Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What do you think of this 'Alternate' BOTFA trailer? Hot or Not?

JackH

Aug 27 2014, 1:38pm

Post #1 of 23 (1667 views)
Shortcut
What do you think of this 'Alternate' BOTFA trailer? Hot or Not? Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93DXWzr_4YQ

(This post was edited by JackH on Aug 27 2014, 1:47pm)

JackH

Aug 27 2014, 3:08pm

Post #2 of 23 (910 views)
Shortcut
Arwen's Song in the Beginning... [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I like the second half of the trailer better. They used 'Arwen's Song' from Return of the King in the first half. It's a very elvish song for a very dwarvish movie. I guess the message of the song works though. Overall I liked it and thought I'd share. But I'm really torn about the use of 'Arwen's song' in the beginning.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 3:23pm

Post #3 of 23 (886 views)
Shortcut
Geeky Photography EDITING...Observation? [In reply to] Can't Post

When Thorin says the Word..."WAR"
his Mouth becomes Vertical
to pronounce it..

Then CUT to Sauron in Flames
WHICH
Looks like... Thorin's Mouth saying
"WAR"...??

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

tiamy
Rivendell

Aug 27 2014, 3:46pm

Post #4 of 23 (847 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's Song would be more appropriate IMHO [In reply to] Can't Post

I do wish that that song (the last track in the ROTK:CR) will be somehow referenced in BOTFA though...

JackH

Aug 27 2014, 3:53pm

Post #5 of 23 (870 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf saying 'So be it." [In reply to] Can't Post

He never says "So be it" in the original trailer. I wonder where that came from?

Reminds me a bit of one of the LOTR trailers

JackH

Aug 27 2014, 4:00pm

Post #6 of 23 (813 views)
Shortcut
Very true! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah that song would have been perfect. Too bad it's a little known, but amazing song from Howard Shore!

I hope they include it in the BOTFA movie. It would tie in so well with Fellowship.

And I hope we'll be seeing more of old Bilbo (Ian Holm) in this movie as well.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 4:40pm

Post #7 of 23 (859 views)
Shortcut
Not, I'd say.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The only merit it has is that it's always good to see clips from the film.

But otherwise....

In the real trailer they blended the pictures with Pippin's song so perfectly. If you listen carefully each line of the song tells you something about the shot that goes with it. 'Home is behind, the world ahead' for the exiles leaving Laketown, and so on. Line after line - they've weighed every single word with care and timed the sequence of images to give real meaning. By contrast Arwen's song is absolutely beautiful but totally irrelevant.

Whoever made this has had fun cutting and pasting the different sequences but hasn't thought about the words at all. Take another simple example: in the trailer we see the line-up of dwarves against Thorin's line, "Will you follow me...." That tells you something. The mashed version pairs the glimpse of the dwarves with Bilbo's "... and those that did not" - while "those that survived" plays over the piles of gold in the mountain. Same problem with the titles - "The Defining Chapter" "Is Where the Journey begins" [from memory - the wording may not be exact] doesn't mean anything at all.

I expect it amused whoever did and that's fine. But as something for other people to watch I'd say it's a very good example of why these things are best left to the professionals

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 4:51pm

Post #8 of 23 (822 views)
Shortcut
TOTALLY agree...WHY some do this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Likely an Exercise for a
Film Class..Maybe?

Maybe for resume purposes?
Maybe...a portfolio assignment...
Maybe..some one wantzzz to get Noticed on the Internet to get hired to be an Editor...?

Who knowzzz
... but the author.

AND that is OKAY
BY
Bomby
(Since young people have
Got to
GET a "STARTsomewhere"..?)

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

JackH

Aug 27 2014, 5:16pm

Post #9 of 23 (791 views)
Shortcut
Great Observations... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's true. Bilbo's words seem to get sort of placed over unrelated shots. However I expect this person was probably trying to differentiate between the two trailers as much as possible... which would defeat the purpose if it matched the original trailer picture for picture.

Definitely seems like some up and comer trying to establish some sort of legitimacy.

Overall though... definitely not bad for a fan made trailer. I actually thought it was the official alternate trailer at first lol Laugh

(This post was edited by JackH on Aug 27 2014, 5:22pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2014, 5:26pm

Post #10 of 23 (802 views)
Shortcut
So be it. [In reply to] Can't Post

That line is from FotR when they decide to travel through Moria.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 27 2014, 5:29pm

Post #11 of 23 (773 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen's song at the beginning just felt awkward, and the editing wasn't the best. The second half was much better, but I still prefer the real trailer. I think there will have to be another trailer to have enough different clips to make any sort of alternate trailer work.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 27 2014, 6:11pm

Post #12 of 23 (764 views)
Shortcut
Yes - I think another problem .... [In reply to] Can't Post

... probably intractable, is the fact that the filmmakers have the full resources of the film to hand - including clips that won't actually make it into the final edit. They can select them knowing the context of each and every detail. No one else is in a position to do that until they've seen the film, when the need for a trailer is less pressing.

If you think about it, the people making the film should be able to produce a better trailer for it than anyone else - it would be a pretty poor show if they couldn't!

JackH

Aug 27 2014, 7:00pm

Post #13 of 23 (729 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

Another great point. I try not to judge too harshly as I'm sure this person had very limited resources to work with as you stated.

I'd say it's all in good fun, and kudos to whoever made this for what it's worth. I've seen some seriously hideous attempts at a trailer and this is certainly not one of them.

Name
Rohan

Aug 27 2014, 7:39pm

Post #14 of 23 (727 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but doesn't [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf say that after he has that little Galadriel conversation in DoS: "The High Fells.......so be it."

Edit: the Fellowship line seems to match the one used in this trailer more than the DoS line. Sorry Angelic

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

(This post was edited by Name on Aug 27 2014, 7:42pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 8:25pm

Post #15 of 23 (706 views)
Shortcut
I like this one: [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GChC4TcKM4

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 28 2014, 12:39am

Post #16 of 23 (619 views)
Shortcut
Agree with this so much [In reply to] Can't Post

My first reaction can't be posted on TORn. Music doesn't compute re content, Gandalf would never say "so be it" in the face of a bloodbath that he was a player in starting, whole thing was jarring for me. But wish I had that kind of sw. I won't say leave it to the professionals as have seen some impressive stuff from amateurs but *meh*.Unimpressed

Boy, folks are desperate for some BOFA. OK, I admit it. I've trolled for some leaks, but things seem to be locked down like Fort Knox re BOFA PR. EvilCool

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 1:11am

Post #17 of 23 (622 views)
Shortcut
I'd say the most likely reason for fan trailers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is, rather simply, practice.

Not just practicing editing but also learning what audiences like and how people respond to different videos - so even the negative feedback here is helpful in a way.

As you said, people have to start somewhere, and these fan trailers could be the first scribblings of a future artist. I don't see why some are so offended by them. Occasionally they can be quite interesting. There's a great Silmarillion fan trailer out there for example.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 28 2014, 2:10am

Post #18 of 23 (613 views)
Shortcut
I happen to love it [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Arwen song is really great, better even!

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 2:42am

Post #19 of 23 (608 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was funny ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that when Bilbo said "the good" they showed Gandaff, but when he said "the bad" they showed Tauriel.
Some people would find that appropriate! (Though most definitely not me.)

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 28 2014, 3:53am

Post #20 of 23 (600 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Didn't notice that. [In reply to] Can't Post

For the record I love Tauriel

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 28 2014, 8:02am

Post #21 of 23 (562 views)
Shortcut
Yes - I noticed that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 28 2014, 9:05am

Post #22 of 23 (552 views)
Shortcut
Yup! Definitely noticed// [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!. (A tag-team fanfic with Avandel and Kerewyn)
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 28 2014, 11:41am

Post #23 of 23 (568 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the potato rocks. Laugh

If this is to end in barrels, then we will all shampoo together.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.