need help trying to create an inline image in a post

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 1:59am

Post #1 of 18 (276 views)
Shortcut
need help trying to create an inline image in a post Can't Post

the instructions state:

"place your cursor in your post where you want to insert the picture. Click on the picture icon in the Advanced Editor menu "

i do not see a "picture icon."

any pointers?

thanks and cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Kim
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 2:56am

Post #2 of 18 (222 views)
Shortcut
Hi Maciliel [In reply to] Can't Post

On the Advanced Editor menu, it's the second to last icon on the right:

If you don't see this view, you may need to click the Switch to Advanced Editor button immediately under the text entry window.

“Will you follow me, one last time?”

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:05am

Post #3 of 18 (220 views)
Shortcut
i do not see any link [In reply to] Can't Post

hi kim.... thank you for your help, much appreciated.

however, i do not see any link below the text box.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 18 2014, 3:11am

Post #4 of 18 (222 views)
Shortcut
It sounds to me like you're using basic editor [In reply to] Can't Post

If you can't see a link to advanced editor then I am guessing you are using Google Chrome. If you want to follow Magpie's advanced editor instructions, you will have to switch browser (also not compatible in Safari).

Do these instructions work for you (originally from the CHOW thread):

Basic Editor Mode

Using an image from the internet:

1. Copy the picture link
2. In the post window, type something like this:

{image}http://file.jpg{/image}

But replace curly brackets {} with square brackets []. Obviously, replace http://file.jpg with the actual file name.

Using an image from your computer:

1. Click Choose File and pick your file
2. Tick "Inline"
3. Press "Upload attachment"
4. In the post window, type something like this:

{inline file.png}

But replace curly brackets {} with square brackets []. Obviously, replace file.png with the actual file name.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Aug 18 2014, 3:19am)

Kim
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:13am

Post #5 of 18 (212 views)
Shortcut
What do you see right under the text box? [In reply to] Can't Post

I see this and I'm in Advanced Editor:

If you're in Basic Editor, the button just under the text entry area would say Switch to Advanced Editor.

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:23am

Post #6 of 18 (204 views)
Shortcut
hi kim [In reply to] Can't Post

hi kim --

that key with "switch to...." is missing from my screen (see attached image, since i cannot post it inline...)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Attachments: inline.image.troubleshootin.jpg (42.5 KB)

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:25am

Post #7 of 18 (204 views)
Shortcut
hi daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

hi daniel.... let me try what you suggest...

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Aug 18 2014, 3:26am)

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:27am

Post #8 of 18 (197 views)
Shortcut
hi daniel -- [In reply to] Can't Post

fantastic -- what you suggested worked.. many thanks! : ) this has frustrated me for over a year.

however, i'm still stumped as to why i'm missing the toggle link for the basic / advanced editor.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:30am

Post #9 of 18 (202 views)
Shortcut
k -- [In reply to] Can't Post

ok... now i'm going to post some pictures of my art in the pollantir "do you draw?" thread.

thanks, daniel!

also, many thanks to kim as well for the troubleshooting help. i know taking screenshots can be time consuming so i very much appreciate it. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Kim
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:34am

Post #10 of 18 (199 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear Daniel's steps work for you [In reply to] Can't Post

My computer/browser (IE) automatically puts me in Advanced Editor, although I can switch to Basic. I'm wondering if the browser you use doesn't support Advanced? One of the mods might be able to answer that. In the meantime, have fun posting your art! You should put some in the Fan Art forum too. Smile

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:53am

Post #11 of 18 (193 views)
Shortcut
i'm using chrome [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm using chrome -- but i don't see the toggle link when i'm viewing via my smartphone, either.

here's the ink to the art thread, with newly uploaded, inline photos of some of my work...

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=764600#764600

thanks again for everyone's help.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 18 2014, 3:57am

Post #12 of 18 (186 views)
Shortcut
Yep, as DanielLB said, [In reply to] Can't Post

Chrome offers only Basic Editor - which I dislike for general posting because the text box is so tiny. I'm glad you've got the code now for images when using Basic Editor. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 18 2014, 3:58am

Post #13 of 18 (186 views)
Shortcut
Advanced Editor is not available in Chrome or Safari [In reply to] Can't Post

and perhaps other cellphone browsers.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 3:59am

Post #14 of 18 (184 views)
Shortcut
thanks, guys : ) // [In reply to] Can't Post

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 18 2014, 4:00am

Post #15 of 18 (185 views)
Shortcut
You can change the size of the text box. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's in Edit Profile > Display Settings:

Textbox width (in characters):
Textbox height (in characters):

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 18 2014, 4:12am

Post #16 of 18 (182 views)
Shortcut
textbox [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, magpie. : )

along while ago, i figured out that i could drag and drop the corner of the text box to make it larger / smaller.

but i'm always up for adding more tricks to my bag.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 18 2014, 4:54am

Post #17 of 18 (177 views)
Shortcut
Aha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Beauty - thanks Magpie. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 18 2014, 2:35pm

Post #18 of 18 (211 views)
Shortcut
I think I happened upon that trick as well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

but then I forgot about it!

But I have mine at a default size that works well for me and I'm all for not doing one extra step. So I don't mind forgetting that trick.

I got a new mouse, recently, and frankly... I hate it. It's terrible at precision mousing and it makes everything I do on the computer just a tad harder.

I paid a decent sum for it so I'm reluctant to trash it and start over. I just kind of live with it till I figure I can't anymore. Then I'll buy a new one.

m

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.