Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Time for another thread about the trailer…
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 5:12pm

Post #26 of 32 (334 views)
Shortcut
My take [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not the films (plural) I don't like – it's DOS that I very much dislike in two or three places in particular, and I dislike the way the story has deviated from the original.

The talking raccoon in GotG is quite different – that film is in a different genre and the original source is a comic book, so the silliness works really well, in my view. I don't know the comics at all, but assume that there is some silliness in them, too.

It's the same with the original Doctor Who series. The creatures in that looked totally daft, but they worked well in the medium they were fitted into. (I won't get into the most recent episodes.)

The GotG film is not based on a classical body of literature, like the works of Tolkien, which don't in the least suit the banal, gross and crass, in my opinion. (I have no issues with the ice cart and rams, personally; it's other things that bother me.)

I haven't yet seen Into the Storm, but may still do so.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Aug 28 2014, 5:14pm)

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Aug 28 2014, 5:42pm

Post #27 of 32 (329 views)
Shortcut
Unknowns in GoG? [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely agree with you that GoG is a nice and enjoyable film that doesn't take itself too seriously, but it had some serious star-power behind it:

Chris Pratt
Vin Diesel
Bradley Cooper
Ben del Toro
John C. Reilly

Those are all pretty big names at the moment...of course several of them supply only the voices for wholly CG characters and aren't instantly recognizable, so I can see where you're coming from.

It certainly had more mainstream American actors than the Hobbit does (of course, that comes with the territory though).

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 7:14pm

Post #28 of 32 (320 views)
Shortcut
I said, and I quote: [In reply to] Can't Post

'I liked the fact that the actors were relatively unknown (at least to me).'

I've certainly never heard of Chris Pratt or John C. Reilly. I've heard of Vin Diesel, Benito (?) Del Toro and Bradley Cooper, but can only picture the first one (who I don't generally like very much as an actor or when it come to looks, so I don't see his films). I don't actually know what parts the latter three played, since I don't know their voices.

I agree with the remark in your final sentence. Smile

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 10:16pm

Post #29 of 32 (303 views)
Shortcut
agreed on the last sentence. [In reply to] Can't Post

And this is indeed what makes places like TORN so interesting :)

I also found DoS to be the much better made movie.

But it is good as it is with opinions :) As I said, GotG certainly is a good blockbuster. I just thought that it could only stand out to me compared to all the superhero overload recently. Not so much on its own terms. And humour and special effects were the two things I was a bit irritated about, as they got so much praise and I found them to be nothing special.

But I repeat myself :) Again, to each their own. :)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2014, 3:26pm

Post #30 of 32 (267 views)
Shortcut
The thing that i like about GotG, [In reply to] Can't Post

at least what i know of it (haven't seen it yet but will soon) is that yes it is technically a comic book movie, but it's not a super hero movie. Seems to me it's more of a sci-fi team of misfits kind of movie, with guns and spaceships instead of superpowers. I was pretty much done with the super hero movies about 5 years ago (whenever Iron Man 2 came out), but GotG looks really interesting to me. I only hope that they didn't go overboard with the Marvel Universe Continuity.

I don't generally think much of the comic-book films.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 29 2014, 3:56pm

Post #31 of 32 (265 views)
Shortcut
You must go and see it if you can [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a really refreshing change. I have to say that I was never very much taken by the 'superhero' films (too formulaic, too samey, too many of the same old actors, though I do rate Tom Hiddlestone in general).

In GotG I didn't see any continuity with the 'Marvel universe', personally – but then I wouldn't because I don't know that universe and it wasn't a part of my childhood, or adulthood for that matter.

I would be interested to hear what you have to say about GotG – best to go and see it without any preconceived ideas, as I did, so that you can make up your own mind without being influenced by others.

In Reply To
I was pretty much done with the super hero movies about 5 years ago (whenever Iron Man 2 came out), but GotG looks really interesting to me. I only hope that they didn't go overboard with the Marvel Universe Continuity.

I don't generally think much of the comic-book films.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 29 2014, 4:17pm

Post #32 of 32 (280 views)
Shortcut
Comic-book Movies [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
at least what i know of it (haven't seen it yet but will soon) is that yes it is technically a comic book movie, but it's not a super hero movie. Seems to me it's more of a sci-fi team of misfits kind of movie, with guns and spaceships instead of superpowers. I was pretty much done with the super hero movies about 5 years ago (whenever Iron Man 2 came out), but GotG looks really interesting to me. I only hope that they didn't go overboard with the Marvel Universe Continuity.

There are quite a few comic-book movies now that are not super-hero films. Their sheer variety shows that "comic-book move" is NOT a genre by itself. Some examples:
- Road to Perdition
- A History of Violence
- Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World
- Sin City
- Ghost World
- 30 Days of Night

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.