The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Story Trailer -­ Sauron's Servants

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Aug 12 2014, 8:38pm

Post #1 of 8 (413 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Story Trailer -­ Sauron's Servants Can't Post

Today, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) and Monolith Productions released the Shadow of Mordor Story Trailer -­ Sauron's Servants.

Talion sets out to rage war against Sauron's servants, The Black Captains, who forced the Ranger to watch as his son and wife were murdered.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor delivers a dynamic game environment where the player orchestrates their personal plan of vengeance as they bend Mordor to their will. The game begins on the night of Sauronıs return to Mordor, as his Black Captains brutally execute the Rangers of the Black Gate. Players become Talion, a ranger who loses his family and everything he holds dear, only to be returned from death by a mysterious Spirit of vengeance. Based on the playerıs actions with the in-game Nemesis System, every enemy encountered is distinct and can evolve to become a personal archenemy through the course of the game. As Talionıs personal vendetta unfolds, players uncover the mystery of the Spirit that compels him, discover the origin of the Rings of Power and confront the ultimate nemesis.

The Palantir App is available to download for free from the App Store. A partnership between WBIE and Wikia, Palantir will sync with game assets and the final game, to reveal additional layers of information, insights and fan-authored content, creating a unique second-screen experience. Enable Palantirıs sync mode while the Shadow of Mordor Story Trailer -­ Sauron's Servants video plays to try it out.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will launch in the Americas on September 30, 2014 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360; and on October 2, 2014 for PC and Steam.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Aug 13 2014, 3:09pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 7:19pm

Post #2 of 8 (304 views)
Shortcut
Am I missing the link? [In reply to] Can't Post

Click.

This has become such an obvious mix of Game of Thrones, Middle-earth and Assassin's Creed that I will not buy this unless it is much much cheaper - if at all.

I do not demand purism when it comes to Middle-earth games... but if you are not capable to create a game within the lore of Tolkien that even remotely captures what his world-building was all about, immidate the look of a popular game series and add some gore because GoT is hip right now... well, than you may create a fun action RPG but have totally missed the license's potential.

A license is more than using some names. Given what a great mix of art and entertainment some games have become, this is rather pathetic.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 10:26pm

Post #3 of 8 (296 views)
Shortcut
As I've said before [In reply to] Can't Post

It's going to have fan fic and some feel of that. I think it will also have some feel and info that is true. Obviously it's ones money to do what one will but I'm gonna keep my order and give the game a go.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 13 2014, 10:52pm

Post #4 of 8 (309 views)
Shortcut
Respectfully disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, on the gore, I'm glad they're going with the "M" rating. Middle-earth is basically a medieval world, with swords and battles, so to not embrace that and make a T-rated game would be a loss. One of the reasons I loved War in the North. Seeing an orc's head and limbs flying off added to the realism a sword or axe would do to an enemy. The books, while not descriptive in gore and blood, do have battles, and no doubt many Gondor/Rohan soldiers and orcs lost limbs and had their heads decapitated. And the films are limited by the PG-13 rating, yet we still get some good "gore" moments. So to say they're just going the route of Game of Thrones is an irrational claim. An "M" rating allows them to tell a more mature and emotional story, and let's us take out Talion's rage on his foes in much more graphic ways, which I like. Nothing fun about a sword slicing an enemy only to have no marks or cuts or blood and just have the body fall to the ground. Glad Middle-earth games are taking this direction.

And to say it doesn't fit Tolkien's lore is another point I can't agree on. Now I'm not the most well-versed in the whole lore of Middle-earth (have read LOTR and Hobbit hundreds of times, but only just starting the Sil, Children of Hurin, Book of Lost Tales, etc), but it seems to me they're trying to stick to the general feel of Middle-earth (which I think they've captured amazingly well from behind the scenes stuff), and just trying to tell a new story in Middle-earth without being limited to only the written word of Tolkien. Middle-earth is such a huge world with rich lore, and to only base things off which came before would be very limiting. I'm glad more things like games are focusing on newly created events like Talion for example, or the characters from War in the North, since, again, Middle-earth is so huge with many men, dwarves, elves, and hobbits, and not just the Fellowship and those they encounter in the books. I know the wraith thing goes against Tolkien, but I think it'll make the game more interesting, especially learning about Celebrimbor and the surrounding areas of Mordor. And I think it captures what Tolkien wrote in LOTR and The Hobbit, the good vs evil, justice vs revenge, all that good stuff.

I think first and foremost you should judge the game based on its gameplay, presentation, and story within itself, not directly what Tolkien wrote. All these things thus far have been met with critical acclaim from gaming sites, even winning multiple E3 awards. So to not give the game a chance merely based on it not following Tolkien's lore to a T is a sore loss, as this will truly be a great game no doubt, and hopefully usher in more Middle-earth games.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

(This post was edited by LordotRings93 on Aug 13 2014, 10:54pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 14 2014, 6:38am

Post #5 of 8 (299 views)
Shortcut
Following Tolkien to a T [In reply to] Can't Post

That is exactly what I said I don't expect. You may re-read my post.
Let alone that "sticking in" some information has not necessarily anything to do with actually creating Middle-earth feeling.

If I had bought the game then of course I would have judged it on its own merits. But promotion material is there so people can decide whether to buy a product or not. I have not found much in this material that interests me or what I expect from a Middle-earth RPG - so I stated I won't buy it, at least at first. Simple as that. As you can apparantly already judge that this will be "a great game no doubt" in your opinion, I can judge that it will probably not satisfy me - so I save my money. This has nothing to do with being a purist or criticizing it is not following Tolkien to a T. I just stated that this does not seem to be what I expect from a Middle-earth RPG and what the license can potentially be the basis for - at least not as longs as noone has seriously attempted to actually create a Skyrim-like RPG within the universe.

Have fun with it - I am actually hoping many will buy it, as it will increase the changes that I will also finally get a game I might like (as long as the quality of this one proves to be as good as some project).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 14 2014, 6:49am)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 15 2014, 2:55am

Post #6 of 8 (255 views)
Shortcut
Pardon my post before [In reply to] Can't Post

I did realize what you said about sticking to lore a few seconds after posting my response, but out of laziness and having to rewrite a lot of what I said I sort of just added an extra sentence in, although that didn't really do much. Again, sorry for assuming you wanted strict Tolkien purism.

And again, I respect your opinion and why you don't want to play the game, but I feel it does capture the essence of Middle-earth, and as do a lot of others who are hailing this as one of the greater Middle-earth games (yes, before it's released, but that bodes well I think). Maybe this particular game isn't your cup of tea, and again, I respect that, but I feel this will be a more mature Middle-earth story along the lines of the Children Of Hurin. And Talion looks to be a badass character to boot.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 15 2014, 10:13am

Post #7 of 8 (253 views)
Shortcut
No harm done :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And as I said, I also hope it will do well enough to support efforts to create more high quality games using the license.

There is so much potential.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 15 2014, 6:49pm

Post #8 of 8 (305 views)
Shortcut
Agree wholeheartedly [In reply to] Can't Post

Really hope they can start releasing Middle-earth games every 2 years at least, and start them in development beforehand. Without any more Middle-earth films, I hope to get my fix for the world in ongoing video games, for sure.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.