The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hmm, LA residents may see BOFA in 4D?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 3 2014, 12:31am

Post #1 of 15 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, LA residents may see BOFA in 4D? Can't Post

It would have been great for DOS - Smaug scenes.

http://variety.com/...xclusive-1201295816/

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 3 2014, 1:20am

Post #2 of 15 (608 views)
Shortcut
It would be great... [In reply to] Can't Post

with that chair George Clooney was building in "Burn after reading"...
Sorry, I'm doing a marathon of Coen brothers' movies.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 9:08am

Post #3 of 15 (500 views)
Shortcut
I've always wanted a 360° cinema screen. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you imagine sitting in the middle of a 360° screen, watching the film unfold all around you! The Battle of the Five Armies would look tremendous!

It would be a logistical nightmare for the filmmakers, but well worth it.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Sep 3 2014, 1:09pm

Post #4 of 15 (459 views)
Shortcut
I would not like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hard to follow what happens on screen...
I like to see everything at once

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2014, 3:18pm

Post #5 of 15 (436 views)
Shortcut
Cinerama [In reply to] Can't Post

haha i remember Cinerama. I saw Sound of Music in it. Too fun.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 3 2014, 3:22pm

Post #6 of 15 (438 views)
Shortcut
Could you imagine the rancid smell of Smaug's lair and heat of his fire [In reply to] Can't Post

plus vibration from his movements? That would be quite an immersive experience. Plus, the sweet smells and cool breeze of fairer places. I am not sure how they
mix up the environmental scents but that would be a whole new career area...Theatrical Scentographer and Environmentalographer.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 3 2014, 3:24pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 2:22am

Post #7 of 15 (368 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

That might not be too far off in the future.

Virtual reality filmmaking has been taking off recently, and they've actually managed to logistically pull off a 360 degree view. The main issues seem to be that 1. that much in shot means that crew members cannot be anywhere near the filming area, and 2. unlimited framing means that the viewer can become distracted more easily (spacing out at a tree, when the intended action is taking place behind them). The kinks are still being worked out.

The potential is there, and coming fast!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 3:26am

Post #8 of 15 (368 views)
Shortcut
I don't see the lure of 360 degree viewing for the audience member. [In reply to] Can't Post

How would one attempt to watch such a film? Does your chair rotate with the scene? Dizziness? Neck strain?
To me, sounds like a pass. IMAX with the curved screen has its own issues at times.

cats16
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 3:50am

Post #9 of 15 (367 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

My understanding is that it would be some sort of VR headset, like the Occulus Rift. I would imagine some sort of moving floor/treadmill-like platform, which would allow for movement throughout the space. The question with it, I think, is how narrative story is integrated with this form. There would have to be some sort of controls in place to direct the viewer/participant into the action.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Sep 4 2014, 9:56am

Post #10 of 15 (350 views)
Shortcut
The 4th dimension is a hiked up ticket price [In reply to] Can't Post

It would seem.

* crunch *

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 2:34pm

Post #11 of 15 (318 views)
Shortcut
Well, eating popcorn and having a drink will be a challenge! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like a niche viewing offering.

duiker

Sep 4 2014, 4:39pm

Post #12 of 15 (307 views)
Shortcut
Strange?! Is it only in the US since june this year??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Strange?! Is it only in the US since june this year??? I live in Vietnam, and there they have already some cinemas in 4DX since january this year. I already experienced it with the movie Hercules a couple of months ago. The chair only moves a little bit, just enough to give you a feeling of moving in the movie. It is constructed in that way that you still can eat your popcorn and drink your drinks without making a mess. The wind, lights and smell effects are very nice and placed very well at the right moment. And don't worry, it is still easy enough to see the screen and you will not get neck problems and so on!!!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 5:10pm

Post #13 of 15 (306 views)
Shortcut
Not 360 degree viewing though, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

duiker

Sep 4 2014, 6:08pm

Post #14 of 15 (295 views)
Shortcut
No, that will be the next thing I think [In reply to] Can't Post

So, it will take some time before they develop a screen 360 dgrees around you. This is only a 2D screen with a 3D movie with sound, light, smell and movement effects (the chair moves with the movie). That is what 4DX is about, and that is what I experienced a few months ago when I visited a movie in 4DX here in Vietnam.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Sep 4 2014, 7:43pm

Post #15 of 15 (307 views)
Shortcut
Research on 2D vs 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

3-D film no more effective in evoking emotion than 2-D
Date:
September 4, 2014
Source:
University of Utah

"Researchers have examined whether 3-D film is more effective than 2-D when used as a research method for evoking emotion. Both were effective, and 3-D did not add incremental benefit over 2-D, with implications for emotional research as well as entertainment."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.