Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Alternate Version of Riddles in the Dark

Sweetpea

Sep 11 2014, 3:06am

Post #1 of 6 (279 views)
Shortcut
The Alternate Version of Riddles in the Dark Can't Post

I'm just curious if there is anywhere online where I can read the original version of Riddles in the Dark. I have searched around and found many synopses, but no where to actually read the chapter.
Thanks! Heart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 11 2014, 3:47am

Post #2 of 6 (187 views)
Shortcut
Local library [In reply to] Can't Post

Try your local library system for The History of The Hobbit byJohn D. Rateliff. The book has been published both in two volumes and in a single-volume edition.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Sweetpea

Sep 11 2014, 4:23am

Post #3 of 6 (184 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! I just checked the online catalogue and they do have it!

Cillendor
Lorien

Sep 11 2014, 6:35pm

Post #4 of 6 (173 views)
Shortcut
Try this: [In reply to] Can't Post

(Link removed as it goes to copyrighted material - Ataahua.)

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 11 2014, 10:10pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 11 2014, 9:28pm

Post #5 of 6 (155 views)
Shortcut
That site is a copyright violation [In reply to] Can't Post

Those who approve of courtesy (at least) to living authors will avoid it, and search out either Rateliff's The History of the Hobbit (as already mentioned above) or Doug Anderson's Annotated Hobbit, which also contains the original version of "Riddles in the Dark".

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Cillendor
Lorien

Sep 12 2014, 7:46pm

Post #6 of 6 (151 views)
Shortcut
Sorry! :-S [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't even think about that, I just googled it once and ran into that site. I won't refer anyone there anymore.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.