Okay, gramma; where's gramma? '' // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Uva uvam vivendo varia fit."

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 3:55pm

Post #27 of 41 (233 views)
Shortcut
And Shelob issued forth [In reply to] Can't Post

with her deadly claws and her vast bloated bag, and she stank! Stank like the jock strap of Bombur after an hour and eleventy-one minutes of hand-ball.
Or when Mrs. Maggot cut the cheese, silently, while serving mushrooms. (Called by the Edain “A Sneaker”.)

You can call me “Brace”, or you can call me “BG”, but you dasn’t call me “Rem”!

“Uva uvam vivendo varia fit."

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 4:12pm

Post #28 of 41 (224 views)
Shortcut
*applause* // [In reply to] Can't Post

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2014, 4:19pm

Post #29 of 41 (224 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I knew that! Wink

Hubby went to the first two viewings of DoS with me. Whenever I'd come home after another, I'd walk in the door and say "Well, the dragon won again."

Always gave him a chuckle...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 24 2014, 4:22pm

Post #30 of 41 (227 views)
Shortcut
Bwahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, gosh, the imagery...you've definitely seen too many Krispy Kreme donuts and gotten sunburn at state fairs! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Aug 24 2014, 4:33pm

Post #31 of 41 (212 views)
Shortcut
Oops! Yes, I nominate silneldor! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 4:36pm

Post #32 of 41 (231 views)
Shortcut
She had some skill with a blade, [In reply to] Can't Post

the kind of skill you get after years of honing it on the hearts of hapless movie goers like Darkstone, who once heard that the Eowyn shower scene had actually been filmed, but then was cut with a similarly skilled blade.

AngelicCool

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 4:44pm

Post #33 of 41 (217 views)
Shortcut
And the Council of Elrond ended [In reply to] Can't Post

with a short (pun?) stand-up routine by Gloin. His stories about his distant cousin Seymour Butts (the only Dwarf surname listed in LOTR) were the hit of the entire Council.
Elrond laughed so hard his upper denture flew across the porch and landed in Galdor’s tea, and the Council officially ended when Galdor made a noise like a Boston Bull Dog in a cayenne sniffing contest.

** waiting for gramma **

Some say "Why"? - I say "Why not?

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 24 2014, 6:40pm

Post #34 of 41 (208 views)
Shortcut
LOL What a mature lot we are [In reply to] Can't Post

as many of us have turned to gross-out humor for our analogies. I guess I'm to blame since I started it. It will be my albatross to bear if, said albatross were actually a fell beast who'd done an epic fail on the Jenny Craig program. And then ate Jenny Craig.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 24 2014, 7:32pm

Post #35 of 41 (199 views)
Shortcut
But that is what the contest was supposed to be! [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, not all gross but outrageous. My favorite of that contest I think encapsulates the essence of the challenge: "Her hair glistened like nose hairs after a sneeze." Laugh It's so beautifully poetic...like a devotee of Whitman who smoked his favorite poem instead of reading it. Evil *sigh* Wink

Well done to all! I think we're ready in the event that the Post ever runs a contest with LOTR-themed outrageous analogies.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 10:05pm

Post #36 of 41 (189 views)
Shortcut
Agreed Dame I - someone should start some LOTR-themed outrageousness [In reply to] Can't Post

Because:
1. Sentence structure goes kaplooey (and I’m good at that!)
2. It doesn’t have to make a bit of sense (and I’m good at that!), and . .
3. It’s fun! Smile

From Tokien 1st lines:

Gil-galad was an Elven-king, except on those rare occasions when he was dead.

Grey as a mouse, just exactly as grey as the sunlight blasting into your tired eyeballs from the back window of a 1959 Pontiac Bonneville isn’t.

I sit beside the fire and think, unless I’m outside mowing the parth with my 46 inch John Deere Tractor.

Some say "Why"? - I say "Why not?"

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 25 2014, 1:57pm

Post #37 of 41 (180 views)
Shortcut
"The only difference is that there is no cat.” [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
-James Davis Nicoll

It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear.
-Douglas Adams

"Well, after all, this is the age of the disposable tissue. Blow your nose on a person, wad them, flush them away, reach for another, blow, wad, flush."
-Ray Bradbury

“If people were like rain, I was like drizzle and she was a hurricane.”
-John Green

The bridge cracked. Right at the Balrog's feet it broke, and the stone upon which it stood crashed into the gulf, while the rest remained, poised, quivering like a tongue of rock thrust out into emptiness.
-JRR Tolkien

“You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat.”
-Albert Einstein

“Without inspiration, we’re all like a box of matches that will never be lit.”
-David Archuleta

“He once told me that an August evening was 'as hot as three toads in a Cuisinart,' a comparison that left me blinking two days later.”
-Dean Koontz

Egon: I'm worried. It's getting crowded in there and all my data points to something big on the horizon.
Winston: What do you mean, big?
Egon: Well, let's say this twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. Based on this morning's sample, it would be a twinkie... thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.
Winston: That's a big twinkie.
-Ghostbusters

"Everything I have just said is nonsense. It bears no resemblence to the truth of the matter in any way at all."
-Terry Pratchett

Ominous Voice: “And so, Darkstone, it is now time for you to say hello to... Death!’”
Darkstone: “Well, hello, Mr. Death! How’s Mrs. Death and all the petit morts?”

Aragorn and Legolas went now with Éomer in the van.
-Helm’s Deep, Chapter 7, Book III, The Two Towers

"Rorth Rorlingas!!"

Sauron: "And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling hobbits!"

(Thanks to Brethil for image and battlecry.)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 25 2014, 2:27pm

Post #38 of 41 (170 views)
Shortcut
Bomby Blew a NEW..? [In reply to] Can't Post

ButtHOLE
Blowing his Nose..?

Goldberry
Glided
Glittering ...

Giving her Trees
Names?

"OLD Man Willow"
wazz NOT
Pleased..?

Reporting in "Live"
from THAT.. Forest
no one?

Even...
....FILM-Maker.zz.. WANT...
to FILM?

( .."TRa, LA, la..."..into some OTHER.. Valley)

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Aug 25 2014, 4:12pm

Post #39 of 41 (155 views)
Shortcut
Happy to see more sibs jumping on board with this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our world is overflowing with grief right now. We can use all the comic relief we can make. In that vein, since all of my initial nominees have now responded and I've already posted other analogies, I now nominate three more people:

Kelvarhin! Magpie! sauget!

Give us your best -- or should I say worst? Cool

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 26 2014, 8:27pm

Post #40 of 41 (141 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yeah!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It needs to be stated that Thorin Oakenshield was so handsome he should more rightly be called armsome.

Cool

Not sure this counts - it's actually GOOD!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 26 2014, 8:45pm

Post #41 of 41 (146 views)
Shortcut
May I give it a try? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil glared at Thror harshly. He secretly hated all dwarves, the way some people hate the New York Yankees for no apparent reason. Thorin was so confused by his grandfather's action. He turned to Thror, searching for an answer like a brand new student who was running late, desperately trying to find his classroom. Yet there was neither reason nor class in Thror's expression, only a smugness that reeked of a politician's doublespeak.

How's that?

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.