The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
rather heated post

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 6 2014, 4:32am

Post #1 of 4 (346 views)
Shortcut
rather heated post Can't Post

I thing that, while people are entitled to their opinion (as well as have the right to love or hate TH movies) this poster may have gone a bit far:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=772197;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I don't know if this will link to the specific post, but there's a post on this thread that, in my opinion, is very rude and inviting argument (thankfully others haven't fed it). It also insults TORn, and those who appreciate the movies. Like I said, fine if a movie isn't appreciated, but don't personally insult those who actually like it (or the website you're posting on, for that matter Crazy).

Could the mods take a look please?

Thanks!

Edit- it's post #7 in flat mode Smile

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Sep 6 2014, 4:33am)

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 6 2014, 8:35am

Post #2 of 4 (255 views)
Shortcut
I'd say just leave it... [In reply to] Can't Post

... though some temper have been lost in the writing of this post, editing and deleting it now wouldn't do any good other than confirming the view of some people that the I view is "discriminated against". No conflict has arisen from it, so all is well :)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6 2014, 9:41am

Post #3 of 4 (262 views)
Shortcut
It's heated [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't think it crosses the line regarding our Terms of Service. Thanks for raising the question though.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 6 2014, 1:13pm

Post #4 of 4 (290 views)
Shortcut
How to link to a post [In reply to] Can't Post

For any post you want to link to, look along the left. You'll see:

member's name
posting level
date/time post was made
View count

and a link that says "Shortcut"

Click the link that says "Shortcut" and copy the url that appears in the address field at the top of the page.

alternately, right click on the link that says "Shortcut" and choose "Copy link address" (or whatever your browser happens to call that function)

This method should really always be used when linking to a post here. As you've noticed, when reading flat mode, there is no other way to directly link to a post in the thread. Even when reading in threaded mode (when we're always reading only one post), the url contains other information (our viewing preferences, etc)

Here's the url for your post (to which I'm replying) as it appears when I read it:
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=772369;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

Here's the url for the same post after I click "Shortcut"
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=772369#772369

See the difference?

The first method isn't wrong but it's longer than it needs to be. And if you've found an old post by searching and link to it using the address field, you'll see all the highlighting that the search function provides and most people don't want that.
Like this:
http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=746154;search_string=green%20heron;#746154

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.