The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn in Dol Guldur

vexx801
Rivendell

Aug 12 2014, 10:37pm

Post #1 of 7 (959 views)
Shortcut
Beorn in Dol Guldur Can't Post

What do we think about the concept? There was a scene mentioned in an interview of Beorn either torturing or being tortured (something about his first scene involving torture). On top of this, in the film, Beorn talks about his imprisonment by Azog, and we see his chain. Also, Beorn says that there is an alliance between the orcs of Moria and the Necromancer in Dol Guldur. Finally, we've seen a shot of Gandalf and Beorn talking outside of his Hall. Then there is the Lego set of Beorn fighting orcs at Dol Guldur.

So picking up on these various threads, this is my thought/question. There was once speculation of a flashback scene involving Beorn in Dol Guldur. Do we think that in the Extended Edition of Desolation will have a scene before the company departs the Hall between Beorn and Gandalf, in which Beorn shares his knowledge of the Necromancer? And in this short conversation, we get a flashback?

I'm conscious of the 25-26 minutes, and I've seen various estimates of the length of certain scenes. Might we see a short 1-2 minute scene between Gandalf and Beorn that includes a short flashback to Dol Guldur? This would explain various elements.

If not, what about the 3rd film? From what we have seen and heard thus far, the Battle of Dol Guldur in BotFA will see Gandalf, Radagast(?), Galadriel and Elrond against Sauron. But might we actually see Beorn in this fight? I would think not, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

Let the speculation continue. What say you?

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 12 2014, 10:57pm

Post #2 of 7 (462 views)
Shortcut
I think it'll be the third film... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we'll see Beorn become imprisoned in Dol Guldur in the third film. But it could go either two ways....

1) Beorn and Radagast stage a plan to rescue Gandalf. They manage to escape, Beorn flees back into the woods. Gandalf and Radagast gather the White Counsel and stage

Or..

2) Beorn and Gandalf stage some form of an escape that fails, just at the darkest moment the White Counsel swoops in and saves the day.

I do think it may be more like for number 1 for a couple reasons:
a) it'd make no sense to cross cut between TWO major scenes (Laketown attack). So it'd make more sense to start the Dol Guldur subplot with a more suspenseful sequence i.e., some form of a break out.
b) I think it'd be odd to have the White Counsel just show up. Especially Elrond, and doubly so if he brings some of those fancy looking Rivendell soldiers. What may happen is we'll get a mini-counsel scene with Radagast, Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman, with them deciding on making a move to save Gandalf.

Long story short, Beorn will definitely be in Dol Guldur in film three, they need to re-introduce him to general audiences and it'd be a great way to give him a motive to go to battle later.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2014, 11:07pm

Post #3 of 7 (437 views)
Shortcut
I think the mention of torture [In reply to] Can't Post

Was of Beorn torturing a captured Orc at his house, if I remember correctly.

So the only thing suggesting a scene at Dol Guldur would be the Lego set, really.

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 12 2014, 11:29pm

Post #4 of 7 (452 views)
Shortcut
Flashback in the EE surely [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a couple of minutes in the extended 'House of Beorn' track that doesn't feature in the film, and must score a conversation between Gandalf and Beorn. It features the Footsteps of Doom motif as well as the Evil of the Ring/Sauron theme (IIRC), along with - perhaps most interestingly - the theme entitled 'The Nine'. So I'm thinking he'll tell of his time in captivity here, and what he saw there (presumably signs of the Necromancer and the Nazgul). I think a hint of the Nazgul would be especially useful as it would give more understanding to Gandalf's subsequent trip to the High Fells.

vexx801
Rivendell

Aug 13 2014, 2:40am

Post #5 of 7 (338 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm. I do remember that now. As for Dol Guldur, I suppose the music cue (as is mentioned in the post prior to mine) of The Nine on the soundtrack was part of what caught my attention. Further, since Beorn know that there is an alliance between the Necromancer and the orcs, and we know that he has been imprisoned there, along with the scene that we have a photo of, that seemed to imply that we may get something.

At the same time, even if we only get a few lines of dialogue between Gandalf and Beorn before they leave Beorn's Hall, that'd make sense. Just unsure if we'll see anything else. But yes I agree, the only really tangible thing we have so far is the Lego set, which isn't always much to go by. Thank you for your thoughts, Spriggan! :)

vexx801
Rivendell

Aug 13 2014, 2:48am

Post #6 of 7 (383 views)
Shortcut
Nazgul [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that would be great. I know there were a few folks who felt that the whole High Fells bit was underwhelming and misused; it would be nice to have something further in the second film tied to it all!

Rickster
Rohan

Aug 14 2014, 10:24pm

Post #7 of 7 (127 views)
Shortcut
yes.. I> think you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

IT will be option 2
The Bear man comes in and the White council has to save them all.
but the Bear man is wounded. A female Bear arrivés and lifts him up and carries him to safety

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.