The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Honoring the Professor

KingFingolfin
The Shire

Sep 2 2014, 3:01pm

Post #1 of 8 (617 views)
Shortcut
Honoring the Professor Can't Post

On this day, 41 years ago...the man who wrote the greatest stories I have ever read passed into the west, thank you professor Tolkien.

Westu hįl. Feršu, Feršu. (Be-thou well. Go-thou, go-thou.)

(This post was edited by KingFingolfin on Sep 2 2014, 3:04pm)
Attachments: image.jpg (47.3 KB)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Sep 2 2014, 3:17pm

Post #2 of 8 (484 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always fount that flower to be particularly beautiful!
Westu Hal!

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Sep 2 2014, 3:17pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 2 2014, 3:18pm

Post #3 of 8 (494 views)
Shortcut
Hear! Hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! We are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory. - LOTR, Appendix A

KingFingolfin
The Shire

Sep 2 2014, 3:27pm

Post #4 of 8 (480 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful quote! [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2014, 4:47am

Post #5 of 8 (452 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

May his beloved memory stay ever fresh in our minds.

"And he sang to them, now in the Elven-tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."

Forty-one years ago, I was glancing through the newspaper in the college library, and came across the obituaries, and stumbled back to my dorm room, and cried and cried...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 2:32pm

Post #6 of 8 (437 views)
Shortcut
oh.... wonderful... // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 2:33pm

Post #7 of 8 (435 views)
Shortcut
*raises mug* To the Master [In reply to] Can't Post

In all sincerity, his work changed my life.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

silneldor
Half-elven

Sep 3 2014, 5:19pm

Post #8 of 8 (475 views)
Shortcut
I feel so very dearly for this man. [In reply to] Can't Post

[From a post year's ago]

I feel so very dearly for this man. He is built deep into the foundation of my spirit. The breadth of the value of what his works give is priceless and it is because of his indomitable loving heart.

I found one thing i very much liked and it is a quote from Kevin Roger Blacks book 'Where Shadows Lie' that i would like to offer in tribute:

Chapter I

Introduction: On the Writing and Reception of The Lord of the Rings

"In the months that have passed since my decision to write a thesis on J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, I have been approached by numerous people wanting to share their memories of reading the series, usually as young children. Very few could find words to express their feelings, but it was clear that most had a special affection, and even a reverence, for this work of which Tolkien said, "It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other." As for me, I confess to having spent most of my adolescence reading "adult" fantasy novels, a genre of fiction that Tolkien virtually created, and these books would occasionally move my impressionable young self to awe or tears. But The Lord of the Rings is the only book I can remember that ever caused me to stand up and cheer."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.