Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TH DOS SEE: DVD seems to be Walmart exclusive in USA!

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 8:43am

Post #1 of 25 (2757 views)
Shortcut
TH DOS SEE: DVD seems to be Walmart exclusive in USA! Can't Post

Heya,

There was some commotion as US Amazon does not list The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug DVD version. Now there seems to be an explanation for this (source):

I just got a hold someone high up in the Warner Brothers food change about the DVD.

It WILL be a Wal-Mart exclusive on November 4th.

However, they will release the Extended Edition everywhere else in the Spring 2015. So if you want it right away, looks like Wal-Mart is the place to go.

So far, it is not known if this will be the 5-DVD-Version, or the stripped-down 2-DVD-version without extras (like the one Wal-Mart released for AUJ).

For everybody who can play multiregion DVDs and wants the packaging with the picture, there are international options available (with foreign lettering, alas).

There will also be a UK/Spain/Australia/Russian version without the picture but with the Arkenstone symbol (more in the likeness of LOTR SEE).

Oh, and by the way, here's a better quality version of the DVD artwork (with picture):

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Aug 13 2014, 8:44am)

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Aug 13 2014, 10:36am

Post #2 of 25 (1961 views)
Shortcut
Ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

Warners, do NOT make me give money to (or even step foot in) that bloated, corrupt corporation ever again!!! Mad Mad Mad

(This post was edited by BalrogTrainer on Aug 13 2014, 10:40am)

shadow0421
Bree

Aug 13 2014, 11:47am

Post #3 of 25 (1905 views)
Shortcut
You might [In reply to] Can't Post

want to stop paying for cable too because Comcast is corrupt as well. And Home Depot and Best Buy and....

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 3:39pm

Post #4 of 25 (1808 views)
Shortcut
I really hope this turns out to be not true [In reply to] Can't Post

Am I assuming correctly that this is not a source that you know directly? I have found that your own sources are generally very accurate, but I am hoping that this is just something that you found on the Blu-ray Forum, the accuracy of which is unknown. I really don't want to have to purchase from WalMart, and if it turns out to be only the two DVD stripped down version without the appendices, than it really isn't worth it all.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 4:36pm

Post #5 of 25 (1769 views)
Shortcut
Amazon is in dispute with vendors [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if that has any bearing on this, but Amazon is not carrying certain books and movies (Disney, I think) because of pricing demands. Like BOTFA, everyone wants a piece of the pie.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 5:20pm

Post #6 of 25 (1732 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Walmart is close buy and I will waste no time in going to pick it up.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2014, 5:25pm

Post #7 of 25 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Well, i won't argue about Comcast [In reply to] Can't Post

(where i live we have Charter, which isn't bad, actually), but not all corporations are equally bad-- some are actually better than others-- and some treat their employees and customers quite fairly (Costco comes to mind).

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 6:16pm

Post #8 of 25 (1694 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ugh

I had the same thought.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Aug 13 2014, 7:36pm

Post #9 of 25 (1673 views)
Shortcut
Is that Sauron behind Bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is is Smaug just a lot larger in the film than I remember? Wink

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Aug 13 2014, 7:36pm)

delius82
Rivendell

Aug 13 2014, 11:02pm

Post #10 of 25 (1601 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad i'll never step into a Wal-Mart.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2014, 1:00am

Post #11 of 25 (1618 views)
Shortcut
On a slightly related note... [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you have much knowledge about the DVD/Bluray editions, what's the deal with the Czech version that has the key to Erebor? I've heard it bandied about but can't seem to find any information about it anywhere.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 14 2014, 7:58am

Post #12 of 25 (1556 views)
Shortcut
In USA, seems to be... [In reply to] Can't Post

...In USA, this seems to be a Best Buy exclusive.

Warner, stop with those exclusives already! Just stop.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 14 2014, 9:25am

Post #13 of 25 (1530 views)
Shortcut
I really do not want to support the exclusives... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I just hope this somehow finds it way to some German markets (the key version).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Noria
Gondor

Aug 14 2014, 1:07pm

Post #14 of 25 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Bad news for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I too dislike Walmart and would prefer to buy elsewhere.

I want the five disc DVD set with the Appendices, not a two disc version with just the EE itself like the Walmart version of the AUJ EE.

I'll see what Walmart offers and if I can bite the bullet and buy there. Otherwise, I'll have to wait til next spring.

Curse Warner Brothers!Wink

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 14 2014, 8:22pm

Post #15 of 25 (1470 views)
Shortcut
UK motif revealed in HQ! [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 14 2014, 9:49pm

Post #16 of 25 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Nice! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2014, 10:39pm

Post #17 of 25 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Wow, thanks for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it :)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2014, 10:50pm

Post #18 of 25 (1436 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm in the same boat. [In reply to] Can't Post

I want the 5-disc set, and I'd rather not have to go to Walmart to get it. I only hope "spring" doesn't mean late May or June. All the extra bits will be pirated and all over the web long before then.

I miss New Line as it was; a studio that actually gained a clue as to how to maintain good relations with a fanbase. Instead of learning anything over the course of these films, WB seems to be an inexhaustible source of misleading hype and inept PR and marketing. I am unimpressed. Unimpressed

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 15 2014, 1:04am

Post #19 of 25 (1415 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

WBs DVD/Bluray strategy is just... sad! Half of the editions looks cheap, like they're tailored for children who need something flashy to get their attention on store shelves. None of the Hobbit editions have the elegance that the LOTR editions did. Though the UK editions come quite close, thank goodness. The rest make me feel like I'm in a comic store Unimpressed

arbino man

Aug 15 2014, 2:59pm

Post #20 of 25 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Reply [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Am I assuming correctly that this is not a source that you know directly? I have found that your own sources are generally very accurate, but I am hoping that this is just something that you found on the Blu-ray Forum, the accuracy of which is unknown. I really don't want to have to purchase from WalMart, and if it turns out to be only the two DVD stripped down version without the appendices, than it really isn't worth it all.

I'm the one who got the e-mail so it's legit. (signed up just to say that)

I've been checking Walmart everyday with no info yet. I asked them if it will be a two disc or five disc and they didn't know, but said to keep checking Walmarts website for up to date info.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 15 2014, 3:02pm

Post #21 of 25 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate you taking the time to provide confirmation. If you get any further information, please do let us know.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 15 2014, 3:38pm

Post #22 of 25 (1374 views)
Shortcut
My first impression is that it will be a stripped-down version.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wal-mart is intensely fixated on economy and lower prices. They always aim to under-cut all their competitors, and that is how they do so well for themselves. It's nice for picking up a few basic things, but for quality... not so much....

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

arbino man

Aug 17 2014, 6:11am

Post #23 of 25 (1334 views)
Shortcut
It's 5 discs [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-Of-Smaug-Extended-Edition-5-Disc-DVD-Digital-HD-Widescreen/38760768

It's up and running on their website.

Good news. It's the 5 disc.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Aug 17 2014, 4:37pm

Post #24 of 25 (1322 views)
Shortcut
:( [In reply to] Can't Post

Why couldn't the US get this version.

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Sep 1 2014, 1:24pm

Post #25 of 25 (1301 views)
Shortcut
Yeah it is Amazon playing greedy [In reply to] Can't Post

Or is that Gollum? Their actions against WB, Disney and that book distributor are quite appalling. I will be closing my account after 15 years due to their tactics.

DOS EE digital for me. Same for TBO5A.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.