but we're still a point ahead of those 10 year-old whippersnappers Smile

Cheers

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 30 2014, 2:46pm

Post #52 of 71 (1734 views)
Shortcut
When my dad was born in 1937 [In reply to] Can't Post

his hospital bill was free...he was born at home, since the closest hospital was 40 miles away. Nobody blinked an eye, because everyone was born at home in the country in those days. I don't think they had a doctor there--if I recall correctly there was just a sister or aunt to oversee the process. Smile

Annael
Immortal

Aug 30 2014, 3:22pm

Post #53 of 71 (1729 views)
Shortcut
My mom was born at home in the same bed her mom had been born in [In reply to] Can't Post

Lot of family members were born and died in that bed; my aunt was the latest to transition there. Her oldest daughter has the bedstead now. I'm not sure how old it is; must ask one of these days.

I was free because my dad was an intern at the hospital I was born in.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 31 2014, 3:56am

Post #54 of 71 (1728 views)
Shortcut
Ah! You have fallen into our trap! [In reply to] Can't Post

All 20 of you, along with your plans for World Dominoes, will be added to our collective. Resistance is Feudal.

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 8:16am

Post #55 of 71 (1723 views)
Shortcut
(Off topic) One thing you take for granted in the UK is the NHS. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was in America for the first time, I was alarmed by the sheer number of pharmaceutical ads on most TV channels.

The NHS might have its problems, but at least it is free.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 31 2014, 12:46pm

Post #56 of 71 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Oh Yeah Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely one of our pet peeves.

It seems there are a dozen ads per hour on TV with a new drug every month, along with a new ailment. I think they make this stuff up. Big cash cow for the drug companies (and doctors).

And they all seem to end with "Ask your doctor about xxx."
I should ask my doctor? Shoot! He's the doctor, he should be telling me, I shouldn't have to ask him. Nuts!

And the possible side-affects are absolutely unbelievable , Whew! I'd rather have the disease, ailment, etc.

Here's a good example of how the pharmaceutical companies cover their butts:

My wife bought some sleeping pills. One of the cautions/side affects listed was May cause drowsiness.
Oh my, drowsiness with a sleeping pill. What to do, what to do? CrazyCrazy

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 2:33pm

Post #57 of 71 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Flawed Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

In order to avoid repetition, the poll should have been:

10 and under
11-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51-60
61-70
71-80
81-90
91+

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 31 2014, 6:07pm

Post #58 of 71 (1705 views)
Shortcut
For some decades, the US Census wrote it as: [In reply to] Can't Post

Under 5
Of 5 and under 10
Of 10 and under 15
Of 15 and under 20

etc....

Writing questions to get good statistical data is tricky. :-)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 31 2014, 9:49pm

Post #59 of 71 (1693 views)
Shortcut
22./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 1 2014, 12:50am

Post #60 of 71 (1695 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Something along those lines would have also worked.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 2 2014, 3:13am

Post #61 of 71 (1667 views)
Shortcut
almost 45 [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 2 2014, 3:45am

Post #62 of 71 (1667 views)
Shortcut
We're developing a nice Gaussian distribution :-)// [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 2 2014, 8:48am

Post #63 of 71 (1658 views)
Shortcut
26 [In reply to] Can't Post

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Sep 3 2014, 4:18am

Post #64 of 71 (1655 views)
Shortcut
Dear Cirashala [In reply to] Can't Post

That has been my whole life! I'm 26 and five foot tall so people struggle to believe it. I've always had a younger face and been told the usual, "you'll love it when you're older". While that didn't help at the time, it is beginning to take effect as I'm starting to feel "old" and don't mind people mistaking me for 19 Wink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 3 2014, 4:31am

Post #65 of 71 (1641 views)
Shortcut
Not only is it Gaussian [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's fairly normal too. Smile

** Confess, I had to look up Gaussian **

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 3 2014, 5:52am

Post #66 of 71 (1646 views)
Shortcut
I feel old too lol.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's both amusing and annoying for me- I'm guessing the people who say that I'll "love it when I'm older" are those who never looked young to begin with....

I don't really do things where I'm carded at all- don't smoke, drink, etc- but I did have a hard time not laughing when I got pulled over right after leaving a late AUJ viewing and the officer asked me if the van was my mom's car! (I accidentally forgot to turn my headlights on- the parking lot was extremely bright and I hadn't even noticed and had just left it). Turns out the officer was a major Tolkien fan when he asked what I saw- he started asking if it was good, if it was close to the book, how the 48 fps worked out (this last one was the indication of a die hard fan- not many outside of the fanbase or cinema workforce knew about the 48 fps unless they were actively following movie news), etc!

I got off with a warning, but when he asked if it was my mom's car and I said no it's mine (with two carseats in the back) his eyes bugged out and he looked hard at my license, then at me lol! THAT was funny, and I am glad that he merely warned me to turn my lights on rather than giving me a ticket- it was an honest mistake (and since I always drive with my lights on- day or night- to increase visibility to both myself and for enabling others to see me, it's a very rare mistake- it was really late by the time I got out).

I was 26 at the time, and I swear the only reason why he thought I was 16 was because I couldn't legally drive alone and at night any younger Tongue He was quite surprised to learn I was actually ten years older than that!

So sometimes it's amusing, but when I am trying to pitch in art advice (I'm really good with colors and mixing, even if lack of an actual art class since elementary school and lack of practice means I'm no van gogh, though I paint flowers and landscapes decently well, as well as some animals and do color mixing with pastels) for a set design and paint for a Passion play for a church to help solve a dilemma and the two ladies (I think in their forties or fifties) involved completely brushed me off and said I didn't know anything and treated me like a dumb kid (they didn't know me personally- it was a large church) appearing so young when I was actually 22 IIRC and being dismissed like a stupid 13 year old when I was an active, voting church member really pissed me off. Needless to say, I don't attend that church anymore.

I just wish I could feel like I was 27 rather than fifty....aches and pains are a constant (severity depends on the day- but it's always there to some degree- I routinely lifted in excess of my then 105 lb body weight when I was 19 working at Wal-mart without a lifting belt as it wasn't available, sometimes as much as 165 lbs at a time, and now my back is paying for it). And my shape change after having two kids also puts undue pressure on my back. I am very, very strong, and can lift a very heavy object, and can even team lift with my husband on things like couches and such as good as a man (hefting kiddos that are 38 and 27 lbs, respectively, on a multiple times a day basis is a good arm strengthener lol Wink)- but it doesn't mean that it doesn't take a toll on the back, especially if said item is very awkward for my height and arm length. I try to practice proper lifting techniques, but when you're trying to balance 100 lbs of frozen fried chicken in two 2 feet by 3 feet by 10 inch boxes (50 lbs in each), with several bags of popcorn chicken, potato wedges, barbecue chicken, etc on top of it, proper lifting goes out the window just to keep a grip on it all Crazy.

Eh well- at least I won't go gray (I'm a reddish blonde, and blondes/reds usually go white instead) and that I am thankful for Cool Especially as my mom was quite gray by the time we were in high school, and she was only 23 when she had me...so she started going gray probably in her mid thirties.

At least I can still wear the cute kids' shoes Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 8:58am

Post #67 of 71 (1641 views)
Shortcut
Different snapshots. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting to see how this poll differs to this one, which isn't normally distributed.

They're not directly comparable, since this poll is missing a 30-40 age range.

One could speculate that the average age of TORn users should increase as every year passes. There will always be new, young users joining TORn; but when the last film ends (and assuming there is no other major PJ/Tolkien news) then the current active users will carry on aging and voting.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 3 2014, 10:51am

Post #68 of 71 (1636 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I wrote that quite how I was supposed to. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's try again:

One could speculate that the average age of TORn users should increase as every year passes. There will always be new users joining TORn, both old and young. However, one might expect that as every year passes, fewer younger people will join TORn. When the last film is released (and assuming there will be no other major PJ/Tolkien Middle-earth news) then fewer younger people will be introduced to the franchise or the books. As a result, the average age of the forum should slowly and gradually rise, as the current (and future) active users age. The only way I can see the average age decreasing over time is if there is some future film or book news that draws in a whole new audience that didn't grow up with the current movies.

Not sure that's any more coherent, mind.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 3 2014, 10:52am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8 2014, 2:34pm

Post #69 of 71 (1622 views)
Shortcut
I'm as old as my teeth (62) [In reply to] Can't Post

The strange thing is.... I still feel like I'm 24 in my head. Imagine the shocker when I look in the mirror! *AAAAARRRRRGHHHHH!!!!*

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 8 2014, 2:35pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 11 2014, 5:55pm

Post #70 of 71 (1605 views)
Shortcut
Your Gaussian distribution [In reply to] Can't Post

is getting younger and younger it seems, but we're still holding out at 2 for 2%.

Cheers Heart

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 28 2014, 2:52am

Post #71 of 71 (1560 views)
Shortcut
21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Just had my birthday about a month ago!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.