The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
More hiking photos.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 6:59pm

Post #1 of 8 (159 views)
Shortcut
More hiking photos. Can't Post

Yesterday I went on a solo hike up Halletts Peak (elevation 12,720 ft). (Uncle Baggins said it sounded too grueling for him.) It was kind of grueling; I was more out of shape than I've ever been on that hike before. But it's one of my favorite hikes anyway, and there's a spot on the way where I had left some of my mom's ashes four years ago (that rock wall on the top of Flattop) and it was good to visit that spot again. It took me twelve hours to do ten miles, and I'm hobbling around today, but it was totally worth it. When my mom was my age, and we did that hike, she kept saying, "Pretty good for an old lady." I found myself saying the same. I had an imaginary conversation with her on the trail yesterday: Me: "This would be a lot easier if I lost thirty pounds." Mom: "Oh, probably. And when you've lost *all* your weight, like I have, it's *really* easy."

photo album

BTW, that log in the fifth photo used to be a drinking fountain fifty years ago. A system of hollow logs brought the stream water into the hollowed-out log trough, and we'd dip our cups into it and drink. I wonder if anybody but me recognizes it now as they pass by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 31 2014, 7:01pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 1 2014, 1:23am

Post #2 of 8 (117 views)
Shortcut
"Ethel! Come lookit this human hiker!" [In reply to] Can't Post

How far away from you were those critters?

Amazing barren beauty, I always enjoy your pictures. Once you get past the steep slopes, it looks like a gentler walk across the summits - very pleasant! What was the temperature at the top?

And has that glacier been receding? Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 3:06am

Post #3 of 8 (110 views)
Shortcut
I was about ten feet away from the critters. [In reply to] Can't Post

My camera has a pretty good zoom.

I think the glaciers are smaller than they were when I was a kid.

Yes, that walk along the Continental Divide is really lovely. <3

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Elarie
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2014, 12:38pm

Post #4 of 8 (100 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful photos [In reply to] Can't Post

Those views are breathtaking. And your fuzzy little friends are adorable.

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 12:42pm

Post #5 of 8 (103 views)
Shortcut
The critters are a marmot and a pika, by the way. [In reply to] Can't Post

The marmot is a kind of groundhog, and the pika, though it looks like a rodent, is actually related to the rabbit.

I forgot to answer your question about the temperature. It was probably about sixty degrees. Maybe warmer, but it was windy.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 1 2014, 12:54pm

Post #6 of 8 (100 views)
Shortcut
Pika, that's it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I recognized the marmot, but don't see pikas that often! Laugh I bet they're related to jackalopes...Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Annael
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 3:55pm

Post #7 of 8 (96 views)
Shortcut
I still . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

want to slap you every time you call yourself an old lady. I'm older than you and I'M NOT OLD.

But then my parents are still alive, so I'm not the oldest generation in the family yet.

I love pika. They are disappearing due to global warming apparently, which makes me very sad.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 5:11pm

Post #8 of 8 (97 views)
Shortcut
I feel like an old lady today. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still hobbling around the house after that hike. But mostly I think I'm just overweight and out of shape.

I'm sorry to hear the pika are disappearing. I didn't know that. I love their cute faces, and their rubber-duckie squeaks.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.