The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite Hobbit facepalm moments and predictions

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 16 2014, 5:09pm

Post #1 of 7 (1010 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Hobbit facepalm moments and predictions Can't Post

I thought it would be fun to have a thread in which posters could list one of their favorite cringe worthy moments from either AUJ or DOS, and then make a prediction about BOTFAOTABA.

To start:
Facepalm: Thorin gets upset and yells at Bilbo for putting him out, moments after being attacked by multiple, people-shaped MOUNTAINS. Talk about misguided aggression!

Predicted Facepalm: This one might be obvious, but color me intrigued by Bard in the cart. Is he leaving the action? Or bouncing into the action? I predict he'll single handedly take out upwards of 13 orcs in his madcap ride through the sloping streets of Dale.

(This post was edited by Bishop on Aug 16 2014, 5:11pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 16 2014, 5:17pm

Post #2 of 7 (682 views)
Shortcut
I've got one [In reply to] Can't Post

The part with Kili with his head on the walnuts. I always laugh at that way to hard. What is the point of it?! The scene with the overemphasize on the glowing just looks weird in context.

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 16 2014, 5:33pm

Post #3 of 7 (644 views)
Shortcut
The walnut pillow [In reply to] Can't Post

Always great for a chuckle.

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 16 2014, 7:33pm

Post #4 of 7 (595 views)
Shortcut
Dear lord [In reply to] Can't Post

What happened to your last post Burgahobbit!? I am in your debt for turning me on to the 1985 Russian Hobbit. I'm laughing so hard there are literally tears streaming down my face, and I'm only about 3 minutes into it. This version has the added genius of bogus subtitles which are brain melting.

I cannot thank you enough.

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Aug 16 2014, 11:32pm

Post #5 of 7 (440 views)
Shortcut
The Russian Hobbit is hilarious to watch [In reply to] Can't Post

It never ceases to make me laugh!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 10:03pm

Post #6 of 7 (281 views)
Shortcut
WHAT??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought it would be fun to have a thread in which posters could list one of their favorite cringe worthy moments from either AUJ or DOS, and then make a prediction about BOTFAOTABA.

To start:
Facepalm: Thorin gets upset and yells at Bilbo for putting him out, moments after being attacked by multiple, people-shaped MOUNTAINS. Talk about misguided aggression! Except that Thorin was angry because he almost fell to his DEATH???

Predicted Facepalm: This one might be obvious, but color me intrigued by Bard in the cart. Is he leaving the action? Or bouncing into the action? I predict he'll single handedly take out upwards of 13 orcs in his madcap ride through the sloping streets of Dale.

Yes, probably joining the battle, possibly getting knocked into the cart and finding it careening out of control. I suppose my biggest facepalm is the falling inside the mountain, particularly Bilbo's fall but that last one with the bridge breaking was pretty dumb as well. Can't think of too much in DOS, I guess the healing scene bugged me the most. Based on what I've seen in the teaser trailer I can't think of anything that would be as silly as those falls. I'm also more interested in how Bard breaks out of jail than what he's doing in the cart.

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Aug 17 2014, 10:04pm)

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 17 2014, 10:27pm

Post #7 of 7 (258 views)
Shortcut
No way! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine any possible justification Thorin might have to be mad / frustrated with Bilbo at that moment, considering everything they had just encountered literally seconds before. It just seems bizarre, frankly. Maybe Thorin is in shock and just takes it out on Bilbo because he's lost his mind? Maybe Thorin is just a real jerk (this is the most plausible to me). Or maybe if Bilbo was being a weakling and didn't even try to reach for help, but his struggle to extend his arm and grab the hands of the other Dwarves is crystal clear so that's not a good reason. To be mad at Bilbo for falling over the edge after being thrashed about on the knees of fighting mountains is nonsensical. There were no heroics there. I mean, all the Dwarves did was scream like little babies and take the abuse. There was no need to single Bilbo out. He also tells Bilbo to "keep up" even though he's in the middle of the pack. Come on Thorin! Cut the dude some slack!

I'm really curious about the cart sequence. Is it a Bard plan, to roll down the hill? Or is he just at the whim of some bizarre set of circumstances, like a barrel on the rapids? Perhaps he sees some situation going on way downtown, and he's got to take action, so the quickest way is to bounce down the hill on a cart, nearly running over his own children (you gotta admit, that was a close one!). Or maybe someone put him in it and pushed him to help him escape a situation? Or it could just be a meaningless tack on to another epicly choreographed sequence. I won't lie, I laughed hard during the barrel sequence, which I think was the intended effect. They spent something like 2 years on that sequence alone!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.