What's a fan edit? 7 / 17%
42 total votes

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Aug 8 2014, 3:09am

Post #1 of 23 (585 views)
Shortcut
Are fan edits disrespectful? Can't Post

A thread a few weeks ago made made me wonder - are fan edits disrespectful to the film makers? In my opinion, I think FE's are an art form in their own. Some would say it is rude to those who made the film. I just consider it another spin on someone else's story. Thoughts?

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 3:37am

Post #2 of 23 (423 views)
Shortcut
IMO, a fan edit is no different from fast forwarding [In reply to] Can't Post

past a scene you don't like. Who hasn't done that?

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 4:26am

Post #3 of 23 (418 views)
Shortcut
completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

the only time when it is disrespectful, IMHO, is when it is sold or otherwise distributed illegally.

But yeah- Meneldor is right. It's no different than fast forwarding through scenes one either doesn't like, or isn't in the mood for on a particular day (for instance, if my talents were to lie in editing, I would probably omit all Gollum scenes from LOTR for "short marathon" days, because though he's extremely well done, the character himself just annoys the crap out of me (I don't think I handle split personality disorder well)- however I would keep the long version too because occasionally I do like to watch through the whole thing). It's also nice to have the condensed version of my 6-7 hours, rather than 12, through fast forwarding because most days I don't have the time (or my small daughters interrupt me often) to make it through the full nearly 12 hours long movie marathon.

But no, it isn't disrespectful, I think, and some people have such talent for editing that, IMO, if they own the movie, and want to omit/rearrange things in order to better appreciate it (say, if people want to omit Azog because they're more purist, or want a version truer to Tolkien, etc) then why not?

Jackson has done some fantastic work visually, even if he deviates from the book at times. So what better way for a more purist sort of person to still enjoy the work and creativity and visual aesthetic of the movie to omit the parts they don't personally like? If Tauriel, or Azog, or the way they did white council/high fells, etc, bugs them and ruins the whole movie for them, why should others opinions deny them the chance to actually enjoy it with their edits?

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 8:50am

Post #4 of 23 (406 views)
Shortcut
No, unless... [In reply to] Can't Post

a) ... you sell it.

b) ... you use your edit to boast about your editing abilities and how superior they are to those who have edited the original movie.

You used way too much of someone else's work to be so proud about something like this or even to take money for it (not even mentioning that it is illegal)... especially since you only had to please yourself - not all the people with interest in a movie (producers, audience, etc.) when you actually are responsible.

Funnily, there are people out there who claim PJ has hurt some moral standards by changing Tolkien's works... but have no issue selling "their" versions of his (lawfully made) movies.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 8 2014, 8:53am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 8 2014, 1:32pm

Post #5 of 23 (392 views)
Shortcut
Not inherently, no. [In reply to] Can't Post

A fan edit can be seen as an intellectual exercise, discovering if a more concise edit can work better than the original.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 8 2014, 1:57pm

Post #6 of 23 (391 views)
Shortcut
It could also be used... [In reply to] Can't Post

as a training exercise.

Many students use existing work to refine particular skills. There's a myriad number of components to any artistic work and students can't be good at them all.

As a time saver, one might pick some existing piece and rework it while trying to develop one of those skills.

And, at the same time, one starts to examine and understand what makes 'good art'.

Arranir, I agree wholeheartedly with what you said.

Making a fan edit of a film is not disrespectful. That doesn't mean a fan *editor* of a film can't be disrespectful.

Disrespectful behavior and attitude is disrespectful. Doesn't matter what the situation or activity is.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 8 2014, 1:57pm)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 8 2014, 2:23pm

Post #7 of 23 (381 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fan edits are personal and are not intended to be distributed usually so in that case no.

Annael
Immortal

Aug 8 2014, 2:50pm

Post #8 of 23 (382 views)
Shortcut
no, in fact . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

film-makers who edit their films themselves might learn something that would improve their craft, were they to watch some fan-edited versions.

I say this as someone who edits people's writing AND as an author who has others edit her work. The editor's goal is making sure that the writer communicates exactly what she or he wants to communicate to the reader. And I find that most writers, especially the more experienced ones, understand and appreciate this. I am leery of people who think they don't need this help - especially film-makers!

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 8 2014, 3:03pm

Post #9 of 23 (384 views)
Shortcut
What Arannir said. [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I made an Eowyn-only fan edit which is usually continually looping on another nearby computer screen.

Of course it's strictly for my own personal viewing. I would never distribute it. Even for free. That would be wrong.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 3:57pm

Post #10 of 23 (372 views)
Shortcut
It's just another form of fan art in my eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

There's an exercise beginning writers often use to rewrite a favorite book or story in their own style as a way of learning how things fit together in a good novel/story. Fan edits seem very similar to me.

Sometimes when I'm making a costume recreation from a movie I have to make tweaks. Either because I can't find what I need or to better suit my body shape or my budget or because there are things that are actually in the movie costumes that "read" as a mistake in a fan costume. Sometimes I "fix" those things because they work better for me.

Fan writers routinely change the way a series ends or who the main character ends up with. They rewrite scenes to fit their own wishes. Or they expand the universe further to insert themselves or other characters they would like to see there.

People make fan edits for many reasons. Because something in the movie bothers them. Because the movies don't fit into their time budget. Or just because they want to see the movie in a different style. It's all the same to me as any other form of fan art.

Now, that said, these things can certainly be presented disrespectfully. But that doesn't make them inherently disrespectful, to my mind. We're all just playing in someone else's sandbox and hoping we don't step on any toes along the way.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2014, 12:28am

Post #11 of 23 (345 views)
Shortcut
I seems to me that it's a only half an art form [In reply to] Can't Post

Taking something someone else has already created and making your "version" of it. It's like fanfics. People claim it's their writing and maybe it is to some extent but they haven't built the characters or created the world. It's like coloring in coloring books vs drawing or painting.

That isn't to say it isn't fun or a good exercise in editing or writing, which it can be at times. But without only a few exceptions (that I could count on one hand), I've never known a fan edit or fanfic that could stand up to the original. The copycat storytellers I've read/watched were never able to get the same... vibe.. as the original; the thing that made the original so worthy of being copied.

But hey, if folks want to play, I say go ahead. Just don't toot your horn that you got it right and the original got it wrong. That, I feel, is disrespectful.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 10 2014, 3:57am

Post #12 of 23 (335 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

You have saved me from having to make the effort of writing a post! What you said is exactly how I feel.

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 10 2014, 5:17pm

Post #13 of 23 (325 views)
Shortcut
Depends on if you see editing as only half an art [In reply to] Can't Post

While I certainly agree with you that fan editors can't take the credit of making the entire movie, neither can the editors of the actual film.

I took an editing class in college. There were about 15 of us in the class and we each were given the exact same footage and told to make a short film based on it. While the basic story was the same, the editing styles, what was emphasized, and the tone differed quite a lot.

I do believe that editing is an art unto itself. There are a lot of movies out there that could have been so much better if the editing had been improved. One of my film professors said that a movie is written three times: in pre-production (script), production (filming), and post-production (editing & special effects). I definitely believe this.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2014, 7:06pm

Post #14 of 23 (316 views)
Shortcut
Professional editors working as a team with a director, screen writer, cast and crew [In reply to] Can't Post

I see that collaboration as completely different from folks making Youtube videos of movies to make themselves happy. Professional editing is an art, something that is not easy and sometimes forgotten. Those folks are working with a team creating the original work, not mucking about after the fact.

A friend of mine who is a professional editor of printed material said fanfics are like playing in the sandbox. Who knows what great engineering marvels started with a five year old making castles? It's fun, it starts creativity flowing maybe. But at some point, the true artists stop playing with someone else's creations and start making their own. Can some movies be made better by a bit of editing? I don't know. What is "better" and who's opinion do we ask for? The crowd? The critics? The director? The folks who vote on the Oscars? "Better" is subjective, at least to me.

Like I said, fan edits can be fun and educational but, getting back to what I think was the driver for the original post, anything beyond having fun or trying to learn something about the writing/filming process smacks of just a bit too much taking of another's work and having too much love for one's own opinion for my taste. It's just my opinion, but fan "editors" who think they know better have little to do with the professionals who actually do.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 11 2014, 1:00am

Post #15 of 23 (305 views)
Shortcut
For some reason this reminded me of Thomas Jefferson [In reply to] Can't Post

who made an edited version of the Gospels for his own use. Of course now it's available to the public.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 11 2014, 4:50am

Post #16 of 23 (298 views)
Shortcut
I saw a documentary [In reply to] Can't Post

on the restoration of Jefferson's original. It was really interesting-- i'd recommend it.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 11 2014, 8:50pm

Post #17 of 23 (280 views)
Shortcut
I suppose they could be [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen some people post on TORn about their "edit," and how convinced they are that their edited version is so much better - yeah, that sounds somewhat disrespectful to me. And I think it is different from simply fast-forwarding through a "boring" scene. It takes quite a bit of time to make a copy & clip out the scenes, and it's certainly nothing I can do. I don't think you can call it a "labor of love," either - unless you're talking about those YouTube videos where scenes are set to your favorite song - I WISH I could do that!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 11 2014, 8:56pm

Post #18 of 23 (277 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

"A friend of mine who is a professional editor of printed material said fanfics are like playing in the sandbox. Who knows what great engineering marvels started with a five year old making castles? It's fun, it starts creativity flowing maybe. But at some point, the true artists stop playing with someone else's creations and start making their own."

I'm actually NOT writing a Hobbit fanfic - I'm working on a story that's heavily inspired by PJ's movies, but hopefully more of a salute than a rip-off.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 12 2014, 6:30am

Post #19 of 23 (261 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, sounds fascinating! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2014, 1:40am

Post #20 of 23 (249 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular [In reply to] Can't Post

It was just a general statement about fanfics.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 13 2014, 5:13am

Post #21 of 23 (244 views)
Shortcut
I think it's good to write fanfiction becuase at least people are using their time being creative and practicing their writing. [In reply to] Can't Post

But obviously if you want to move beyond a hobby you should try writing your own.

joec_34
Rivendell

Aug 13 2014, 4:03pm

Post #22 of 23 (228 views)
Shortcut
sometimes <eom> [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2014, 5:11pm

Post #23 of 23 (246 views)
Shortcut
No, not at all. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.