TIME - September 9
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 1:41am

Post #26 of 34 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf exaggerate? Naaaaaahhhhhhh ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the stair wrap around and around and around Orthanc :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 10:31am

Post #27 of 34 (1333 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 16 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

September 16, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo feels the strain.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."Bilbo did not like being depended upon by everyone, and he wished he had the wizard at hand. But that was no use: probably all the dark distance of Mirkwood lay between them."

September 16, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. Bilbo begins sending invitations.
(not from the appendices)
..."Before long the invitations began pouring out, and the Hobbiton post-office was blocked, and the Bywater post-office was snowed under, and voluntary assistant postmen were called for... ...a constant stream of them going up the Hill, carrying hundreds of polite variations on 'Thank you, I shall certainly come.'
...A Notice appeared on the gate at Bag End: NO ADMITTANCE EXCEPT ON PARTY BUSINESS."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 1:10pm

Post #28 of 34 (1336 views)
Shortcut
"300 lives of Men" [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course that was hyperbole from the film.

In the book I think he also used metaphor, irony, metonmyne, asteismus, and quite a few other figures of speech.

It's almost like he was written by some sort of language professor or something!Wink

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City:

There's a Great Darkness over the Pelennor,
There's a Great Darkness over the Pelennor!
Our spears’ nowhere as high as an Oliphaunt’s eye,
And the field’s full of orcs, wargs and huge Olog-hai!

Oh what a Rohirrim morning,
Oh what a Rohirrim day!
We've got a wonderful feeling,
We shall kill thousands today!

Oh, we’ll kill us some Easterling Variags,
And know we’re not given to idle brags,
We’ll battle and vanquish the Black Serpent King,
And even an undying dwimmerlaik thing!

Oh what a Rohirrim morning,
Oh what a Rohirrim day!
We've got a wonderful feeling,
We shall kill thousands today!

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2014, 2:00pm

Post #29 of 34 (1321 views)
Shortcut
*high five* A real geeky one! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 17 2014, 1:15pm

Post #30 of 34 (1318 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

September 17, 3001 (S.R. 1401)
1. Bilbo party preparations keep him busy.
..."Even those who had, or pretended to have, Party Business were seldom allowed inside. Bilbo was busy: writing invitation, ticking off answers, packing up presents, and making some private preparations of his own. From the time of Gandalf's arrival he remained hidden from view."

September 17, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf is captive atop Orthanc.
..."'Fear was ever in my heart for my friends in the Shire... ...I hoped that Frodo has set forth at once, as my letter had urged, and that he had reached Rivendell before the deadly pursuit began. And both my fear and my hope proved ill-founded. For my hope was founded on a fat man in Bree; and my fear was founded on the cunning of Sauron. But fat men who sell ale have many calls to answer; and the power of Sauron is still less than fear makes it. But in the circle of Isengard, trapped and alone, it was not easy to think that the hunters before whom all have fled or fallen would falter in the Shire far away.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 18 2014, 10:03am

Post #31 of 34 (1307 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 18 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

September 18, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Company is still caught in Thranduil's caves.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
...Bilbo continues to ponder an escape plan as he listens, watches and waits.

September 18, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo prepares to leave Bag End for Crickhollow.
..."Bag End began to be busy. Some of Frodo's friends came to stay and help him with the packing: there was Fredegar Bolger and Folco Boffin, and of course his special friends Pippin Took and Merry Brandybuck. Between them they turned the whole place upside-down."

2. Gandalf escapes from Orthanc in the early hours. The Black Riders cross the Fords of Isen.
(from the appendices)
..."'Those of you who know me will agree that I have seldom been in such need, and do not bear such misfortune well. Gandalf the Grey caught like a fly in a spider's treacherous web! Yet even the most subtle spiders may leave a weak thread.
...'At first I feared, as Saruman no doubt intended, that Radagast had also fallen. Yet I had caught no hint of anything wrong in his voice or in his eye at our meeting... ...He sought me in good faith, and so persuaded me.
...'That was the undoing of Saruman's plot. For Radagast knew no reason why he should not do as I asked; and he rode away towards Mirkwood where he had many friends of old. And the Eagles of the Mountains went far and wide, and they saw many things: the gathering of wolves and the mustering of Orcs; and the Nine Riders going hither and thither in the lands; and they heard news of the escape of Gollum. And they sent a messenger to bring these tidings to me.
...'So it was that when summer waned, there came a night of moon, and Gwaihir the Windlord... ...came unlooked-for to Orthanc; and he found me standing on the pinnacle. Then I spoke to him and he bore me away, before Saruman was aware. I was far from Isengard, ere the wolves and orcs issued from the gate to pursue me.
...'"How far can you bear me?" I said to Gwaihir.
...'"Many leagues," said he, "but not to the ends of the earth. I was sent to bear tidings not burdens."
...'"Then I must have a steed on land," I said, 'and a steed surpassingly swift, for I have never had such need of haste before."
...'"Then I will bear you to Edoras, where the Lord of Rohan sits in his halls..."'"

[league = 3 miles]

September 18, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
The Company rides to Rivendell
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Gandalf, the hobbits and Elrond with his company continue at their leisure on their journey to Rivendell as Saruman makes his way to the Shire.

September 18, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The hobbits adjust.
..."Frodo and Sam went back to ordinary attire, except that when there was need they both wore long grey cloaks, finely woven and clasped at the throat with beautiful brooches; and Mr. Frodo wore always a white jewel on a chain that he often would finger."

September 18, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. The family in Bag End.
...Frodo found himself watching Sam as he moved about Bag End, often with little Elanor cradled in one of his strong, weathered arms. He suddenly became aware that he had contemplated a hope, a presumption, that would comfort himself in his decision; but would it be fair to Sam? The answer was clear to him. He looked over at Rosie as she set plates and cups on the table and she looked up at him and smiled. Frodo smiled in return. "I'll fetch Sam for you, Rosie. Then I'll come help you finish with the table."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 10:40am

Post #32 of 34 (1313 views)
Shortcut
TIME - September 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

September 19, 3018
1. Gandalf comes to Edoras as a beggar, and is refused admittance.
(from the appendices)
..."'...[Gwaihir] set me down in the land of Rohan ere dawn... ...In Rohan I found evil already at work: the lies of Saruman...'"
...Éomer recounts:] "'Indeed since his last coming in the summer all things have gone amiss. At that time our trouble with Saruman began. Until then we counted Saruman our friend, but Gandalf came... ...and warned us that sudden war was preparing in Isengard. He said that he himself had been a prisoner in Orthanc and had hardly escaped, and he begged for help. But Théoden would not listen to him, and he went away.'"

September 19, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Company continues to ride toward home.
...Elrond and his people, Gandalf and the hobbits continue at their leisure on their journey to Rivendell as Saruman makes his way to the Shire.

September 19, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Life seems to return to normal in the Shire.
..."All thing now went well, with hope always of becoming still better; and Sam was as busy and as full of delight as even a hobbit could wish. Nothing for him marred that whole year, except for some vague anxiety about his master. Frodo dropped quietly out of all the doings of the Shire, and Sam was pained to notice how little honour he had in his own country. Few people knew... ...about his deeds and adventures; their admiration and respect were given mostly to Mr. Meriadoc and Mr. Peregrin and (if Sam had known it) to himself. Also in the autumn there appeared a shadow of old troubles."

September 19, 3021 (S.R. 1421)
1. Frodo quietly makes plans.
...'"Little Elanor was nearly six months old, and 1421 had passed to its autumn, when Frodo called Sam into the study.
...'It will be Bilbo's Birthday on Thursday, Sam,' he said. 'And he will pass the Old Took. He will be a hundred and thirty-one!'
...'So he will!' said Sam. 'He's a marvel!'
...'Well, Sam... ...I want you to see Rose and find out if she can spare you, so that you and I can go off together. You can't go far or for a long time now, of course,' he said a little wistfully.
...'Well, not very well, Mr. Frodo.'
...'Of course not. But never mind. You can see me on my way. Tell Rose that you won't be away very long, not more than a fortnight; and you'll come back quite safe.'
...'I wish I could go all the way with you to Rivendell... ...see Mr. Bilbo,' said Sam. 'And yet the only place I really want to be in is here. I am that torn in two.'
...'Poor Sam! It will feel like that, I am afraid,' said Frodo. 'But you will be healed. You were meant to be solid and whole, and you will be.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 7:52pm

Post #33 of 34 (1285 views)
Shortcut
Septebarrr 19, 3018 [In reply to] Can't Post

That blasted overgrown albatross jettisoned me right square in th' midst o' Rohan afore th' mornin' watch... An' there I finds skulduggery afoot, the thrice-damned lies o' that scurvy swab Saruman, may he rot in Ulmo's Locker, yarrrr...

Aye, since his last v'yage in hurricane season all's been capsized. That were when th' freebootin' o' that jackanape Saruman set sail. Afore then, we accounted scurvy Saruman as a right good shipmate, true as oak, but ol' Grey Gandalf dropped anchor in our harbor, an' he says, "Be ye warned! A black fleet makes sail in Isengarrrd!" He hisself was clapped in irons, marooned on th' masthead o' Arrthanc an' took French leave by th' skin o' his teeth, an a-begin' fer rescue, but Cap'n Theoden turned a deaf ear, so away he sailed without so much as a by yer leave, may th' Watcher gnaw me bones if it ain't so, says I, by thunder!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 19 2014, 9:07pm

Post #34 of 34 (1299 views)
Shortcut
Double LOL – Aaarg! An’ a rrousin’ good tale she be Menelderrr. Thank ye! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Excuse me, excuse me. What does God need with a Starship?
James T. Kirk --S.T. V

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.