The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Hiking photos

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 21 2014, 4:52am

Post #1 of 20 (648 views)
Shortcut
Hiking photos Can't Post

Uncle Baggins and I went hiking along the edge of Forest Canyon in Rocky Mountain National Park last Sunday. That canyon has always made me think of Rivendell. Here are a few photos

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 5:08am

Post #2 of 20 (582 views)
Shortcut
Whenever I miss Colorado [In reply to] Can't Post

I need only to look at your stunning photos and feel like I am back there Laugh

To be honest (and you are not lumped into this group believe me) I actually couldn't stand the people in Colorado (I lived in Aurora and Highlands ranch- a poor new kid with hand-me-down clothes that were way out of style and glasses amongst rich kids, our neighborhood being the only lower middle class one in the school district- yuck).

But every weekend during the summer, my family would drive up to Rocky Mountain National Park and walk the trails (though not as high up as you- we weren't in the alpine zone, but rather still amongst trees in the montane areas Smile). We found out my sister had an extremely good natural talent with sketching, as she drew with pencil a deer from memory from the trip that day- and it looked EXACTLY like the deer we saw (it was sideways view, with the rear toward us but the animal was still turned enough that we saw the front of his body too). She also drew a mountain goat after another trip- same thing, lifelike.

I remember walking around trails, and stopping at turn offs for pictures amongst the rocks at the edge of ravines- my mother is deathly afraid of heights, but my sisters and I would scamper all over those rocks (with 100 or more feet drops below the ledges we stood on) and one time we went nearly all the way out- there must have been only about a foot between us and a straight downward fall. My mom quickly snapped the picture then told us to "Get our butts back there before we fell and broke our necks!" lol....and we scampered back just like three middle-school aged mountain goats Tongue

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pics, and memories of some of the rare good times in my bad childhood Cool

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 21 2014, 12:30pm

Post #3 of 20 (569 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry the people weren't nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up in Fort Collins and had a great childhood. But part of it may have been the times. Back in the 1960s and early 1970s, it seemed like there was an attitude of "do your own thing", and people weren't as conformist as they became later. Or maybe I just wasn't aware. I remember one girl in junior high who used to brag about her expensive clothes, but the other kids mocked her for it. So that shoe was on the other foot, I guess. At our school we had "jocks, freaks, and cowboys". I was a freak by process of elimination, but nerd would have been a better label. I hung out with the nerdy girls and the gay boys, and we had a great time.

My own kids, in the 1980s, had a rough time in school. But eventually each of them found one good friend, and twenty years later those bonds are still strong. All you need is one.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2014, 1:37pm

Post #4 of 20 (568 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been on part of the Appalachian Trail here in the east and now I can see the difference that one veteran hiker talked about. She was surprised how difficult the hiking was here given the mountains are not as high. She was not prepared for climbing straight up and down - she was more used to going around and through. Our trails are constrained by population and even the mountains near us are closer together. Your pictures show how sweeping the vistas are out west. There is just more... room. It's beautiful and almost epic!

Speaking of epic - Uncle Baggins sports a truly epic beard! May it grow ever longer.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 21 2014, 2:21pm

Post #5 of 20 (561 views)
Shortcut
So beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

I never get tired of looking at your wonderful photos. Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Aug 21 2014, 2:22pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 21 2014, 3:31pm

Post #6 of 20 (556 views)
Shortcut
We have a few trails that go straight up and down [In reply to] Can't Post

mostly up cascades. I think of this little stretch as a Stairway to Heaven. And the trail up Timberline Falls goes right up the side of the waterfall (I'm to old and fat to do that one anymore.) But yes, most of our trails switchback up the slopes.

I've never done any hiking in the east, but I think I'd love the green woods. We get them in the little creekbeds, but they're pretty rare here.

And yes, the vistas are sweeping. I remember once I was hiking all alone on the North Longs Peak trail, and I was in this huge cirque, and I said out loud, all alone, "It's. So. Big!"

Annael
Immortal

Aug 21 2014, 3:54pm

Post #7 of 20 (556 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

that kind of behavior is limited to one state. I grew up in a wealthy suburb of Seattle & that kind of attitude was strong there. But my folks had moved out West to get away from the snobbery of the East Coast and they said it was worse there . . .

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Tintallė
Gondor

Aug 21 2014, 6:14pm

Post #8 of 20 (541 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wish I were there. Keep the photos coming!

Is that a sunrise or a sunset that is illuminating the world with such splendor?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2014, 10:50pm

Post #9 of 20 (527 views)
Shortcut
So restful! [In reply to] Can't Post

And peaceful. The kind of place one can take a long walk, yet afterwards feel refreshed. Smile

Do you park at that visitors' center to get on the trail?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Aug 21 2014, 11:33pm

Post #10 of 20 (525 views)
Shortcut
That reminds me [In reply to] Can't Post

of the episode of "Frazier" when Martin lights into Frazier and Niles about their snobbery and says their mother would be ashamed of their behavior. I found Seattle one of the most cosmopolitan cities I've ever been to, and from everything I've read the standard of living is high there. Have to say I saw no attitude, but I wasn't there very long.
Personally, I think we New Yorkers are often rushing around and might be leery of scammers and have an eye out for disturbed people off their meds, which may lead to an impression of unfriendliness - but if you genuinely have a question or seem lost the majority of us will be pretty quick to try to help you out.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Aug 21 2014, 11:44pm

Post #11 of 20 (527 views)
Shortcut
I think as a general rule [In reply to] Can't Post

the west has more spectacular scenery, and we have the majority of sightseeing-worthy cities as well as Revolutionary and Civil War sites, so it evens out.
After finally seeing Savannah and Charleston this spring, I really only have Chicago, San Francisco, Portland and a return to D.C. (once the Smithstonian dinosaur hall renovation is done in a few years) left as far as cities, so I've really got to start cracking on the National Parks!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 22 2014, 9:57am

Post #12 of 20 (517 views)
Shortcut
I have always wanted to see [In reply to] Can't Post

the Nathan Hale homestead in Coventry, CT. I've been interested in him all my life. But I'm not a traveler, so it probably won't happen.

I've been to San Francisco and Portland, and probably Chicago and DC as a baby, though I don't remember them. I'm not much of a city person; I hate going to Denver, though we do from time to time.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 22 2014, 10:00am

Post #13 of 20 (511 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the trailhead is at the visitor's center. [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle Baggins was struck by the light of the sunset reflected in its big windows, and suggested I take a photo of it. I'm glad he did.

The only downside of that trail is that it goes downhill first, so you have to climb back up to return. Or, as an alternative, you can take two cars. The trail ends at another parking lot four miles from the center. Ironically that second parking lot is on the Continental Divide, even though it's downhill from the start. There's a lake there, with water that flows into both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 22 2014, 10:04am

Post #14 of 20 (510 views)
Shortcut
That's a sunset. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been there at sunrise, when Uncle Baggins caught this photo that has always made me think of Rivendell.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2014, 2:08pm

Post #15 of 20 (507 views)
Shortcut
That's beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

... just.... wow... beautiful... !

OK, now I need to win the lottery. I've just added another place to my bucket list of places to see. Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 22 2014, 3:42pm

Post #16 of 20 (506 views)
Shortcut
You know who to contact [In reply to] Can't Post

whenever you're able to travel out this way! Smile

Yes, he's a popular figure around here. Cool

But I don't appreciate it when developers put a housing development on one of my favorite strawberry-picking fields, then name the road "Nathan Hale Drive"! I think Nathan wouldn't approve, either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 22 2014, 4:16pm

Post #17 of 20 (506 views)
Shortcut
Now it's confirmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

you DO live in the Shire :) Fantastic pics!

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2014, 5:56pm

Post #18 of 20 (503 views)
Shortcut
FYI for anyone near a National Park [In reply to] Can't Post

National Parks 98th Birthday is Monday

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Aug 22 2014, 7:22pm

Post #19 of 20 (498 views)
Shortcut
Come on, Aunt Dora. Go for it! [In reply to] Can't Post

See and do what you want in NYC, and before or after get a rental car and do the upstate and Connecticut sites you want to see. October is a great time of year to also include the sites in Sleepy Hollow and see the fall foliage north of us.

I have to say Denver was okay, but nowhere near the best U.S. city I've been to (it does have my favorite airport though - I love the Rocky Mountain architectural motif of Jeppesen Terminal, and the "welcome to the gateway to the west" guitar and piano jingles on the shuttle), so I certainly wouldn't judge cities by that. My favorites are:

Boston - Lovely walking city, with the Freedom Trail literally laying out for you the path through many of the most important sites of the first phase of the Revolutionary War and one of the best aquariums I've been to.

San Antonio - The Riverwalk might be the prettiest urban area I've been to in the U.S., and the Spanish architecture of the Missions is something you don't get to see everyday if you don't live in the Southwest. Also one of my favorite foodie cities, with Tex-Mex, Barbecue and German options.

New Orleans - Full Disclosure: some of it looks a little run down and you do have to do a little research to make sure you don't go to the wrong place at the wrong time, but with the French Quarter, Garden District, tour of St. Louis Cemetary 1 (not safe w/o tour group), evening ghost and vampire tours, the Audobon Zoo and excursions to the bayou and plantations - not to mention ever present jazz - there's easily enough to do for a 5 day vacation if you take full advantage.

Honorable mention: Savannah/Charleston combo and Colonial Williamsburg if you add Busch Gardens Virginia and Colonial National Historical Park.

Annael
Immortal

Aug 23 2014, 4:52pm

Post #20 of 20 (495 views)
Shortcut
Favorite cities [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I have to put a plug in for Seattle of course. Go any time from late July to mid-October for the best weather. SO MUCH to do: the Experience Music Project, the Aquarium, the Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, and more playhouses than anywhere besides New York! Ride a ferry across Puget Sound, take a day trip to Mount Rainier or Mount St. Helens, then spend a couple of days at a B&B in the San Juan Islands or in my little town Port Townsend, one of three official "Victorian seaports" in the US.

I love Vancouver BC as well. Feels like a European city to me, very diverse. Walk Robson Strasse for the shops &restaurants, walk around Stanley Park (a peninsula attached to the downtown), play on Granville Island, go out to UBC to see the totem poles, take a gondola ride up Grouse Mountain at sunset.

I'm fond of SF as well, Portland Oregon is worth a visit (has the BEST bookstore in the world, Powell's!). I second the vote for Boston, my "other" city (my family were Bostonians for 10 generations).

I visited Chicago (& entmaiden) once and had a delightful time. Amazing architecture, great museums, and the side trip to Oak Park to see all the Frank Lloyd Wright homes was a high point.

San Antonio is fun; walk the River Walk through town, or ride one of the boats that ply the river. Visit the Alamo. For me it was too hot in April; I'd go in the winter, next time.

And everyone really does need to go to New York City at least once (ditto London, Paris, Rome, & Edinburgh . . . ). I spent five days there, walked from one end of the island to the other, from the Cloisters to the Battery, and loved every minute. Buy a transit pass! I got one and used the value within two days. Also, if you pay to go to one museum you get into others on the same day for free.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 23 2014, 4:54pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.