Did Gandalf ever use Narya?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wildespace
The Shire

Aug 20 2014, 10:13pm

Post #26 of 39 (2705 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

When Sauron put on the One Ring, the Wise were made aware of it, and hid the Three Rings and never used them again. So no, Gandal never used Narya. Rather, each of the Three Rings gave their keeper a certain power or ability:

Nenya, the Ring of Adamant, allowed Galadriel to preserve her realm in an unchanged state and maintain secrecy.

Vilya, the Ring of Air, probably gave Elrond enhanced powers to heal and to preserve wisdom and knowledge. This turned Rivendel into the ultimate refuge, where one could rest, heal, and seek knowledge and wisdom.

Narya, the Ring of Fire, allowed Gandalf to kindle hearts to action (for good) and to provide hope and comfort. I think it also made him a lot more empathic and friendly towards the denizens of Middle-Earth.

With the destruction of the One, those powers given by the Three were undone. Lothlorien became subject to change and decay, like the rest of the Middle-Earth. Rivendel ceased to be the place of rest, healing, and learning. And (in my perception) Gandalf became less empathic to the Middle-Earth inhabitants, shown for example by how he left the Hobbits to deal with the mess in the Shire by themselves.

http://www.facebook.com/BookOfLostTales
http://www.facebook.com/groups/jrrtolkiengroup

dreamflower
Lorien

Aug 20 2014, 10:42pm

Post #27 of 39 (2700 views)
Shortcut
Not quite [In reply to] Can't Post

The Three were put away and not used so long as Sauron HAD the One, but after he lost it, at least Vilya and Nenya were used: as you point out, Galadriel used hers to protect and preserve Lothlorien, and Elrond used his to protect Rivendell, and possibly to heal; so I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that Gandalf might have used Narya to "kindle hearts".

If Sauron had regained the One, they'd have put off the Three again. But even during the Quest when Sauron was actively seeking the One, Galadriel was actively using Nenya. Frodo saw her wearing it.

And I don't think Gandalf ever became "less empathetic" after the Quest. Empathy and compassion were the cornerstone of his character, even before he became an Istari. However, he knew his work was finished. He left the hobbits to take care of the Shire NOT because he did not care about them anymore, but because he knew it was necessary for their growth as a people to learn how to deal with their own problems.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2014, 11:55pm

Post #28 of 39 (2687 views)
Shortcut
I think that [In reply to] Can't Post

He could not use Narya to force hearts to go where they did not wish to go, but he could use it to show an alternative to those that maybe had become a bit set in their ways or scared of been adventures. Examples been Bilbo before the journey to Eriador, his curing of Theoden, or comforting those defending Minas Tirith from the terror of the Nazgul.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 21 2014, 12:35am

Post #29 of 39 (2689 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo saw Nenya on Galadriel's finger, so she was definitely wearing it in Lorien and using its power. She just couldn't do so while Sauron had the One.

At the end when the Elves rode to the Grey Havens, it says "Gandalf now wore openly upon his hand the Third Ring, Narya the Great." I think the "now" is important, implying he and the others wore their rings invisibly. Which fooled most people--Sam couldn't see Galadriel's ring on her hand, only Frodo.;

dreamflower
Lorien

Aug 21 2014, 2:07am

Post #30 of 39 (2675 views)
Shortcut
Very nicely said! [In reply to] Can't Post

He could not use Narya to force hearts to go where they did not wish to go

What a lovely way to express it! I certainly agree that he could not have used it on someone unwilling, or who was a coward at heart. But he could "kindle" what was already in someone's heart, reawaken a part of them that might have gone dormant.

dreamflower
Lorien

Aug 21 2014, 2:09am

Post #31 of 39 (2684 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

And Frodo was able to see the Ring of Adamant because he bore the One.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 21 2014, 12:12pm

Post #32 of 39 (2665 views)
Shortcut
the three and invisibility [In reply to] Can't Post

While I agree that that is one interpretation, another is that Gandalf now simply wore Narya on his finger openly... where before he might wear it when he knew no one could mark him -- that is, anyone who might guess a ring upon his finger meant 'one of the Three' in any case. I'm not sure how hidden wearing a ring had to be in front of most people in Middle-earth.

But this interpretation hinges upon another, as I don't think it's necessarily a given that Sam could not see a ring on Galadriel's finger -- rather than that he did not see [discern] the ring for what it was, nor would have recognized [understood] that it was one of the Three, even if he had 'seen' a ring and not the light of 'a star' between Galadriel's fingers.

Especially considering how the light of Nenya is described earlier in this scene.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Aug 21 2014, 12:16pm

Post #33 of 39 (2667 views)
Shortcut
another possibility in my opinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is that Frodo, as bearer of the One [which made his inner sight keener], was thus able to discern that the ring he saw on Galadriel's finger was certainly Nenya.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 21 2014, 2:58pm

Post #34 of 39 (2661 views)
Shortcut
In terms of protection... [In reply to] Can't Post

Narya might have aided Gandalf against the Balrog of Moria, protecting him from the creature's fires. It might have even helped him ward against the Balrog's passage on the bridge.

I would not be at all surprised if Narya also helped King Theoden overcome the influence of Saruman.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 21 2014, 3:00pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2014, 1:50pm

Post #35 of 39 (2656 views)
Shortcut
I don't relly get the feelign that Gandalf was cold... [In reply to] Can't Post

He himself stated that his task was done (Sauron was defeated, and he had fulfilled his task.), that he now would be leaving, and now the people of Middle-Earth would have to sort out their own problems. Everything Gandalf did, or most of it, was to oppose Sauron, so he was not meddling in internal affairs of other peoples unless it could be beneficial or detrimental to the war with Sauron.

Just my two cents...

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

elostirion74
Rohan

Aug 26 2014, 7:46pm

Post #36 of 39 (2686 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Protecting himself from weariness seems to be the only likely way that Gandalf could have used Narya. After all the power of the Elven Rings lay in preserving, healing, lessening the effect of the passing of time and the weariness of the world.

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Apr 8 2015, 8:20pm

Post #37 of 39 (2565 views)
Shortcut
Well........ [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf only got Narya a while before he left for Valinor, and I really don't think there would be any need to use it in Valinor so why would he have to? The Rings of Power were only to be used in times of great need and there was no such thing existing I assume after the Ring was destroyed.

~"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― Gandalf the Grey~

dreamflower
Lorien

Apr 9 2015, 12:47am

Post #38 of 39 (2560 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf recieved Narya [In reply to] Can't Post

...when he arrived in M-e. It was given to him by Cirdan, who had foresight that he would need it. He had it the whole time.
Cirdan said to him on his arrival at Mithlond:

Take now this Ring, for thy labours and thy cares will be heavy, but in all it will support thee and defend thee from weariness. For this is the Ring of Fire, and herewith, maybe, thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill.

Gandalf obviously was very subtle about it, but I do think there are clear hints that he may have used it judiciously, to "kindle courage" in the fight against Sauron.
I don't think he went around using it all the time. But he did have it!

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Apr 10 2015, 6:30pm

Post #39 of 39 (2538 views)
Shortcut
Oh thanks!// [In reply to] Can't Post

~"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― Gandalf the Grey~

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.