Thrór's armor and sword!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 10 2014, 10:15pm

Post #26 of 41 (559 views)
Shortcut
I really am liking the armor [In reply to] Can't Post

The more I look at it and study it that is.

leonmuse
Rivendell

Aug 10 2014, 11:12pm

Post #27 of 41 (557 views)
Shortcut
Badassery [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin in these films is so cool that it kinda makes one wish he survived and had a role to play in the War of the Ring.

But sadly (and for variety's sake fortunately) he, as a character and as a King is the exact opposite of Aragorn:

Thorin: proud, short tempered, unkind, blind (or determined to be so) and victim of Sauron

Aragorn: humble, patient, friendly, fully aware of a real Enemy and triumphant over Sauron

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 11 2014, 1:45am

Post #28 of 41 (535 views)
Shortcut
I just can't believe...possibly spoilery! [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless... Unless! Peter Jackson uses the "gold being softer than steel" possibility to leave a weak spot in Thorin's "shining defense", thus being why and how he gets stabbed. Would be neat, wouldn't it?

IMO noooooooooo! Shocked It's one thing to go down fighting re Azog being like a foot taller and the "cheat" of being on a warg taller than you at the shoulder. It's another thing for dwarves - especially Thorin who knew enough to gauge how long gold would take to melt if the forges were fully fired - not to know how to forge a tough alloyed armor.

I'm thinking re my fuzzy book memories and RA alluding to a "suicidal charge" that it'll be kind of like the book - a last desperate act and the Erebor dwarves are just overwhelmed - they may not even BE in armour except chain maille as they figure they are not going to live, and re some books I read on armour soldiers would dump the stuff - a piece here, a piece there, because it's protective but hot and heavy and you can't fight as well. So I think they are just going to take the attitude of taking as many orcs as possible with them *sob*. "Will you follow me, one last time..."

It will be epic and horrible to watch.Frown

Esmeralda
Bree

Aug 11 2014, 3:03am

Post #29 of 41 (531 views)
Shortcut
Thror at Azinulbizar is bulkier than Thorin is now, so... [In reply to] Can't Post

…it makes sense to me that the Ereborian armory would contain multiple sets of armor made for Thror over his lifetime, and it's one of these that Thorin takes as his own.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 11 2014, 11:07am

Post #30 of 41 (503 views)
Shortcut
*moves over* Snacks? I thought we'd be doomsday preppin'! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which includes the castingHeart. And while I love the fact that VM slept with his horse the way I love Mikael Persbrandt hanging out with wolves, and POSSIBLY VM was a better natural swordsman than many, at the end of the day I COULD - and always could - see another actor playing Aragorn. One who was grimmer looking. *Cough* one who had a "power voice*. I don't know who (it wouldn't have been Stuart Townsend either...)Unsure

Got to agree, casting is something PJ and crew has got down almost to a science. Not 100% but who can be that to everyone but themselves? Tho I am very impressed to read, somewhere, I think in one of the Chronicles which may be a total illusion since I had been saturated with the Pretty!Angelic, that PJ's brief to casting was simply get whoever fits the role best, regardless of experience, fame, or whatever.

I really like Strider in the movie, don't get me wrong. But well, there's a lot I expected of Aragorn, and despite umpteen EE viewings I'm still waiting for Aragorn, Isildur's Heir, Elessar the Elfstone to make proper appearances rather than flash-by once in a while. After so long, I don't think I'm wrong in my consistent but admittedly very personal feelings about the movie!Aragorn. The closest I can get for an equivalent of movie!Aragorn vs book!Aragorn is Quintesson. No, wait, hear me out. The book!Aragorn clearly has many identities. Tolkien writes distinctly the changes in his carriage and even his charisma from situation to situation. So movie!Aragorn is like a Quintesson who somehow talks mostly with that one face regardless of the situation. It's a great face, but hey, the other faces don't get much exercise - maybe a cog is loose or a gear needs some oiling - and that's not the complete quintesson experience. Evil

*ahem* So off the bat I can name two actors I think would rock more than one aspect of the Aragorn character, not only from ruggedly scruffy beardedness, to physicality to refined kingly bearing, but in their talented ability and versatility as well... but they're already gainfully employed and otherwise engaged and it's a reality I can certainly live with Tongue

What'dya mean "misguided"? What you term "Thorin Thralldom" is simply a mentally and physically healthful acceptance, and embracing of, an exquisite reality of existence that has been gifted to the world by the brilliant combined talents of many, not the least an utterly amazing actor who just happens to have a voice of a god and evidently a penchant for fine winesCool. *Cough* as well as Caribbean-summer blue eyes and luminous skin and a smile that makes you swear to be a better person, if you could just see that once more *ahem*.Blush

*snertle* Well do I get it, and there you prove it, doubly. *points at second part of Avandel's sig as supporting Cool *

IMO the Dwarf and the Elf already haveHeartHeartHeart (MOVE OVER in this shelter, I need to stack up the cat food and hook up the 65" TV!!!!). 'Coz Thorin-enthralled I may be, but between the DOS T & T scene and Thranduil's orc scene and what I think of as the "ice" imagesHeartHeartHeart and now this gold armour picture and just hearing the kings' voices in my mind - hmm, how much does a 72 inch TV w. those gold-tipped cables and 3-D cost? And I need a spare super-speed replay remote too. Tongue

Oh for sure, IMO, visually they are killing it HeartHeartHeart and continue to kill it left and right, in my not so humble opinion. I was just being polite about their no doubt killer-swag in BotFA, specifically in BATTLE which we have not properly seen, as I personally dislike absolute finalities in fan pronouncements which is so prevalent these days.

Wow! 65"! Well, I've been drooling over the 4K models since our aging 47" is starting to hint at retirement but boy are they Ex.ORBIT.ANT!!! I cannot afford
full-retail and I refuse to pay installments on instantenously depreciating purchases so we'll just have to languish and hope the old fogey holds out.

You know how I respect your equal-opportunism and your Thranduil appreciation so no more need be saidCool Now I add to that your showing yourself in this little shelter like this.

*goes back to reinforcing shelter*

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Vila
The Shire

Aug 11 2014, 2:12pm

Post #31 of 41 (485 views)
Shortcut
It's from the cover of the Visual Companion [In reply to] Can't Post

The picture of Thorin with his golden armour it's from El Anillo Único, it's the the cover of the The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Visual Companion by Jude Fisher. The book it's available for pre-order in Amazon.es

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 11 2014, 6:08pm

Post #32 of 41 (467 views)
Shortcut
Gold-plated armor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Unless... Unless! Peter Jackson uses the "gold being softer than steel" possibility to leave a weak spot in Thorin's "shining defense", thus being why and how he gets stabbed. Would be neat, wouldn't it?

I would think that Thorin's armor would be gold-plated rather than solid gold--although the Dwarves might have a method of producing a gold alloy that would be as strong as steel.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 2:15am

Post #33 of 41 (438 views)
Shortcut
I believe Tony Stark holds the patent [In reply to] Can't Post

on that particular alloy.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2014, 8:04am

Post #34 of 41 (429 views)
Shortcut
And now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm envisioning Thorin meeting Tony Stark. Throw in Thranduil and his elven armor, and it would be a snarkfest for the ages. The Snark vs. The Glare vs. The Sass. Laugh

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 9:04am

Post #35 of 41 (416 views)
Shortcut
I'd buy the tix to that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm envisioning Thorin meeting Tony Stark. Throw in Thranduil and his elven armor, and it would be a snarkfest for the ages. The Snark vs. The Glare vs. The Sass. Laugh

And of course Thranduil takes it all since with the one scene he showed he has all three under that beautiful partial sheath of his.Heart

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 12 2014, 11:34pm

Post #36 of 41 (395 views)
Shortcut
All will BURN from the #MAJESTY [In reply to] Can't Post

And of course Thranduil takes it all since with the one scene he showed he has all three under that beautiful partial sheath of his.Heart

No. One millisecond of snark and seconds later there's just papery charred bits followed by a few clinks of falling melted metal.
Not even sure why there's going to be a third film, really. Wink

*snigger*

(This post was edited by Avandel on Aug 12 2014, 11:36pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 12:07pm

Post #37 of 41 (370 views)
Shortcut
So Thorin is a dragon hybrid spawn then huh? Explains a lot // [In reply to] Can't Post

Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn(new, posted 10 August), Four

=======

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 13 2014, 6:08pm

Post #38 of 41 (361 views)
Shortcut
Intriguing idea - dragon blood [In reply to] Can't Post

tho I personally have a suspicion that there's some ELVEN blood roaming through the House of Durin - not sure how it got there, but w. the dwarves roaming all over and their love of ale, who knows where some of them end up. Even if they don't remember much in the morning. Wink

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 14 2014, 12:45pm

Post #39 of 41 (343 views)
Shortcut
LOL Well, whoever it is in his pedigree, [In reply to] Can't Post

he definitely got da Voice. Frankly, *dare I say it* he's quite the opposite of Aragorn imo. As I said in the hideout shelter, in reference to the books, I didn't get all the Aragorn I was expecting. But with Thorin, I got far more than I imagined. There, now I've dug myself in for sure.

Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn (new, posted 10 August), Four

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 14 2014, 12:46pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 14 2014, 4:28pm

Post #40 of 41 (337 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna burn with yah [In reply to] Can't Post

he definitely got da Voice. Frankly, *dare I say it* he's quite the opposite of Aragorn imo. As I said in the hideout shelter, in reference to the books, I didn't get all the Aragorn I was expecting. But with Thorin, I got far more than I imagined. There, now I've dug myself in for sure.

"in reference to the books, I didn't get all the Aragorn I was expecting.... But with Thorin, I got far more than I imagined."

Thank you for thisHeartHeartHeart, it sums up what I've thought and felt for a while, tho I'm more long-winded about it. But that's what I mean in that I could imagine someone else playing Aragorn - just not sure who - and that's been true ever since I first saw LOTR, long before there was the Hobbit movies. Definitely would take VM way over ST tho, as I tripped over some images of Stuart Townsend and at least in those pictures he just looks SO young. Soft eyes. Just no. Aragorn was supposed to have the weathering of one who had spent years in the wild and gone through many dangers, alone.

RA's Thorin - well, yeah. I've waxed on about the multi-dimensional performance, the heart-stopping voice, and the Celtic-legend-god-warrior-beyond stunning look often enough *grins* and how often I think the camera loves this Thorin.HeartHeartHeart You can keep your garden gnome dwarvesWink

But will add MF's Bilbo was far more than I was expecting too. And frankly so is LP's Thranduil, that a "true" Elven King would come to life *jawdropping*HeartHeartHeart

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 15 2014, 9:34am

Post #41 of 41 (324 views)
Shortcut
If it is to end in fire [In reply to] Can't Post

we may burn at different speeds, so I just want to say: it's been an absolute pleasure.

But will add MF's Bilbo was far more than I was expecting too. And frankly so is LP's Thranduil, that a "true" Elven King would come to life *jawdropping*HeartHeartHeart

This goes without saying. MF's Bilbo is just GREAT! But the Elvenking! I've said it in one of the TA threads before: NOT in my wildest imagination did I think a live-action Thranduil could ever work in all aspects: looks, ability, voice, carriage, believability. But LP's Thranduil... woah, we even get the clincher bonus of HEIGHT!!! I'm deliriously happy to be smacked silly and proven wrongHeartHeartHeart

*ahem* Leave a wall for my kitty supplies will'ya ... they're being delivered as we speak Tongue

Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback by Kerewyn (new, posted 10 August), Four

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.