The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Azog/Bolg swapped for the DOS EE

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 4:38pm

Post #1 of 6 (1199 views)
Shortcut
Azog/Bolg swapped for the DOS EE Can't Post

I had a thought rewatching Desolation the other day. Since PJ and Philippa have hinted/said that the Thrain storyline will be in the DoS EE do you think they'll put Azog back into Bolg's place chasing the dwarves? I noticed the shot from the trailer where Thrain jumped at Gandalf in Dol Guldur is still intact.

To be honest, the more I hought of this question more it seems like a rather a tall order, but as it stands Azog and Bolg are pretty interchangeable. They could easily just delete the scene with Bolg delivering the Necromancer's summons. I always thought it was weird that Azog announces Bolg in Dol Guldur, like it's his introduction even though we've already been introduced to him earlier.

Obviously the Legolas/fight seems like the one planned interaction that couldn't change, but maybe that was always going to happen?

I know it's been talked about before, speculating how the Azog/Bolg storyline has evolved, but with the DoS EE I wonder if it's a chance for PJ to reinstate his original vision now that they have time for the Thrain storyline?

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Aug 7 2014, 4:39pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 4:47pm

Post #2 of 6 (613 views)
Shortcut
That would be horrible. [In reply to] Can't Post

Imho you can adjust scenes for the EEs in order to make new scenes work (major change, for example, happened with the Shire introduction in FotR) - but changing the role of two characters? No... imho Azog is clearly established as the senior and more important Orc, with Sauron wanting him to lead his armies - not Bolg.

I agree that the development of the Azog & Bolg storyline seems to have been far from perfect - too many last minute changes. But now with AUJ and DoS released I think they have a storyline that might be muddled but at least has an inner logic.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 4:50pm

Post #3 of 6 (487 views)
Shortcut
What would be the advantage? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure I understand.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 4:51pm

Post #4 of 6 (477 views)
Shortcut
That's a good point [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog is there to lead the armies of the Necromancer. I had forgotten about that, but I guess this line of thinking just has me so curious about the EE, how Thrain meeting Gandalf in Dol Guldur will play out in the middle of all the Azog/Necromancer action.

Also the more I think about it, the more it seems Azog was placed in the Elven Gate scene more for recognizability in the trailers and probably because Bolg wasn't finished yet/wanted to wait to reveal him in the film. They just needed a badass killer in that shot.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Aug 7 2014, 4:52pm)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 5:19pm

Post #5 of 6 (445 views)
Shortcut
As it stands it wouldn't really [In reply to] Can't Post

but it just seems like maybe it wasn't their original intent to have the villians zigzag all over middle-earth like they are now. Good thing wargs are fuel-efficient!
Crazy

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Aug 7 2014, 5:19pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 5:45pm

Post #6 of 6 (428 views)
Shortcut
Ha I'm not even sure it cuts down on the mileage. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I suppose in fairness the only real zig zagging was Bolg acting as messanger to collect Azog from Beorn's. Azog has headed pretty much directly East throughout!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.