Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What do your family and friends think of the time you spend on TORn?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What do your family and friends think of the time you spend on TORn?
They totally support my geekdom and even encourage it! 11 / 19%
They tolerate my geekdom, but don't encourage it. 17 / 29%
They have no clue about my geekdom. 6 / 10%
They roll their eyes a lot, and pat me on the head. 22 / 38%
Hey, TORn *is* my family and friends! 2 / 3%
58 total votes

Elanor
Bree

Mar 20 2007, 3:47pm

Post #26 of 34 (155 views)
Shortcut
They really don't have much of a clue. [In reply to] Can't Post

They know I watch the films, which my husband takes as a bit of a compliment since he gave me the Extended DVDs as a birthday present, Precious... but they don't know how much time we spends on the computer at the local library (because the home computers currently won't access TORn, no, they won't, Precious...) nor are they aware of the hours we spends on our own in the house watching the filmses and the Appendiceses...

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2007, 7:01am

Post #27 of 34 (136 views)
Shortcut
We're sharing a passion here, yes... Welcome, welcome !!! :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2007, 7:27am

Post #28 of 34 (171 views)
Shortcut
Alone at first, did win some support in family and 'contagioned some friends!!! :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess if I was still a youngster my family would frown upon me, and try to orient me towards more serious passions, but as I just reached 62 and am already since long living apart from them, a supposedly serious and honored Researcher in Conscious Evolution, they have to take me at least seriously...
Furthermore, my much younger sister and her kids, at first very reluctant and suspicious when they came to visit me, now love the LOTR films as much as their beloved Matrix!!!
I did 'contagion' also several of my closest collaborators, who by now are nearly as much geeks as I am; nearly only, because they haven't yet discovered the joys of being a TORnsib!!!
But besides those few, I cannot talk with anybody else about that passion of mine, and we are all very busy...
So, now, I just give talks and lectures about it as part of my work, and THAT makes me very happy... except I never can say enough on that beloved topic!...
But besides those blessed moments lecturing about it (about the films too, of course), the rest of my days are rather lonely, and with not often time enough to rush and be with you all on TORn for a little while... Unsure Heart

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2007, 7:31am

Post #29 of 34 (129 views)
Shortcut
I want to add: a passion for something truly beautiful and inspiring... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Donry
Tol Eressea

May 11 2007, 12:31am

Post #30 of 34 (136 views)
Shortcut
Geek. [In reply to] Can't Post

The amount of time I spend scrolling through different LOTR websites, reading the books, watching the movies, throwing out lines and otherwise just being a 'RInger', my family and friends think I'm a total Lord of the Rings geek. Also, Star Wars, Potter, Bond.....the list goes on and on....

Dagonet
Lorien

Sep 27 2007, 7:52pm

Post #31 of 34 (169 views)
Shortcut
Well, now [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of my friends and family think I'm wasting my time... but of course I'm not!

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 3 2009, 6:51pm

Post #32 of 34 (118 views)
Shortcut
no vote [In reply to] Can't Post

What family?Wink

Analeewyn
Lorien

May 23 2009, 10:52pm

Post #33 of 34 (152 views)
Shortcut
Lots of rolling eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish my family at least enjoyed watching the movies with me. We have very different taste. My husband is all about fishing and sports. The only movie we share is Star Wars. At least I can get that much geekiness out of him. Yes, I have had the patting on the head a few times as I try to explain why New Zealand would be a great vacation spot. Oh, how I love that TORn exists. Coming here is the one way I can remind myself that I am not alone in the universe. Crazy

balinman
Rivendell

Nov 12 2009, 7:46pm

Post #34 of 34 (432 views)
Shortcut
total support [In reply to] Can't Post

my family totally supports meCool

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.