Are we ready for the new doctor?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 3:03pm

Post #26 of 50 (283 views)
Shortcut
Pretty good, all things considered... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't completely enthralled by every aspect of it, but thought it was a good move to introduce the new Doctor into a group situation, with the Paternoster gang as well as Clara around him to hold things together. He was more than usually disorientated by the regeneration, which took a bit of getting used to - but I do think Peter Capaldi has the potential to be an amazing Doctor. I thoroughly enjoyed his machinations as Cardinal Richelieu in the recent BBC Musketeers, which he had to leave before its second series to take on the role of the Doctor. And yes, I remember Local Hero - one of my favourite films! I've visited the sweep of beach where the driftwood shack was, Camusdarach, and walked on those silvery sands - it's a beautiful area. Back to the Doctor though - I found it funny that the 'don't breathe' business was so similar to 'don't blink' and the weeping angels. There is talk of a new companion being introduced after the Christmas special - I shall watch with interest.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2014, 3:19pm

Post #27 of 50 (281 views)
Shortcut
My daughter and I were talking about this [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleven was "born" at the end of the Time Wars and carried with him the scars of the time. He was driven to help but then he met Rose and things became more personal. When he regenerated, his being was already centered on Rose so Ten was "born" into that mindset. Things became more about Rose and less about Humanity. As he lost Rose (or only half of him lost Rose... it's confusing... ) and had to say goodbye to others that he cared for, he became increasingly alone again. Eleven was "born" into that loss. He had all the feelings Ten had being intimately connected with someone, but also knew the pain of loss that he wanted to forget. He became the the Doctor who wanted to help, but also who wanted to forget and just have fun. Now with this latest Doctor, it looks like he's looking back and seeing that his foray into a more human mindset, with its associated attractions and close personal interactions and feelings, sidetracked him away from what he was meant to be doing all along. He's backing off now. He's back to the business at hand, which I think is more like the original doctors.

It's just a theory and I have to admit to not watching every single episode, but I think it's interesting to think of how each doctor originated, what was happening to him right before he regenerated and how that would inform his "new" character.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 24 2014, 3:22pm

Post #28 of 50 (270 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, liked Capaldi as the Cardinal, and I, too, have walked on the Local Hero beach (as well as seen the village, on the opposite side of Scotland), so I was on Capaldi's side to begin with. I agree that, after all the Doctor's gone through over the years, he should be a bit darker and worn-looking. When he was supposedly translating the dinosaur's cries about being lonely he was also speaking for himself.

Having just re-watched The Girl in the Fireplace, I thought it was sad he couldn't remember that episode, when he was so touched by Mme de Pompadour at the time. But that ties in to the long life and many losses. I did not catch the "don't breathe" and "don't blink" relationship, though.

Funny how they've written Capaldi's native Scottish accent into the script when Tennant adopted an English one!

The program was more interesting to me because of Capaldi than because of the plot, and I'm not sure how I feel about the ending---was the droid man (did he have a name?) pushed or did he jump? That is a disturbing ambiguity, as Moffat intended.

However, as usual, Moffat can't leave well enough alone, and in an unnecessary coda had to hammer the viewer over the head with this question as well as introducing yet another dark and over-the-top menacing woman who will no doubt pop up again and again.

I think Jenna Coleman (any idea why she dropped the "Louise"?) will have to scramble a bit to keep up with this doctor!

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2014, 3:46pm

Post #29 of 50 (269 views)
Shortcut
Love the new Doctor too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved both the Doctor and the episode. "Blink" is a tough standard, as it is easily one of the all-time best Who stories. I liked the writing in this episode, as well as the more coherent plot and the less hectic pace, and Capaldi already is amazing in the role. His acting is virtuosic. My problem now is that I'm seriously tempted to go see the episode at the movie theater on Monday night, though I really don't have the time!

Hobbit Family Histories

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 4:00pm

Post #30 of 50 (280 views)
Shortcut
Liked the Doctor, not sure about [In reply to] Can't Post

the actual story itself, which felt padded in way too many places.

Did anyone notice the fireplace in the background when Twelve was struggling to remember why the Marie Antoinette and droids using human parts for repair sounded so familiar to him? Liked that touch. Lots of little throwback touches.

Willing to keep watching. Who is the woman? I couldn't help but see the similarity of the place they sat together, to the initial portal of the place where Amy got trapped for a lifetime. Maybe that's not intentional. But there were droids there, too...or robots.

LOL

Only one complaint, really: Capaldi's accent makes him frequently unintelligible to these aging American ears. I realize that is neither here nor there, but there's a substantial American market. Possibly they can make it less pronounced, now that they've had the wonder of it all.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 4:05pm

Post #31 of 50 (261 views)
Shortcut
Interesting theory! [In reply to] Can't Post

A return to a more 'original Doctors' mindset will make for some interesting interactions. We've had several companions where there is a suggestion of a romantic yearning - from one side or the other! - so perhaps it's time for something different, and a break from the eternal will they/won't they scenario.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 4:10pm

Post #32 of 50 (267 views)
Shortcut
Ah, you've been to Pennan? [In reply to] Can't Post

I never made it up there. It's fascinating the way they piece things together convincingly for films, never ceases to amaze me.
I didn't mean a relationship between don't breathe and don't blink, more of a parallel. It might even have been coincidental, though I doubt it. Mr Moffat is verrry crafty. As well as, it would seem, having a bit of a thing for menacing women! Perhaps he thought a slightly older femme fatale would be a worthy foe for Capaldi's Doctor.

I think Jenna will only have to scramble until Christmas! One name I've seen mentioned as a new companion is Chris Addison; we'll see how all that works out.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 5:01pm

Post #33 of 50 (262 views)
Shortcut
Agreed for the most part [In reply to] Can't Post

I not too familiar with Peter Capaldi's work other than the one Who episode, and Torchwood, so I'll give him a chance. But this episode didn't do much for me - it was rather uneven and didn't quite gel. The callbacks to The Girl in the Fireplace were a little heavy handed (and I didn't really like that episode anyways), so the whole robot bit felt a bit "been there, seen that". I did like some of the other references (like whether he should wear a long scarf when he was trying to find clothes). When he was trying to figure out why his face looked familiar, do you think that was a deliberate reference to the Roman character he played, like maybe the Doctor picked his face subconsciously? And I too got the same vibe that "heaven" looked similar to the place where Amy got trapped. I got a little distracted trying to figure out who the woman was as I haven't seen all of the Matt Smith episodes, so wasn't sure if I missed something, but in watching the post show, looks like no one knows who she is.

I kind of like that he can use his Scottish accent - it's lighter than David Tennant's (although it would have been fun if he could have used his).

And on the fun side, they're showing the Christmas Invasion right now - yay! Cool

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 24 2014, 6:15pm

Post #34 of 50 (255 views)
Shortcut
My first Doctor was Patrick Troughton... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and he remains very special to me, though I can't remember any of the stories he was in (I did spend a lot of time in those early years hiding behind the sofa while my brother dared me to come out.)

Tom Baker I really liked, and Peter Davison, after that it lost me and I didn't come back until Christopher Eccleston, who was brilliant. I liked him so much that it took a while to get used to David Tennant. I only caught up with him when they re-ran the series; then I liked him very much, and most of the stories. That's been the problem I have with Matt Smith's Doctor. I liked him - some of his mannerisms reminded me of Patrick Troughton - but became a bit impatient with Stephen Moffat's storylines - so complicated.

I still had the same mixed feelings about last night's story, but I think Peter Capaldi looks very promising.

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 24 2014, 6:23pm

Post #35 of 50 (255 views)
Shortcut
I think there's a point to the Scottish accent.... [In reply to] Can't Post

All things Scottish are prominent on UK TV right now, with the independence referendum just a few weeks away and no certainty about which way it will go. We've had TV series about the Stuart Kings, the history of the Borders, a particular presenters favourite characters from Scottish history. There were some very gentle in-house jokes about Scotland and the Scots in the scene with the tramp (I think it was that scene) which reflect the kind of things that are being said up and down the country - I don't think they would have been included in quite that way at any other time.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2014, 10:09pm

Post #36 of 50 (233 views)
Shortcut
Very similar to my reactions [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, being in the States, I never saw the first two Doctors until after seeing Baker, Davison, and Pertwee (in that order). I loved the earlier shows, especially the few Troughton ones that had survived, but they lost me after Davison -- I could not stand Colin Baker's Doctor or the whole direction in which they were taking the show. When McCoy came on, I decided to give him a chance, but I only got through one episode. I was thrilled with Eccleston, but never got used to Tennant, though he had some great stories and great companions. I might like him better if I rewatch those years, though I doubt he will ever come close to Baker or Eccleston for me. I liked Matt Smith better than Tennant, but you're quite right that the stories became overly complicated -- Moffat was trying to jam too way much story into 45 minutes, and a lot was glossed over or left unexplained. Oh, for the days of four-parters! I actually thought Capaldi's premiere story was a big improvment in that respect — much better paced, with lots of really nice character moments and a more coherent story. I thought Capaldi was brilliant -- he has the potential to be one of my favorite Doctors, and I hope the writing allows him to be.

BTW, I'm really enjoying seeing the various "lost" Troughton stories that have turned up over the years -- I've been buying them on DVD. Super!

Hobbit Family Histories

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2014, 10:13pm

Post #37 of 50 (239 views)
Shortcut
"I'm not your boyfriend!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I sure hope you're right -- for me, the whole overtly romantic aspect of the new series was a betrayal of the original show. I never accepted it, and I'll be glad if that's the last we hear of it.

Hobbit Family Histories

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2014, 10:17pm

Post #38 of 50 (241 views)
Shortcut
I'm not finding the accent [In reply to] Can't Post

to be any problem -- but then, maybe that's because I've watched so much Craig Ferguson. (Now that I think of it, there's a similarity in the eyebrows, as well...)

Hobbit Family Histories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 25 2014, 2:33pm

Post #39 of 50 (198 views)
Shortcut
My first Doctor... [In reply to] Can't Post

...must have been Peter Cushing. I'm sure that I saw both of the movies on television before our local PBS station ever started airing the Patrick Troughton or Tom Baker episodes of the show.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2014, 3:30pm

Post #40 of 50 (217 views)
Shortcut
who?????????????? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been aware of Whovian fandom since I began going to sci fi conventions back in the early 80s (someone gifted me with an immense scarf, which I still treasure). It seems everyone I know is well versed in the Whoverse... I sadly have had only glimpses of it (my TV provider is a 30' antenna and I am in the US, not the UK, though I have friends with BBC America).

I do see quite a lot of Who cross my tumblr feed, and have seen some of the earlier episodes (the Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe was a fun take on you know what... that Tolkien buddy's books and stuff).

I was still excited about The New Doctor, and was thrilled when two different friends invited me to come partake of their cable TV. (One had found the closest equivalent to jammy dodgers that could be procured in York County, as well has having fish sticks and custard).

I very much like what I've seen of David Tennant (a type that highly appeals to me, both physically and in personality) and Matt Smith (attractive in a Benedict Cumberbatch sort of odd way, with that huge Inner Child), but the idea of an oldish Dr. was awesome.

Then I realized he's actually three years younger than me.

Ack.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode... thoroughly enjoyed Peter Capaldi... and his Scottish accent (the one friend I ended up watching it with is of Scottish descent, and we have a number if Scottish/Irish festivals around here, and some serious kilt wearing and bagpipe playing and caber tossing). Yes, it's quite hard to figure out what some of the dialog is for us Americans... but I have the same problem with Sherlock. Closed captioning is my friend.

I like the intelligence that is evident in the series, so different from the typical American sci-fi action flick. I also like the Companion's real bravery; no martial arts skills, no highly specialized skill set, no superpowers, just a girl caught up in intergalactic weirdness, and dealing with it. She's us.

Also: FINALLY SOMEONE ADDRESSES THE IDEA THAT YOU CAN HAVE TWO OPPOSITE SEX CHARACTERS WHO ARE NOT IN A ROMANCE!!!!!

thankgawd...

I also like the (to some fans heavy handed) nods to what we are all thinking: will we like this "Old Guy" as much as the two young hotties? Lift the veil and see the character for who they really are. "He wears a face the same way I wear a veil."

Also liking Lizard Woman.

What I have seen of the series, each Doctor has some unique qualities (we are all different people throughout our lives) while maintaining a throughline of character that is The Doctor. I can't think of any other series that does this (other than comic books that continually change artists and writers and rewrite the origin stories of their characters)... a neat way to bring freshness to a long running classic.

I caught a few of the references to earlier Whos (though many were a mystery, as I haven't seen those episodes)... liked the dissertation on "what should I wear.." (scarf, hah!).

Now if I can only find someplace online that I can watch the show (or shanghai a friend into recording it for me). I checked out hulu plus, but they are only showing old episodes. I figured I can buy the entire series for less than hulu charges for a year.

Wish our local PBS would show it!

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 25 2014, 5:36pm

Post #41 of 50 (191 views)
Shortcut
Very perceptive comments [In reply to] Can't Post

You seem to "get" the show and its particular appeal better than some viewers who have seen a lot more of it (thinking of certain members of my family!).

I finally have access to BBC America (after switching to digital cable), but before that, I rented the new series on Netflix, which has tons of Who discs available, both new and classic. Is that an option for you? I've been collecting the DVDs, but they actually are rather pricey as DVDs go. (An advantage to watching on DVD -- you can always "rewind" to catch missed dialogue! Also, there are lots of great extras.)

Hobbit Family Histories

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 25 2014, 5:44pm

Post #42 of 50 (182 views)
Shortcut
I switched from renting discs at the corner store to Netflix specifically to get Doctor Who [In reply to] Can't Post

and a lot of other shows that were percolating at the edge of interest. The DVD store just wasn't interested in carrying stuff like Doctor Who and I pretty much only wanted to watch stuff like Doctor Who.

When money was at its tightest, we didn't cancel Netflix. I think the joy/diversion it gives me is completely worth the price. For years we had the DVDs but we now have both DVD and streaming service.

I think most of the (new) Doctor Who is also on Amazon Prime if one were to think that getting stuff from AP (and I think you can get more than just visual media... but I haven't checked into ti) as well as getting the shipping benefits is worth more than Netflix.

One tricky thing about Doctor Who is that the specials are often considered separate from the series. So you might find season/series 6 in one place but not the Christmas specials. I find it very confusing and frankly, it puts me off trying very hard to follow it since I have to sort it all out and then figure out which service is offering which episodes/specials.

I suppose it's worth checking out the library, as well.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2014, 7:33pm

Post #43 of 50 (181 views)
Shortcut
Definitely yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though i liked Matt Smith well enough, and thought Karen Gillan did an excellent job, i thought that era of Doctor Who fell into a bit of a rut, and i lost interest. Still haven't seen some of them. I'm hoping that a different take on the Doctor injects some life back into the series. Looking very forward to it, though i'm not sure how i'll see it as i don't have BBCAmerica.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 25 2014, 8:01pm

Post #44 of 50 (183 views)
Shortcut
have you caught that Karen Gillan has a new US network show this fall? [In reply to] Can't Post

Using a premise similar to Pygmalion and My Fair Lady, the series will follow the life of Eliza Dooley (a modern day version of Eliza Doolittle), a woman obsessed with becoming famous through the use of social media platforms (including the use of Instagram and taking selfies), until she realizes that she needs to actually find people that she can be friends with physically instead of "friend" them online. This prompts Eliza to hire Henry Higenbottam (a modern day version of Henry Higgins), a marketing self-image guru who is left with the task of rebranding Eliza's image in the hopes to show her that there is more to life out there than just playing Candy Crush Saga with an iPhone and connecting with a Facebook page.

on ABC

http://abc.go.com/shows/selfie

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Aug 26 2014, 3:44pm

Post #45 of 50 (151 views)
Shortcut
that sounds like an idea.... [In reply to] Can't Post

although I think Netflix is a subscription and I'd rather pay as you go (ie: when I have the $$$$).

A Whovian at work (her license plate frame says "my other car is a tardis") mentioned Amazon (downloads?) and iTunes...

???

anybody know more about those?

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 26 2014, 4:45pm

Post #46 of 50 (147 views)
Shortcut
Amazon Instant Video [In reply to] Can't Post

has Doctor Who available for streaming, especially the more recent shows. I've never looked into it, though, because I'd rather watch on my large TV than my small computer monitor, and I'm not set up for streaming to my TV.

Streaming from Netflix is $7.99 a month (plus tax), the same cost as getting one DVD at a time, unlimited number per month. My brother pays $19.99 to get three DVDs at a time, unlimited number per month, but he doesn't have cable or satellite, so he gets all of his TV shows on DVD or Blu-ray from Netflix. There's also a two DVD plan for $11.99

Hobbit Family Histories

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 26 2014, 5:30pm

Post #47 of 50 (146 views)
Shortcut
I think Netflix has a free trial [In reply to] Can't Post

You surely have to sign up an acct with a credit card and then be sure to cancel before the end of the trial period. But if one had the ability to watch the heck out of the series, one might be able to watch it all in the trial period. (this would be streaming.. you wouldn't be able to watch it all via DVD)

https://get.com/free-netflix-trial/

Other DVD options for Netflix:
1 disc out at a time - unlimited per month = $7.99
1 disc out at a time - limit 2 per month = $4.99

And you can watch Doctor Who on iTunes for a cost per show (buying per season is probably cheaper than per show).

Someone gifted me a season that I watched on iTunes. But like Aerin, I highly prefer watching on the tv - it's bigger and the chair is more comfortable. :-)

If you want to stream to the tv, you need a device to stream to. I use Roku and/or my son's Wii. Some newer tvs have capability and there are these small devices like Chromecast that I haven't looked into and don't understand.

That might make DVDs a better option.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 26 2014, 5:32pm)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 26 2014, 7:17pm

Post #48 of 50 (148 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But like Aerin, I highly prefer watching on the tv - it's bigger and the chair is more comfortable. :-)

It's somehow not the same sitting in my typing chair and worrying about spilling beer on the keyboard!

Hobbit Family Histories

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 27 2014, 4:29pm

Post #49 of 50 (138 views)
Shortcut
Last time i checked Amazon Streaming, [In reply to] Can't Post

they only had one or two stories from each season of Classic Who, which is not very many at all. I think they had the entirety of New Who, though.

Malveth
Rivendell

Sep 8 2014, 2:19am

Post #50 of 50 (116 views)
Shortcut
Strangely Enough . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having a hard time adjusting to "normal" Doctor Who!! After 9 years of Nu Who, it's actually hard to get used to having the bass-line back in the theme, seeing the Doctor's face in the credits, not having that Time War nonsense hanging over everything and not having the omnipresent, distracting, unnecessary sexual tension laid on thick.

What's weird is that this is exactly the series Whovians were expecting back in 2005! We had to wait 9 years but here it is, I guess. But, as I said, it's taking time to get used to seeing Orthodox Who again!

Capaldi is great so far. Hope the scripts get better though. Loved Robot of Sherwood best so far :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.