needs some friends.

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

(This post was edited by Avandel on Sep 14 2014, 4:36pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 14 2014, 4:48pm

Post #4 of 24 (697 views)
Shortcut
OPPPPzzz.? Thizz .OP getz to edit that "WORD" [In reply to] Can't Post

Assassin for sadist
since Thranny ...dozzzzz
Be-Head an ORC
Right before our eyes...

Thatzz the Moment in the Movie
bomby waazz Driving @!

Jus' another
Brain-Cramp

(Senior Moment?) from
Bomby
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Sep 14 2014, 4:56pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 14 2014, 5:31pm

Post #5 of 24 (685 views)
Shortcut
Perfectly understandable.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing as it's Sunday in the U.S. and we are not supposed to be thinking hard. (I'm thinking I need to go the store....Cool)

WhoopsWink

Anyway, no-one wants a wimpy king who can't defend his realm. (But who was the poor elf who had to clean up the mess???Cool)

Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar

Swingcatpdx
The Shire

Sep 14 2014, 6:06pm

Post #6 of 24 (659 views)
Shortcut
Poor Elf who cleans up the mess? [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor Elf who probably cleans up the mess............TAURIEL OF COURSE!!

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 14 2014, 8:38pm

Post #7 of 24 (614 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you, Bomby... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I much prefer Thorin. But as not to anger any of Thranduil's Thralls, I won't throw anything at their preference. Thranduil's too cold and arrogant for my tastes, so I'll stick with Thorin. Also, I've never been that much of an Elf fan (not that I dislike them or anything. I guess I just don't have enough in common with them, so I find it hard to relate to these particular characters). And I never (or hardly ever) go for blondes, whether it's the character or the actor. You're much more mysterious if you have dark hair, and I don't know about any of you, but I like a little mystery in my life. And long, straight hair? Boooring! Everyone knows that long, curly hair is much more enticing. I'm not sure if there are many Thorin Thralls that wouldn't want to run our fingers through that hair (myself included)! Luckily, my own hair is pretty close (but more the color of Fili's, and finally starting to gain some length, so it won't be long until I can finally use those dwarven hair beads I bought from an online company called Dwarvendom).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

VValar
Gondor

Sep 14 2014, 8:54pm

Post #8 of 24 (616 views)
Shortcut
What's not to love about Thranduil? [In reply to] Can't Post

For all the wonderful reasons you just listed (and editted sadist into assassin). How can one not love the gorgeous, enigmatic, Majestic, etherial, graceful yet strong and very wise ElvenKing with the perfect hair and unparalelled fightingskills portrayed by LP, the only person imaginable to fit this role?

I mean, it doesn't get any better than this Heart

I don't see him as a 'Male Barbie Doll' at all. He is too cool for that Cool

In Reply To
Finally: who has a SWORD that... Rivalzz ARAGORNzz?

*cough* tops that

Let's go through your list to prove LP is perfect, therefor Thranduil is perfect and PJ and co were geniuses for casting him.

who is even Taller? Check
who is Dressed to the Nines? Such class
who has a Crown? Two Heart (at least)
who is THE DUDE in Mirkwood? Not just Mirkwood
who is Even Older than his "Not-so-Hot son".. anymore? Son is still cute though, thanks to his daddy's genes
who is USA born & bred in CHICKasaw Oklahoma? Not his fault
who has Better Eyebrows? The brows have their own fanbase
who has Better Lighting? He's radiant, shadow cannot touch him
who can be an Assassin Angelic & get away with it? This will never be not Epic (more goodness to come in BOFA)
who has spoken only about 50 lines of dialogue... SOoo far? Just wait for the DOS EE
who wears a Super-Hero CAPE? One doesn't get any more fab
who has MORE Elvish Moves than any Super Model? The embodiement of a true Elf
who likely Never has to go to the Bathroom? Lol
who has a MASSIVE Wardrobe Closet better than YOURz? Yes, unfortunately
who has Better Make-up than YOURzz? Undoubtedly

(This post was edited by VValar on Sep 14 2014, 8:55pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 14 2014, 10:57pm

Post #9 of 24 (577 views)
Shortcut
Bomby, there's a fine line between courage and foolishness. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're so far past that line you can't even see it, buddy. Crazy

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 15 2014, 12:26am

Post #10 of 24 (577 views)
Shortcut
Nah, says Thranduil's Thrall #1. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he has actually kinda made 'our' argument for 'us'. ;)

[Wasn't a Leggy Fangirl at all. That one was pretty much a Middle-earth Barbie. Viggo certainly was much "hotter" than I'd ever imagined Book Aragorn. His voice was, uh..'off', though, IMO. Thranduil, however, is just perfectly cast, in my not so humble opinion. I'd never been a "Pervy Elf-Fancier", but I'm willing to make an exception for Leggy's old man. ;) ]

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Sep 15 2014, 12:29am)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2014, 12:47am

Post #11 of 24 (537 views)
Shortcut
Those parodies sound hysterical.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to look them up!! Laugh

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 15 2014, 8:37am

Post #12 of 24 (504 views)
Shortcut
EOPW for the WIN! [In reply to] Can't Post

A bomby "Pretzel Logic"?
wordsmithin' GAME..

Present The Problem
Propose The Solution

BUT, Make everyone THINK?

Also known as "Mobius Logic"
that leads nowhere?

www.charlie-art.biz

Noria
Gondor

Sep 15 2014, 12:37pm

Post #13 of 24 (480 views)
Shortcut
Brave man, Bomby and I actually agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

While I appreciate the eye candy immensely, it doesn't affect my opinion that both Thranduil and Thorin are jerks sometimes, though not by any means villains. Neither of them minds trampling over other people to get what they want. They are also very interesting, charismatic and engaging characters, as well as beautiful, cool and badass.

But all the beauty, coolness and badassery in the world does not excuse some of the things that each of them has done and I have to suspect, will do.

And yes I think Thorin and to an extent Thranduil will need redemption.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 12:55am

Post #14 of 24 (440 views)
Shortcut
More than beauty and badassery + Thorin's brother and Thranduil's father [In reply to] Can't Post

But all the beauty, coolness and badassery in the world does not excuse some of the things that each of them has done and I have to suspect, will do.

Tho not to belabor multiple threads already posted discussing a need for redemption vs. my own feeling of if you walk through fire, multiple fires, and live, you'll come out scarred, and Thorin and Thranduil are far more interesting and REALISTIC and charismatic as characters. If anything, they are redemption in the ME films from impossible "goodness" and *cough* do-nothingness *cough*. Evil

Also unfortunate IMO that more of Thranduil's backstory was not fleshed out, and on top of all of the other tragedies that Thorin has suffered I regret the loss of his brother Frerin at Azanulbizar was not touched on.Unsure

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 4:28am

Post #15 of 24 (413 views)
Shortcut
Try this on for size, right in the TORn playground [In reply to] Can't Post

Kerewyn's "An Unexpected Flashback"

EvilAngelic

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 4:31am

Post #16 of 24 (418 views)
Shortcut
Lovely images, and with apologies to the OP, OT questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Mind to provide the source for that Oropher fanart, if it's not too much trouble that is?

And was the Frerin image a fanart or did something get shot for the movies and got left out?

Thanks.

Fan of both books and movies; I am a lurker by nature though it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A writing triangle with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 11:28am

Post #17 of 24 (405 views)
Shortcut
Imagery [In reply to] Can't Post

The first image is Tumblr via Google, if you search Google "Oropher" and click images it should show up, unfortunately the image I found isn't much bigger than what I posted. But I am no good with Tumblr itself.Unimpressed

The second image is via Deviant Art and no, not part of these films at all - search Deviant Art "Frerin" and there are a few art pieces. The one I posted is huge - evidently from description woman in Sicily? used a friend as a model to create IMO a lovely photo/paintingHeart of what she imagined Frerin might have looked like.

(I suppose including Frerin was hardly critical the way PJ has handled things, or Oropher, but both these characters for me (tho not mentioned much) are haunting to think of, and the effect their loss would have had on Thorin and Thranduil, respectively.Frown)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 12:46pm

Post #18 of 24 (395 views)
Shortcut
Much appreciated [In reply to] Can't Post

Found the Oropher image almost immediately, though the narrative says it's ThranduilTongue In case you didn't know about it: I followed the source link cited-=very strange site to navigate, apparently translated via Google, found the source image after some doing, it's 71KB, vs the 42KB you posted. For your info since it's not allowing me to get to the image link or copy it.Crazy

Found Frerin too. Very Interesting. Have to wonder what Dis' perspective is at the end of things.

In Reply To
(I suppose including Frerin was hardly critical the way PJ has handled things, or Oropher, but both these characters for me (tho not mentioned much) are haunting to think of, and the effect their loss would have had on Thorin and Thranduil, respectively.Frown)

There's been discussion on both Thranduil and Thorin's psyches from their life experiences. Won't delve into it since this is an ANTI Thranduil thread, so anything sympathetic would be OT, but just want to say, I do believe, and have said so, there's parallels to the two despite their differences, perceived or otherwise, and they make for very interesting counter-foil to each other. They have the characteristics of their respective races which I feel can only intensify their feels whether cuddly or mopey. Of course I feel more for Elves who have forever to live with and feel their sadness intensify, though I do believe Dwarves with their fierce loyalty and hardiness have their own particular set of issues dealing with loss.

All right, I'm out of here. Again, thanks for sharing about the image sources.

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Sep 16 2014, 12:52pm)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Sep 16 2014, 1:14pm

Post #19 of 24 (387 views)
Shortcut
What VValar says. [In reply to] Can't Post

Except that I might add/revise that the Elven King wears no make-up; the Elven King needs no make-up. He's just got it going on. Those eyelids that look like they've had some shadow application - that there is a natural 'smokey eye' created by LP's sensational double-hooded lids. (and here's where I should post a close-up to explain, but the lateness of hour in my region is incompatible with my image-posting 'patience'. Soz.) Tongue

That is all.

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

Noria
Gondor

Sep 16 2014, 2:00pm

Post #20 of 24 (387 views)
Shortcut
Avandel, I see things differently. [In reply to] Can't Post

While I love both Thranduil and Thorin as characters and agree that their flaws makes them even more interesting, I try not to let their beauty and awesomeness and badassery blind me. It’s very interesting to try to understand why they do what they do, good and bad, and one feels compassion, but IMO their respective tragic histories do not give either a free pass.

Just like in real life, where we are all responsible for our actions in the present, regardless of our pasts.

IMO the only back history for any of the characters that really exists in the movieverse is what we see on the screen.

Anyway, to each his own.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Sep 16 2014, 2:04pm

Post #21 of 24 (379 views)
Shortcut
Lemme help ya Kerewyn [In reply to] Can't Post

I know the pic you're thinking of Smile

Helpful closeup

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 5:34pm

Post #22 of 24 (376 views)
Shortcut
True enough tho [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like in real life, where we are all responsible for our actions in the present, regardless of our pasts.

As always - since there were past threads on this - for me one of the complications is that from the perspective of more or less different races, what "man" might find troubling (or not) can be vastly different than the perspective of an elf or dwarf. And the other complication is that I don't particularly view either Thranduil's or Thorin's behavior as "bad", for reasons that were stated in other posts. It may not always be warm and fuzzy from a human perspective, but both are great leaders in their own right who care deeply for their people and have paid heavily for being those leaders.

And again on the other hand I find the lack of action, or behaviors of Gandalf and the wizards, far more troublesome, e.g. for instance as depicted in the films Radagast. Unimpressed E.g., I see things, and not sure why some DO seem to get a pass.Unsure There's a line from Star Trek of all places, but it's always stuck in my head, when Captain Picard is chewing out someone for staying silent "A lie of omission is still a lie." E.g. it also seems to me that to do nothing can still be a wrong.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 6:17pm

Post #23 of 24 (370 views)
Shortcut
Don't understand the makeup issue since this is film [In reply to] Can't Post

*Shrug* I think a lot of the characters are wearing some eye makeup to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the lighting and the scene, but not sure why this would be an issue at all - as often has been said, the lights on set and cameras bleed the colors out. If I've noticed any of the eye makeup at all, it's only in extreme close-up 3 feet from a large television - and it's been a feeling of admiration and envy of the job that was done on Tauriel's flawless, clump-free eyelashes. And everyone is wearing foundation - as Martin Freeman said, without makeup you just look washed out.

Nevertheless both Lee Pace and Richard Armitage have wonderful skin - for guys - and it's just been another fortunate asset for their characters and their careers, overall.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 16 2014, 6:18pm

Post #24 of 24 (371 views)
Shortcut
You are right about that site [In reply to] Can't Post

MehUnimpressed

Too bad, it's a nice image.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.