The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit DOS SEE: DVD design!

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 8 2014, 12:31pm

Post #1 of 23 (1805 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit DOS SEE: DVD design! Can't Post

So far, no DVD version of The Hobbit DOS SEE DVD has been listed on Amazon.com. However, there is an artwork on the French version of Amazon, even though it is still preliminary.
The French DVD has the same design as the US and German DVD set.

The UK DVD set will look different. Like the Spanish and the Australian set, it will be more similar to the LOTR SEE DVD boxes:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 8 2014, 12:47pm

Post #2 of 23 (955 views)
Shortcut
Cool! Thanks for posting [In reply to] Can't Post

I had been anxious to see what the DVD cover was going to be when they released the Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3d, so I started thinking.

When I saw that picture hinted at in the press release (much like the second image in your post), I predicted it would be the poster of Bilbo in all of the gold with Smaug's eye behind him. Turns out I was right.

This poster has grown on me. At first I didn't like it because Smaug's eye is ridiculously big, but now I like to look at it as two separate images collided together. One is Bilbo in the treasury, and one is Smaug's eye glaring right at you. I think that's how it was intended to be seen.

Thanks so much for posting TheHutt!

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Aug 8 2014, 12:50pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 1:36pm

Post #3 of 23 (956 views)
Shortcut
Excellent for the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

Will match my AUJ DVD – hope it contains innards in the same style. Can one hope for more leaves in the fold-out, in style with the FotR DVDs?

Many thanks for posting this.

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 8 2014, 1:43pm

Post #4 of 23 (931 views)
Shortcut
As for more leaves... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I doubt it, or it will not fit together with the width of AUJ.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 1:45pm

Post #5 of 23 (921 views)
Shortcut
I really like the designs for this films EE [In reply to] Can't Post

but as a whole I really wish they had just gone with the matching designs that the LOTR ones had.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 1:50pm

Post #6 of 23 (896 views)
Shortcut
HUTT! That izzz SUPER-DUPER! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Green/Black look of the inside of Erebor
IZZZ Uber-wonderful...

Would you say the columns inside
the Halls are
polished marble or granite?

Bomby doesn't know?

Crazy

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 2:20pm

Post #7 of 23 (872 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't really mind that [In reply to] Can't Post

Would prefer to have more leaves…

In Reply To
...I doubt it, or it will not fit together with the width of AUJ.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 8 2014, 2:23pm

Post #8 of 23 (884 views)
Shortcut
I saw this on pinterest! [In reply to] Can't Post

You beat me to it.Wink

DjU
Lorien

Aug 8 2014, 3:09pm

Post #9 of 23 (917 views)
Shortcut
Now that we have all the covers [In reply to] Can't Post

Now we have seen at least one example of the covers we can compare them to the corresponding AUJ:EE cover.

(This post was edited by DjU on Aug 8 2014, 3:09pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 8 2014, 3:12pm

Post #10 of 23 (842 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good comparisons! The colors look good next to each other. I think I like each DoS cover over the AUJ ones.

Our destiny lies above us.

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 3:39pm

Post #11 of 23 (815 views)
Shortcut
Works pretty well. [In reply to] Can't Post

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Aug 8 2014, 8:15pm

Post #12 of 23 (708 views)
Shortcut
The international blu-rays [In reply to] Can't Post

Are pretty great, matching with the origin LOTR, but the American Blu-Rays, which I own the AUJ EE, are pretty snappy as well.

I don't think Target will have an exclusive cover like they did for the theatrical DoS? Did they have store exclusive covers for AUJ EE? I can't remember...

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Dwarewien
Rohan

Aug 8 2014, 11:49pm

Post #13 of 23 (631 views)
Shortcut
I'll pass... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I like the Blu-ray covers better (as well as the DVD cover for the Extended Edition of AUJ), which means it's time to upgrade (especially before my current TV dies, since I may have a newer, older one, but it's still about 20 years old, but hardly used). I was looking around the mall today, and some 3D Blu-ray players were marked down in price from $139.99 to $99.97 in Sears and from $139.99 to $119.99 in Target. I kind of liked the look of the Panasonic one in Sears, so I'll have to put that one on my maybe list. Now, I just have to decide what size 3D HDTV to buy (since 60" inch is a little too big).

Even though they say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, I often replace the book if it gets a new cover (especially after there's a movie made of said book), and I would like to own at least one collectible gift set (I never seem able to afford them).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 8 2014, 11:53pm

Post #14 of 23 (634 views)
Shortcut
I'll be purchasing the second DOS version [In reply to] Can't Post

Becasue it will go with my AUJ one.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 9 2014, 12:08am

Post #15 of 23 (624 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to purchase that AUJ EE with the acorn motif. And then of course the DOS EE with the Arkenstone motif. Thank goodness *someone* came up with this lovely idea. I'm not a fan of the rest of the covers. They seem too wannabe eye-catching for my personal taste Pirate

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Aug 9 2014, 10:39am

Post #16 of 23 (573 views)
Shortcut
Did someone see this special edition of the DOS EE before? [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks great but I think the Erebor guards from the special edition of the theatrical cut would have been better with this green Erebor design. And I was hoping for a Smaug with Bilbo statue... but it's fine.

EDIT: Just found the topic and discussion in the Gaming/Collecting Forum. But for all of you who only look up this forum... here's the special edition of the DOS EE:

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Aug 9 2014, 10:42am)

adt100
Rohan

Aug 11 2014, 9:57am

Post #17 of 23 (450 views)
Shortcut
I hope it retains the theme of all previous EE DVD'S! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have nothing against the designs of the EE's, per se, but they really should be in the same theme as all the previous LOTR EE designs. It makes no sense otherwise.

I really really REALLY dislike Warner Bros. marketing for their dvd's and blu ray in general. Similarly with the Harry Potter DVD's, there is no consistency between the outer packaging or menu design, it's infuriating. When New Line/WIngnut/Entertainment in Video did the LOTR EE's they were pretty much perfect in every way. It seemed straightforward that a huge studio like WB would jump at the chance to follow this framework of these in exactly the same way as they were a winning combination. But no, they have to try put their mark on it and we are left with confused releases, inconsistent packaging and menus and just a product that blends in with the rest of the Blu-Rays on the shelf these days. Shame

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 11 2014, 6:03pm

Post #18 of 23 (439 views)
Shortcut
Better Quality Design: [In reply to] Can't Post

Better Quality Design:

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 11 2014, 11:44pm

Post #19 of 23 (414 views)
Shortcut
Apart from these [In reply to] Can't Post

There are also the steelbook covers (at least in the UK). Apart from the 'acorn' EE DVD for AUJ, I have the AUJ EE steelbook, but don't yet know what the DoS one will feature; hopefully it will be Smaug/Bilbo or Smaug/Thorin – don't actually mind which. SmileWink

adt100
Rohan

Aug 12 2014, 8:49am

Post #20 of 23 (397 views)
Shortcut
Hurrah! (but it shows how fragmented and poor WB handling of their marketing is) [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarewien
Rohan

Aug 12 2014, 10:29pm

Post #21 of 23 (384 views)
Shortcut
I have some disheartening news... [In reply to] Can't Post

for those of you wanting to purchase the DVD edition of the Extended Edition to DoS:

I just got a hold someone high up in the Warner Brothers food change about the DVD.

It WILL be a Wal-Mart exclusive on November 4th.

However, they will release the Extended Edition everywhere else in the Spring 2015. So if you want it right away, looks like Wal-Mart is the place to go.

This is from a poster on Blu-ray.com that asked about the US DVD. As for me, this means it's time for me to upgrade to Blu-ray (regardless of how much it will actually cost, because price is no object), since I really want to pre-order the 3D collectible gift set (if there's a "figurine" of Thorin in it, that's good enough for me). Although I have an Amazon account, I don't have a credit card, so I may have to pre-order the gift set on eBay (or buy it in Walmart, since I know they carry the gift sets. I saw one for the theatrical version of DoS, but since I already pre-ordered the single 3D Blu-ray/DVD combo pack, I didn't bother buying it over again). Let's just see how well Thorin looks on Blu-ray (since I'd also like to purchase Into the Storm on Blu-ray, though it's kind of a bummer it's not in 3D, since that would look awesome).

I bought my first DVD player just prior to the release of The Two Towers on VHS and DVD (I even had to fish out the receipt for the VHS copy so I could return it, since I also bought the theatrical version of The Two Towers on DVD), so it seems fitting that I buy my first Blu-ray player (that will have to be a 3D one) just prior to the release of the Extended Edition to DoS (which is also the second in a movie trilogy).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2014, 10:37pm

Post #22 of 23 (367 views)
Shortcut
No way that's true. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got a hold someone high up in the Warner Brothers food change about the DVD.

It WILL be a Wal-Mart exclusive on November 4th.

However, they will release the Extended Edition everywhere else in the Spring 2015. So if you want it right away, looks like Wal-Mart is the place to go.

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 14 2014, 6:08am

Post #23 of 23 (361 views)
Shortcut
You can use a debit card [In reply to] Can't Post

in place of a credit card on Amazon, or for purchasing nearly anything online Smile Or you could use Paypal- just have Paypal load funds from your bank account or debit card, then use paypal for a more secure way of purchasing/pre-ordering online on the actual website.

My husband and I have been without credit cards for almost a year now, and it's been great Smile But yeah- 99% of places can use debit cards and just run them as credit cards, as long as they have a VISA or Mastercard logo on them Smile Including online retailers.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.