Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Rings of Power question: why nothing for Yavanna?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 22 2014, 9:03pm

Post #26 of 32 (2829 views)
Shortcut
blue by you [In reply to] Can't Post

But what if one considers a lighter colored azure cloak 'more' blue than cobalt blue... in the sense that less is more...

... I mean, can you 'azure' me that we will all agree on this?

Blush

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 22 2014, 9:24pm

Post #27 of 32 (2809 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... I mean, can you 'azure' me that we will all agree on this?

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 22 2014, 9:55pm

Post #28 of 32 (2799 views)
Shortcut
Blue on blue, heartache on heartache [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
in the sense that less is more...

More or less - that's 'Blue By-you'.

Did the Two Blues wear 'Blue Suede Shoes'?
And known as 'Blue Angels'.
Aw, the whole thing is a 'Rhapsody in Blue'.

I can 'azure' TongueTongue you we shall ALL never agree on this.

** BG's singing 'Folsom Prison Blues' **WinkWink

“Uva uvam vivendo varia fit."

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 23 2014, 12:50am

Post #29 of 32 (2825 views)
Shortcut
Just awesome Darkstone. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gotta love the Van. Cool *rorth!*

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 24 2014, 2:41pm

Post #30 of 32 (2791 views)
Shortcut
i absolutely love this concept [In reply to] Can't Post

not necessarily saying the hypothesis bears out, but i +love+ this line of exploration! intriguing!

if tolkien was going for the major elements with the rings (which seems so, on the surface), it is odd that earth is missing. i will share that "ring of earth" not only does not sound lovely, but it sounds.... odd.

i do think fire would be melko.... or perhaps yavanna, as she was the focus of so much life... animal and plant.... so perhaps she did have a ring.

other candidates might be nienna.... as her wisdom and nurturing develops strength of spirit, endurance of spirit, and healing. gandalf used all of these in his labors, and was also "apprenticed" to nienna.

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 25 2014, 9:09pm

Post #31 of 32 (2793 views)
Shortcut
The Dirty Ring? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to dress that one up. One might say, "The Earthen Ring" and lose the symmetry with the others, but it sounds a little less like something in your bathtup you want to clean up.

If JRR did have an Ring of Soil, he might have dodged that anyway the way he did with Nenya, which he called the ring of adamant rather than the diamond ring, and that doesn't sound aquatic at all. I particularly like that reference to Nenya because adamant also means strong and unyielding, which describes Galadriel too. So maybe a Dirt Ring could be a Ring of Singing Rock or Ring of Strength or The Mountain Heart Ring, etc. There would be ways to dress it up.

Fire is what we make of it, isn't? It could as easily be a destructive force of Melkor as the illumination of Nienna, making it fitting that her disciple, Olorin, wound up with it.

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 27 2014, 12:41pm

Post #32 of 32 (2806 views)
Shortcut
the ring of bathtub [In reply to] Can't Post

the ring of bathtub. no one wanted it. they gave it to bombadil, because it wouldn't matter if he lost it. i think he gave it to a barrow-wright.

but, seriously, why give them the names of the elements at all? just for poetry? their powers don't really seem to correlate to the elements for which they are named.

i was thinking of the rings the other day, immersed in cogitation. i had an interesting thought, but i don't remember it. i'm hoping one of you can.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.