The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Queen City Conquest 2014

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 7 2014, 3:24pm

Post #1 of 3 (4211 views)
Shortcut
Queen City Conquest 2014 Can't Post

The gaming convention Queen City Conquest is being held this year from Friday, September 19 (coinciding with Talk Like a Pirate Day!), to Sunday, September 21, at the Buffalo-Niagara Convention Center in Buffalo, NY. There are no Tolkien/Middle-earth themed events on the schedule, but my life-mate (the lovely Tayna) has signed up to run a session of Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space. I might have my set of the Hobbit Tales storytelling card game on me, in case we can arrange a pick-up game. Unfortunately, I decided that I was not up to running another session of The One Ring Roleplaying Game, but I would certainly be willing to sign up for or sit in on such a game if someone else is running it!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 19 2014, 1:44pm

Post #2 of 3 (4128 views)
Shortcut
Game day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or, rather, game weekend. I didn't sign up to run any events, but I am taking the Hobbit Tales card game with me. On Saturday, my lovely wife Tayna is running a session of the current Doctor Who rpg and I will take part in that.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 22 2014, 2:56pm

Post #3 of 3 (4178 views)
Shortcut
Convention Report [In reply to] Can't Post

Day 1. Queen City Conquest 2015 overlapped with Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19) so the theme of the con was "Pillage and Plunder." A plethora of pirate-themed board and card games were available in the open gaming rooms. Tayna and I had not signed up for any games for this day but we got our hack on by sitting in on a HackMaster game that took us through the evening session. Much fun was had.

Day 2. We skipped the morning session (both on Saturday and Sunday) in preference to getting a good night's sleep. Tayna's Doctor Who game started at 1:00 p.m.; she registered late and didn't have any players signed up in advance. However, there was plenty of spill-over from the other table running DW:AITAS so we still managed a full complement for her game! The plot involved Companions seemingly lost in fog on a distant planet, Triffids, and a Dream Lord. It was a blast! Dinner was at the Century Grill around the corner from the convention center. Good food and drink for reasonable prices and a terrific atmosphere, but not recommended for vegetarians.

For the evening session, we both sat in on a Star Wars Saga game where a team of Rebels were initially trying to convince the Geonocians to side with us against the Empire. Things got increasingly more complicated when Imperial troops turned up. Ultimately, we succeeded in completing our objectives, but at the cost of a Total Party Kill (TPK). Btw, I was playing Chewbacca and my wife was Leia Organa.

Day 3. We split up on the final day of the con. Tayna sat in on a wild, home-brewed board game called Splat Amphitheatre (I think) where fuzzy, home-made monsters compete to be the last Thing standing. I took part in a playtest for another home-brewed game called Fast Dungeon. It has the makings for a good beer-and-pretzels game but needs a little more work. I look forward to the perfected version.

Tayna found some minature accessories for sale, but didn't turn up anything she wanted at the swap meet. I didn't end up purchasing anything other than food and drink. I never did run any games of Hobbit Tales. Next year (assuming we attend) I will probably have to formally sign up again to run a session (maybe even The One Ring as well).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.