Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
I don't think Orcs have anything on some humans when it comes to pure evil.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 21 2014, 4:45am

Post #1 of 13 (486 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Orcs have anything on some humans when it comes to pure evil. Can't Post

Just sayin........... Orcs were mere tools while humans are motivated by sick ideologies and religions. Orcs are much simpler and don't function well when their leader is dispatched. Humans are much more adaptable and inventive in their evil practices. "Men..and women...of the West, a dark power has arisen once again in the land of Mo...." where the shadows lie."

Famous Speeches: Aragorn at the Black Gate]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGUNvIFTQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRlNECEL4Hk

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 21 2014, 4:55am)

boldog
Rohan

Aug 21 2014, 6:23am

Post #2 of 13 (378 views)
Shortcut
look whats happening in iraq!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is too evil to comprehend a human doing! I agree with you though. Orcs were made to do evil deeds. They can't help it as its in their nature. Whereas humans were not made to do evil deeds. So for a human to do evil like an orc, I'd consider to be far worse

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 2:14pm

Post #3 of 13 (362 views)
Shortcut
You talking about the journalist? [In reply to] Can't Post

RIP - it's a terrible thing, I don't ever want to see the video. But the weird thing is, last week a cease-fire held in Gaza of all places, while Missouri was calling out the National Guard! To be honest, I've been worried about the USA for some time; we've become so ideologically polarized, we've never been so far apart politically since the 1850's. And I can't help but wonder if some of the crap we're seeing in the Middle East won't find it's way here. Not Muslim extremists, mind you, just Extremists of a different sort. And it's not just political or religious ideologies either, there's the wealth gap, the feeling that we've lost something, and the need to find someone to blame (think Salem witch trials). I wonder if Ferguson is going to be the start of some really bad times in America, I hope I'm wrong but....

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Aug 21 2014, 2:29pm

Post #4 of 13 (357 views)
Shortcut
I agree! At least in Middle Earth you can see who the enemy is. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in this place, it is much more difficult to see the evil when it is coming, you just don't know who it will be coming from. Animals do not carry this evil (unless they are taught to do so by humans), nor plants or trees.

It is interesting that in Middle Earth the Elves, Dwarfs, Wizards, have a place to go in the afterlife where all pain is forgotten and all are welcome no matter how they have behaved during their lifetime. Orcs and dark creatures continue on in their darkness (which, I am sure suits them just fine). No one is quite sure if the Race of Men have a peaceful, light-filled place to go after they die. The usually end up making such a mess of things wherever they go, most feel that Morgoth must have been waiting on them at their awakening and some must have fallen into darkness, from day 1.

Please, call me Ve.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 21 2014, 3:00pm

Post #5 of 13 (358 views)
Shortcut
All of the victims of this pure evil in the Middle East and Africa. [In reply to] Can't Post

Each generation has its particular evil...Cambodia's genocide, Stalin's genocides, Hitler, Ottoman Turks, etc. etc. etc..... The total depravity on display now is the essence of pure evil (whereas the perpetrators see themselves bathed on glory)...sick. Evil does not abide by the side saying they are done. Evil continues until it is totally and thoroughly defeated. That job entails getting hands very dirty indeed.

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Aug 21 2014, 5:04pm

Post #6 of 13 (363 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, have to say this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I was POTUS the last thing I would do when an American journalist is beheaded by terrorists is go and play another round of golf.The thought of the POTUS teeing off 20mins after his 5min press conference while, at the same time, James Foley's heartbroken family were talking about their brave son, is just utterly shameful.

Also, the fact that details have been released about the failed rescue attempt of James Foley is insane.There are other journalists still in terrorists hands!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2014, 5:40pm

Post #7 of 13 (349 views)
Shortcut
I sometimes wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

how much government business is accomplished on those very golf greens, out of the way of crowds of people that seem to be around everywhere else - staff, advisors, lobbyists, political allies and enemies. I have no idea what actually happened once our president stepped away from the microphones and I have no idea what his thoughts were but I cannot imagine that they were on his golf score.

To tell the truth, it is my hope that round of golf gave him the hour or so of peace to be able to think things through, instead of indulging in knee-jerk reactions to that kind of horror. I imagine that kind of respite it hard to come by and, especially for those in power, needed.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 21 2014, 6:20pm

Post #8 of 13 (346 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Ioreth... [In reply to] Can't Post

... via work we got sent that horrible video and since we hadn't yet heard about it we watched it and didn't realize fast enough what was going on. It was horrible... but in a way we had to see it - as we deal with those issues (terrorism, security, international relations) among other things.

I do not believe for a second Obama was unmoved by this (having seen it, for sure). He probably sees this kind of thing more often than is good for anyone. Who are we to judge how he deals with it?! I am sure there was a private conversation between the family and Obama. We should stay out of this.

Plus we have to be aware that what happened to Foley is happening daily right now... and it is mainly women and children who are killed by ISIS this way. This is the kind of stuff Obama (and others) deal with every single day right now. It is actually a shame it took an American life to cause a louder outcry over the inhumanity happening in Iraq right now.

There are countries in which tragedies like this unite people... in recent years a part of the far-right in the US seems to be way too keen on having a rift go through American society. With no interest in closing it. The media is a helpful ally... the way they manipulate the gold pictures and the pictures of Foley's family - that is the shameful business. Not this round of golf.

But - unlike his predeccesor - Obama does not seem to be one for knee-jerk decisions. Which would be totally inappropriate now.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 21 2014, 6:28pm)

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Aug 21 2014, 10:01pm

Post #9 of 13 (323 views)
Shortcut
Although I have been a LONGTIME Obama supporter - [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe that he should have returned to Washington after he received news of the horrific, brutal and disgusting murder of James Foley. Cameron (spelling ?) in UK ended his vacation after learning that the principal butcher in that horrible video (which I would never watch) seemed to have an English accent.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 21 2014, 10:42pm

Post #10 of 13 (312 views)
Shortcut
Well, I will agree to disagree and let it go at that. [In reply to] Can't Post

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 21 2014, 10:47pm

Post #11 of 13 (308 views)
Shortcut
This is very true. [In reply to] Can't Post

People are not inherently so and for them to do that is a greater disgrace.

"And so they stood on the walls of the city of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 22 2014, 4:25pm

Post #12 of 13 (262 views)
Shortcut
Such inspiring speeches! Well done :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 22 2014, 10:08pm

Post #13 of 13 (272 views)
Shortcut
If Obama was faced with this on the golf course, [In reply to] Can't Post

i can readily believe that, that was a better environment to get his head around how to embrace the task of dealing with it. It would be a calm and beautiful setting, peaceful with birds singing. Calm is needed sorely in this situation. He would have the physical movement that many people need to let the mental processes evolve, even though a total detachment to the 'game' is likely to have happened. I know by running, or swimming laps or raking leaves, my thoughts take on a process 'all on their own' and amazing ideas or solutions fall in my lap unbeknownst where they came from.

Remember what happened to George Bush in that classroom with the kids when he was told of that awful event on 9/11. He just sat there with the kids gone in the quiet and started the process to get himself grounded for a course of action.

Just because some run around or go somewhere else, their ability to deal with any particular problem is not necessarily going to be better.

We have, as just common place citizens, a profound ignorance to the myriad of hurdles and complications a president has to deal with every moment of the day.

The quote, "Then do not be too eager to deal out death and judgement." comes to mind.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.