CG eyes and eye contact
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 19 2014, 8:58pm

Post #26 of 32 (719 views)
Shortcut
Really?? I hope not... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favourite scenes. I've not noticed any CG before but I'll have to look out for it now. I do remember Gandalf's expression looking a bit odd though Unsure

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 19 2014, 9:23pm

Post #27 of 32 (711 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just watched it several times... don't see it at all.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 19 2014, 9:33pm

Post #28 of 32 (697 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps that will change. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR continuity supervisor Victoria Sullivan did do work on AUJ, but was assisted (uncredited) by Veronique Lawrence who then replaced Ms. Sullivan on DoS and BoFA. LOTR continuity supervisor Dianne Moffatt did not work on The Hobbit films at all.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man pierced with many black-feathered arrows, must be in want of a funeral."

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Aug 19 2014, 10:31pm

Post #29 of 32 (685 views)
Shortcut
Any big blockbuster is going to have tons of continuity problems [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out the Avengers page for example: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/goofs

It's just the nature of the beast. Pirate

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 20 2014, 12:34am

Post #30 of 32 (688 views)
Shortcut
Amen. [In reply to] Can't Post

No more needs to be said.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Aug 22 2014, 5:55am

Post #31 of 32 (589 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
People don't see more flaws in these films because they don't know any better, or are blinded by some kind of bias. I for one would totally disagree with you regarding DOTPOTA and GOTG, both of which had stellar CG work (also both above 90% on RT!). But those were different stories and different films. You are probably correct that The Hobbit films are held to a different standard. But if that's the case you can surely blame Jackson himself for making film history with LOTR. Smile

What many people seem eager to dismiss is Jackson's decision to try and meticulously bridge these films with LOTR (don't say he's not), while deliberately chucking so many of the techniques that won him and WETA so much admiration and acclaim. And ask yourself if Jackson felt that the Hobbit needed to be 3D 48fps in order to tell the best story. Do you believe that?

IMO he favored making the change in technology over making the best possible film. It's not without reason; dramatic shifts in film technology rest upon big films likes these to get them to stick. I'm guessing that Jackson knew there would be some fallout, but was audacious enough to push the new 3D 48fps tech that he didn't care what people thought. I applaud his decision to push the technology. I just wish it hadn't been the Hobbit.

I especially agree with the last paragraph. I really wish he had waited to push the new tech with a different film. I just wanted to see TH in 2D, 24fps, on 35mm film.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Aug 22 2014, 6:20am

Post #32 of 32 (604 views)
Shortcut
This is pretty interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
… aka, “subjectivization by eyeline”, using deliberately mismatched eyelines is a technique seen in films as diverse as Carl Theodor Dreyer’s Jeanne d’Arc (1928), Jean-Luc Godard’s A bout de Souffle (aka Breathless) (1960), Nagisa Ôshima’s The Man Who Put His Will on Film (1970), Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining (1980), and just about any film by Ozu Yasujiro.

Forget what the objective interpretation of their eyeline tells you (“Who/what are they looking at?”), instead you are meant to consider what the subjective interpretation is telling you. (What are they feeling? What are they thinking? etc.)

This is what is called “character development”.

That's why whenever I see something odd on screen I usually go "Now what is the director saying?" rather than "Aha!! Gotcha!!!!", but that's just me.

I honestly never thought about looking at it this way. Usually, eyelines don't bother me. I'm pretty sure in ROTK EE there was a huge eyeline discrepency in the voice of saruman scene between both groups and the height of the tower. But I really just kind of play it off. Though, your explanation is pretty interesting as I never considered that it might be actual intention of the director to shoot it that way.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.