Empire visits "The Hobbit" sound department

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 7:14pm

Post #1 of 17 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Empire visits "The Hobbit" sound department Can't Post

Enjoy.

And the article says more behind-the-scenes-looks are to follow.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 7 2014, 7:27pm

Post #2 of 17 (534 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this - it's a good read. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 7:36pm

Post #3 of 17 (535 views)
Shortcut
That was neat. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Cool

Gandy
Bree

Aug 7 2014, 8:43pm

Post #4 of 17 (516 views)
Shortcut
synth [In reply to] Can't Post

Sadly ironic quote regarding PJ's approach in there:

There are some big no-nos in the aural landscape of Middle-earth. The one thing to rule them all? Nothing synthetic. “Peter is pretty sensitive to things that sound sci-fi,” says Farmer. “Synth-based stuff doesn’t fly in Middle-earth. It’s a very gritty world.”

If only he took that approach with the visual side of things. "Grit" is nowhere in this trilogy. The visual equivalent of "synth", rather.

So we got no synth audio, all synth visual. Crazy

Thanks for the link. I wish there were long, in-depth videos of Shore at work with the orchestra, and his quiet moments composing, pencil in hand. I would pay big money for a documentary just on that aspect of it. For both trilogies. Just to see where he writes, practice sessions, sound testing, from zero notes to the amazing "Gandalf the White" theme.. that process for each of the thousand themes. There's not enough Shore footage :(

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 8:46pm

Post #5 of 17 (485 views)
Shortcut
The WORD "AWEsome has lost ALL of itzz AweSOME-NESS?" [In reply to] Can't Post

ISn't There ANOTHER word
to describe
THAT
WE we jus'
Absorbed
into our
Collective
TOL-KEEEN
Conscience- NESSzzz?

Bomby offers the WORD..

"OVERWHELMED"..?

.that
MAY-IT-BE
work?

SENT over the Internet
today
from
That semi-sorta-DEAF Dude
in Goldberryzz WOODzz...

Crazy

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 9:17pm

Post #6 of 17 (478 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sadly ironic quote regarding PJ's approach in there:

There are some big no-nos in the aural landscape of Middle-earth. The one thing to rule them all? Nothing synthetic. “Peter is pretty sensitive to things that sound sci-fi,” says Farmer. “Synth-based stuff doesn’t fly in Middle-earth. It’s a very gritty world.”

If only he took that approach with the visual side of things. "Grit" is nowhere in this trilogy. The visual equivalent of "synth", rather.

So we got no synth audio, all synth visual. Crazy

Thanks for the link. I wish there were long, in-depth videos of Shore at work with the orchestra, and his quiet moments composing, pencil in hand. I would pay big money for a documentary just on that aspect of it. For both trilogies. Just to see where he writes, practice sessions, sound testing, from zero notes to the amazing "Gandalf the White" theme.. that process for each of the thousand themes. There's not enough Shore footage :(

Watching Shore's process would be a dream. Luckily we'll be hearing him and Doug Adams discussing the score to DOS in the EE appendices.

As for visuals and audio, I wouldn't say so. The visuals are a composite of real and digital. And digital graphics are often compromised of real textures, just like the audio is built from real recordings.

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 9:27pm

Post #7 of 17 (467 views)
Shortcut
While I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

While I agree that the visuals have left some to be desired, I can definitely reconcile that with the understanding that this production has been marred with a lot of last-minuteness. There are flaws, many of which are subjective to each individual. I personally would have preferred miniatures and prosthetics. While PJ says this was a creative choice, I honestly am convinced that the switch to use so much CGI came out of necessity to accommodate the weight of the shooting schedule and the necessity to tweak a lot in post.

With all that said, I am definitely happy with the way the story has been handled much of it is great. There are bits I don't like, i.e. the over the top action, the unnecessary Morgul arrow, but overall this is about as good of an interpretation of the Hobbit as could be hoped for. There's a lot of expansion that's been done that's improved the story in cinematic sense.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 10:11pm

Post #8 of 17 (461 views)
Shortcut
Listening to the commentary [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
While I agree that the visuals have left some to be desired, I can definitely reconcile that with the understanding that this production has been marred with a lot of last-minuteness. There are flaws, many of which are subjective to each individual. I personally would have preferred miniatures and prosthetics. While PJ says this was a creative choice, I honestly am convinced that the switch to use so much CGI came out of necessity to accommodate the weight of the shooting schedule and the necessity to tweak a lot in post.

With all that said, I am definitely happy with the way the story has been handled much of it is great. There are bits I don't like, i.e. the over the top action, the unnecessary Morgul arrow, but overall this is about as good of an interpretation of the Hobbit as could be hoped for. There's a lot of expansion that's been done that's improved the story in cinematic sense.

I was sad to hear PJ or PB mention that they had weta start building miniatures, but they decided to go for digital once they'd built half of Rivendell. PB even said it was a shame miniatures weren't used! If you watch TOTN Tuesday you'll probably wish Jim Rygiel and New Line (as the sole studio worked on these films.

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 10:19pm

Post #9 of 17 (446 views)
Shortcut
Yeah the miniatures are the biggest shame. [In reply to] Can't Post

They added a sense of realism. While I admire what Weta Digital have done, Laketown still has a unnatural sheen to it. The CGI riverbanks in the barrel sequence are atrocious compared to the miniature forests of Fangorn and Skull Island. PJ has become obsessed with that Tintin technology that has proven to be a curse more than a blessing. It's given him the ability to just add whatever he wants whenever he wants, even if it means rushing VFX shots. I miss the days when he was restrained by the practical tech. Instead we end up with half realized SFX like the Bombur barrel gag, which while funny, looks like a PS4 cut scene.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 10:46pm

Post #10 of 17 (430 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't the fact that they didn't use miniatures in The Hobbit something to do with with the way these films are being filmed (with 3D?), as compared with LotR, rather than any 'creative' choice?

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 10:52pm

Post #11 of 17 (421 views)
Shortcut
That was mentioned in an interview [In reply to] Can't Post

But the interview went on, PJ said he wanted the freedom "to move his camera through a keyhole if he wanted to." Which the Tintin technology allows, thus why miniatures were dropped. Miniatures are also difficult in that they start shooting them very early on, and you're kinda locked into the shots you originally boarded. It's a toss up. I personally think the restraint and aesthetic value (they capture light better than any digital model can) of miniatures highly outweighs the ability to record a shot a month before the release date. The freedom to do anything isn't always a good thing.

EDIT: With that said, I do think the CGI models of the Woodland Realm and Erebor look fantastic. I think where CGI environments fail massively is in organic sets, like Mirkwood and the Barrel Sequence. The technology hasn't arrived at the point in which is can fully render a realistic forest full of foliage and texture. The shots in the Hobbit look good, and don't ruin the experience for me (not of the CGI could affect my enjoyment of the films), but a mix of miniatures and CGI would have gone much further in selling the locations and the world. It just put too much strain on the digital artists this go around.

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Aug 7 2014, 10:55pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 7 2014, 11:17pm

Post #12 of 17 (426 views)
Shortcut
I love the visuals [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like this is how things would look if you were magically sucked into the novel (and I mean literally "sucked in") and simultaneously transformed into an invisible bystander who follows the company as the story plays out.

Whimsical . . . Fantastical . . . Otherworldly . . . Even "cartoonish" (but in an appropriate wayCrazy) . . .

Sure, the use of CGI is somewhat excessive and some things could have used a little more polish.

But I think the overall aesthetic has endearing qualities that can be worthy of admiration.

It's fine if you don't see it that way.

I'm just glad that it all works for me.Smile

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Aug 7 2014, 11:26pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 7 2014, 11:21pm

Post #13 of 17 (414 views)
Shortcut
Miniatures are so late 90's and early 00's [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 11:29pm

Post #14 of 17 (409 views)
Shortcut
I see [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I would have liked to see some miniatures – particular favourites of mine in LotR were Minas Tirith, Helm's Deep and that mill in the Shire.

I agree that Erebor worked really well in AUJ, as did the Woodland Realm. I didn't much like Mirkwood, though, and thought it might have been best if they could have used some weird and wonderful woodland in New Zealand, with perhaps the odd addition of CGI thrown in. In general, I'm disappointed in the lack of use of New Zealand's glorious scenery in The Hobbit. In LotR, New Zealand WAS Middle-Earth, and was even promoted as such – I see little sign of this in The Hobbit.

In Reply To
But the interview went on, PJ said he wanted the freedom "to move his camera through a keyhole if he wanted to." Which the Tintin technology allows, thus why miniatures were dropped. Miniatures are also difficult in that they start shooting them very early on, and you're kinda locked into the shots you originally boarded. It's a toss up. I personally think the restraint and aesthetic value (they capture light better than any digital model can) of miniatures highly outweighs the ability to record a shot a month before the release date. The freedom to do anything isn't always a good thing.

EDIT: With that said, I do think the CGI models of the Woodland Realm and Erebor look fantastic. I think where CGI environments fail massively is in organic sets, like Mirkwood and the Barrel Sequence. The technology hasn't arrived at the point in which is can fully render a realistic forest full of foliage and texture. The shots in the Hobbit look good, and don't ruin the experience for me (not of the CGI could affect my enjoyment of the films), but a mix of miniatures and CGI would have gone much further in selling the locations and the world. It just put too much strain on the digital artists this go around.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 1:35pm

Post #15 of 17 (282 views)
Shortcut
May it Be..that we hold off [In reply to] Can't Post

On any FINAL critique of DOS until we
get the FINAL version of
IT ...in November?

IT ...could be? that PJ izzzz still tweakin'
IT ...along w/ the BOT5A Theatrical Release.

Bomby
Believe thizz is SOooo...

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Aug 8 2014, 1:42pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 9 2014, 3:08am

Post #16 of 17 (230 views)
Shortcut
To be fair [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They added a sense of realism. While I admire what Weta Digital have done, Laketown still has a unnatural sheen to it. The CGI riverbanks in the barrel sequence are atrocious compared to the miniature forests of Fangorn and Skull Island. PJ has become obsessed with that Tintin technology that has proven to be a curse more than a blessing. It's given him the ability to just add whatever he wants whenever he wants, even if it means rushing VFX shots. I miss the days when he was restrained by the practical tech. Instead we end up with half realized SFX like the Bombur barrel gag, which while funny, looks like a PS4 cut scene.

If PJ didn't push the technology and use all that he had available to him, we wouldn't have got the brilliant LOTR films we did get.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 9 2014, 3:10am

Post #17 of 17 (233 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
On any FINAL critique of DOS until we
get the FINAL version of
IT ...in November?

IT ...could be? that PJ izzzz still tweakin'
IT ...along w/ the BOT5A Theatrical Release.

Bomby
Believe thizz is SOooo...

I think it's very unlikely we'll see PJ change much. He only said the dragon shots in AUJ EE to fit continuity wise with DOS.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.