The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Me struggling again

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 1:00am

Post #1 of 16 (206 views)
Shortcut
Me struggling again Can't Post

Hi all! I am so sorry to bother you but I just don't know where to go. I am trying to install a footer and followed the instructions carefully. It seems to have worked but when I try to post instead of showing up all I see is a tiny white box with a red x. I am confused why this isn't working. Could you maybe give me a clue as to what is wrong?

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 13 2014, 1:02am

Post #2 of 16 (139 views)
Shortcut
Calling Magpie in 3, 2, 1... // [In reply to] Can't Post

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 1:06am

Post #3 of 16 (142 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully she can help me sort this out.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2014, 3:12am

Post #4 of 16 (141 views)
Shortcut
There is no image at the url you're using. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's going to this spot: http://www.picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_faramireowyncopy5sv.png

clickable link

Can you see anything at that link?

I just tried using that site. When I'm done changing the size of my image, I get a choice to do one of four things:
View Image
Resume Edit
Save to Disk
Save to Web

You want to do the last : Save to web.

Once I did that, I got a link. See below:

(NOTE: that screenshot is from one try for one image. I didn't ultimately use that image. But the screenshot lets you see where to find the tools you need)

Now, it seems to get tricksy. (non-intuitive which I think is poor service on their part)

The link in the field that says "Direct Link" doesn't work for the code here.

Look for a little icon with an arrow on it to the right of the link. Click on that which will take you to a new page with a whole bunch of links. Look for this area of links and zero in on the BBCode code:

Copy everything off in that field and put that in your signature field on the Edit Profile page.

That should work. Try it out. You may need to start fresh with your image on the picresize site.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 3:36am

Post #5 of 16 (129 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That last step on where to get the link was confusing on their site. I'll try it that way.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2014, 3:40am

Post #6 of 16 (126 views)
Shortcut
Very confusing! [In reply to] Can't Post

It tripped me up and I do this stuff a LOT.

fwiw: lots of people try out test posts on Feedback when installing footers. Some leave their posts and just say 'test' (or something)

Some of us test in an old thread and delete the post as soon as we've seen it. I've learned to always test in one of my old threads because when I picked them at random, some were started by people who got notices when replies were made to them. They were getting notices for all my testing posts that I was deleting.

But feel free to test here whenever you have a new image you want to use.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 4:24am

Post #7 of 16 (120 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much! I looked up your advice on footers and tried your recommended site and love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks so much better and the quality is amazing! Thank you a thousand times!
HeartSmile

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Aug 13 2014, 4:25am)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2014, 4:42am

Post #8 of 16 (113 views)
Shortcut
It's broken again [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't host your image on that site you're using now. You can only resize it and then you have to put the image on another site to host it.

You might try photobucket. I think there are people on the forum that use it and they might be able to help you with that.

I'm off to bed and won't be available for guidance till perhaps late tomorrow.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 5:02am

Post #9 of 16 (120 views)
Shortcut
I am hosting it on tinypic now. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to be working okay... I hope. I stink at computers.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2014, 1:10pm

Post #10 of 16 (100 views)
Shortcut
Your footer is too wide [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the guidelines:

5. Speaking of footers, so footer images don’t get too busy or big, please limit them to no more than 50k and no bigger than 240x180 pixels in size. Also, please limit footer text to no more than 15 lines of text. No image banners are allowed in footers (see #4). Also, no animated footers, pics in footers with links to your site, or pics that link to the site where your footer pic is posted, are allowed.

Your image is over 670x195 pixels.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2014, 1:34pm

Post #11 of 16 (101 views)
Shortcut
I've resized the images for you [In reply to] Can't Post

these are within the size limits for footers. If you can get one of these onto a hosting site you feel comfortable using, you are probably good.

The image is long and to reduce it down to the proper width, it isn't very tall. So I cropped it such that the image is taller (it's still the same width). Use whichever one you want.

There are a lot of components to successfully doing something like this. It's not unusual to have to bash around trying to get them all right. Next time, it will be easier. I promise.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2014, 1:39pm

Post #12 of 16 (101 views)
Shortcut
I see you're now using two footer images - both are too wide [In reply to] Can't Post

I've given you smaller, legal size images for the F&E image.

Here are some options for the Legolas image.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 2:59pm

Post #13 of 16 (94 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for resizing. I'll try to get the correct ones back up. [In reply to] Can't Post

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 3:48pm

Post #14 of 16 (89 views)
Shortcut
Okie dokie I hope it's better now... [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 13 2014, 11:30pm

Post #15 of 16 (72 views)
Shortcut
looks good to me. :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

btw, resizing images is a snap for me. If you are willing to wait till I can get to it and can get me the image (email is fine for large images or if the image is on the web, you can send me a link by PM), I don't mind resizing for people who struggle.

My software is made for this.

It looks like you got the hosting part settled. :-)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 14 2014, 3:46am

Post #16 of 16 (91 views)
Shortcut
Good. *big sigh of relief* [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Thanks for the help. I may have to take you up on it again sometime.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.