Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Russian Hobbit Pros and Cons (with real english subtitles).

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 3:29pm

Post #1 of 7 (519 views)
Shortcut
The Russian Hobbit Pros and Cons (with real english subtitles). Can't Post

I love this film! It is so bizarre, but I still really enjoy it. I mean, Gandalf's glitter face and the human goblins are one thing, and don't even get me started on the Lake-town sequence with the ridiculous dancing and giant people. But the actor who plays Bilbo and the wonderful Misty Mountains tune are something completely different. I also like the long drawn out scenes a lot. Bilbo running back and forth and acting VERY politely (something I sort of miss from AUJ, even though I still love that scene) as he hangs his scarf up and puts it back down, huffing and puffing and bowing to the dwarves is just a joy to watch.

Anyway, here are the best five seconds of the film! I really thing Peter Jackson should add this in after Bard shoots Smaug:

https://www.youtube.com/...v=XALj24n1F2k#t=3575 (I can't get the link to the right spot for some reason. Just jump ahead to 59:35 and watch the killing of Smaug. It is SO worth it!)

XD

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Aug 16 2014, 3:30pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 16 2014, 5:20pm

Post #2 of 7 (359 views)
Shortcut
Is it somehow different from the English Hobbit films? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this a separate movie made only in Russia or is it just a subtitled version?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2014, 5:27pm

Post #3 of 7 (348 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty certain that it is an original Russian version... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not recall any live-action Hobbit films made in any English-speaking countries before PJ's trilogy.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 6:47pm

Post #4 of 7 (356 views)
Shortcut
It's a 1985 Soviet TV movie [In reply to] Can't Post

For those who are interested, I go through all the film and television adaptations in my "Film Adaptations" chapter in the new Wiley Blackwell A Companion to J. R. R. Tolkien.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 16 2014, 7:01pm

Post #5 of 7 (342 views)
Shortcut
Yep, it's an independent feature [In reply to] Can't Post

A low budget film made to appeal to Children in 1985. The link I included in the OP is the entire Russian film with English subtitles. I said it was just a few seconds because I was trying to link to 59:35-59:50, but couldn't get it to work.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 17 2014, 2:59am

Post #6 of 7 (326 views)
Shortcut
When I click on the link, it goes to the right place // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 18 2014, 1:49am

Post #7 of 7 (365 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

It does for me now too! When I previewed my post ahead of time I tested the link and it didn't work for some reason so I assumed it wouldn't work in the actual post either.

Thanks for letting me know Voronwe!

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Aug 18 2014, 1:50am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.