The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Thorin or Aragorn

ImetLEGOLAS
Rivendell

Sep 8 2014, 5:11am

Post #1 of 14 (492 views)
Shortcut
Thorin or Aragorn Can't Post

What would happen if Thorin and Aragorn actually met. I am sure they would get into an argument but Aragorn would be the one to just walk away from a fight with Thorin. What do you think? Who would you side with?

FYI I LOVE THEM BOTH!

I MET ORLANDO!!! And Sir Ian Mckellen, Andy Serkis, Lee Pace and Peter Jackson!!! Elves taught trees!!!

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 8 2014, 1:18pm

Post #2 of 14 (327 views)
Shortcut
why do you think they would get in an argument [In reply to] Can't Post

... that would result in a potential fight?

It seems out of character for both, to me.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 8 2014, 1:40pm

Post #3 of 14 (327 views)
Shortcut
Because they're both great leaders with distinctly different personalities. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin has a tendency to get offended and angry easily. He is just an angry sort of person. So image something Aragorn intentionally said would offend him somehow. Thorin is also very stubborn. Working together as war leaders would not end well because of Thorin's pride.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 8 2014, 2:00pm

Post #4 of 14 (329 views)
Shortcut
was this a reply to me? [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like it is but you hit reply on the first post by ImetLEGOLAS.
So image something Aragorn intentionally said would offend him somehow.
Again, can't imagine Aragorn intentionally saying something that would offend someone. Aragorn went out of his way at Minas Tirith to not stir up an issue with his claim to the throne, for example. He moderated calm a number of times in Rohan.

Working together as war leaders would not end well because of Thorin's pride.
The premise was 'Aragorn and Thorin meeting'... not working together as war leaders.

I could not imagine the Aragorn I know from the books meeting Thorin, saying something intentionally to offend him such that blows were ready to be struck and he'd have to walk away to keep from clocking Thorin. I can't imagine Thorin being ready to fight Aragorn such that Aragorn would have to walk away.

That seems like a 20/21st century tv show scene... not a Middle-earth scene - at least not in the book-verse.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 8 2014, 2:00pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 8 2014, 7:43pm

Post #5 of 14 (298 views)
Shortcut
Sic 'em Magpie, I'm behind you all the way [In reply to] Can't Post

The original "argument" question seems almost like a non sequitur to me. Blush

OP - Try this "fight" on "The Arena" ! Romp, stomp, squish - no more Thorin!! CrazyTongue

"Excuse me, excuse me. What does God need with a Starship?
James T. Kirk --S.T. V

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 8 2014, 8:49pm

Post #6 of 14 (294 views)
Shortcut
lol... anything goes in the Arena [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be trying to apply book-logic over there. :-)

Ostadan
Rivendell

Sep 8 2014, 9:03pm

Post #7 of 14 (305 views)
Shortcut
It Must Have Happened [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What would happen if Thorin and Aragorn actually met. I am sure they would get into an argument but Aragorn would be the one to just walk away from a fight with Thorin. What do you think? Who would you side with?

FYI I LOVE THEM BOTH!

ImetLEGOLAS
Rivendell

Sep 10 2014, 7:09pm

Post #8 of 14 (252 views)
Shortcut
Both great characters! My fans...but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn would seem calmer than Thorin. He wouldn't be quick to judge Gandalf's advice, intact I think Aragorn would rather Gandalf be in charge. Aragorn seems more peaceful than Thorin but would stand up to him in these crucial times. Yet I truly think Aragorn would walk away from stubborn Thorin, and in the end Thorin would understand and turn a new leaf.

I think Aragorn would hit it off with Bard however. Legolas would probably introduce them LOL and they would go to a pub and smoke pipes.

I MET ORLANDO!!! And Sir Ian Mckellen, Andy Serkis, Lee Pace and Peter Jackson!!! Elves taught trees!!!

ImetLEGOLAS
Rivendell

Sep 10 2014, 7:15pm

Post #9 of 14 (240 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure they both hate something equally...typos [In reply to] Can't Post

Infact*Frown

dreamflower
Lorien

Sep 10 2014, 8:04pm

Post #10 of 14 (249 views)
Shortcut
Book or movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

Book-verse Aragorn would have been Estel at the time, a well-brought up ten year old member of Elrond's household. I seriously doubt that he would offend Thorin, save perhaps by accident; in which case Thorin would probably be more amused than truly offended.

Move-verse Aragorn would have been somewhere in his twenties (I know PJ's timeline is between ten to seventeen years off from the book.) Perhaps, being young and ready to go on his own adventures, I can see him trying to get Thorin to take him along--they could argue over that. Or perhaps he overhears some of the Dwarven insults towards Rivendell and takes offense on Elrond's behalf.

Still, I can't see either of them allowing it to escalate into a real fight. It would be a breach of hospitality on Aragorn's part, and being a poor guest on Thorin's part.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 10 2014, 8:41pm

Post #11 of 14 (251 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Move-verse Aragorn would have been somewhere in his twenties (I know PJ's timeline is between ten to seventeen years off from the book.)

Yeah. I estimate film-Aragorn to be as young as 25 years or no older than 27 at the time of Thorin's quest. However, this is the sort of "what-if" question where their relative ages are irrelevant.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 10 2014, 8:42pm)

dreamflower
Lorien

Sep 10 2014, 11:22pm

Post #12 of 14 (247 views)
Shortcut
I figured as much [In reply to] Can't Post

But for me the fascination would be encounters such as I described. I've read several stories in which little Estel encounters Bilbo, but I'd love to see one in which he encounters Thorin! And the idea of a young and slightly more impulsive Aragorn in his twenties encountering Thorin, rather than the experienced, patient and world-weary one of LotR would also be more interesting to me.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2014, 11:13pm

Post #13 of 14 (253 views)
Shortcut
To be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that Thorin was more similar to Boromir than Aragorn in that he rowed with Gandalf and didn't take everything the Wizard said to heart

ImetLEGOLAS
Rivendell

Dec 23 2014, 5:48am

Post #14 of 14 (154 views)
Shortcut
Fight [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin would challenge Aragorn to a fight, but Aragorn would light his pipe and walk away in the rainy woods.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.