SCOD: Arwen and Aragorn Reunited

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Aug 6 2014, 7:48pm

Post #1 of 3 (1229 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Arwen and Aragorn Reunited Can't Post

Arwen and Aragorn Reunited

There is so much symbolism in this screencap.
Larger image can be found here

Firstly there are the light and dark colours in the scene. The elves are clad in light, pastel shades of clothing which could be taken to represent the starlight theme associated with the elves. Instead of the magical glow seen when Arwen arrived at Trollshaws, here they glow in a different way amongst mortals. The rest of the people at the coronation are wearing more in the way of colours and they actually look darker next to the elves.

Next let’s look at the composition. The people in the background are a mixture of old and younger people symbolic of the different generations and different times of Middle Earth. The older people in the frame, interestingly, are placed behind Aragorn and the younger women are behind both himself and Arwen, directly opposite the viewer. This could be taken to visually represent the idea that the past is behind them and the future now before them.

The elves are placed to the right of the frame. Note how there are just a few elves seen and in total there are more humans in the picture, which could perhaps be taken to represent the diminishment of the elves and the time for the ‘dominion of men’. Arwen is still amongst the elves at this point, but instead of diminishing with them she has chosen to be with Aragorn.

The use of the banner in the composition was good as this creates a division in the scene between the two races. The fact that Aragorn in the next moment takes the banner again visually symbolises the union between elves and men through his being reunited with Arwen.

I also thought this moment captured a scene in the book, FOTR, when Frodo first looks upon Arwen

So it was that Frodo saw her whom few mortals had yet seen; Arwen, daughter of Elrond, in whom it was said that the likeness of Luthien had come on earth again; and she was called Undomiel, for she was the Evenstar of her people.
~FOTR Many Meetings

Here at the coronation the banner hides Arwen from all the mortals until Aragorn takes it from her almost as though revealing her to the people.

Are there any other general observations you would like to add?

I like all the costumes and Arwen’s coronation gown is one of my favourites.
Do you have a favourite costume from this scene?

Do you have a favourite costume out of the ones worn by Arwen?

What do you think about the music for this moment?

I always thought it was lovely that despite all the people watching them, it seems to Aragorn and Arwen that they are the only two people there in that moment.

”You bow to no one.”

The other image that is really good and holds a lot of symbolism is this one.
Larger image can be found here

‘Even the smallest person can change the course of the future’ This moment, I believe really shows this statement. The new King of Gondor and all the people attending the coronation kneel to these four Hobbits from the Shire who, at the beginning of FOTR, were living ordinary lives. Now they have helped shaped the future in the world of men and consequently have protected their own home.

The composition of this image is really good. The hobbits are in the centre of the image surrounded by people of Rohan and Gondor. The fact that the shape of the wall creates a curve actually creates a ring shape which is reminiscent of the rings of power. In some ways it is possible to look at the second last line of the ring poem differently. The line reads ‘One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them’ In the darkest hours of the Third Age the people of Middle Earth were brought together to fight. In some ways the one ring did what it was destined to do, but not in the way that was expected.

The two statues in the picture resemble the Argonath and the moment in FOTR when the three boats pass through. In that moment the statues were so large and hiding what lay beyond them. In this image the fellowship have passed through and have seen beyond the statues and beyond the history. The statues here are small and less significant which could visually represent again the idea that they were a part of the history which is now in the past and the future is now what matters the most.

Are there any other observations you would like to discuss?

What do you think of the music for this moment?

Are there any other comments you would like to make about this scene?

A little fun bonus question now:

If you could have been at the coronation who would you like to have been?

By this I mean you can say a specific character or choose a more general answer such as one of the Gondorians in the crowd, an elf, one of the soldiers etc.

Feel free to answer any or all of the questions.
Have fun! Wink

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

(This post was edited by Silwen_Peredhil on Aug 6 2014, 7:50pm)

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 7:56pm

Post #2 of 3 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Excellent analysis, Silwen! I always love your posts! [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

Arwen and Aragorn Reunited

Are there any other general observations you would like to add?
I personally always admired the fact that she is different from the other elves around her as they are all wearing white (and gold) and she is in a very fine green with a gorgeous butterfly circlet.
It reminds me of these lines from the Tunuviel poem:

And light of stars was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering...

He longed by her to dance and sing
Upon the grass untroubling...

About him cast her shadowy hair
And arms like silver glimmering.

These three parts of the poem I think they wanted to combine (the very last quote I chose being the one the song in the film translates to). They made sure the "light of stars" were in her "shadowy hair" and I think they chose the green to symbolise Tinuviel's love to dance upon the grass, and they made sure she had some lovely white lacing to try and show that her dress glimmered like silver.

A lot of symbolism in this scene for sure!

I like all the costumes and Arwen’s coronation gown is one of my favourites.
Do you have a favourite costume from this scene?

I really love Eowyn's gown, because it is so golden. It is a shame you hardly see it in the film!

Do you have a favourite costume out of the ones worn by Arwen?
I really love her red dress - particularly because during the scene where she drops the book, the red reminds me of the shade of blood, and when her father says her hands are cold and "the light of the Eldar is leaving you", it makes her look more drained as the red is very strong and she is pale, and also it's like her blood has been spilt in her choice of mortality for Aragorn.

What do you think about the music for this moment?
Very symbolic. Aragorn sings this (in the Extended Edition) in the Fellowship, and I really liked after his song here they chose the small choir for Arwen. It made the moment magical when he walks towards her.

"You bow to no one."

Are there any other observations you would like to discuss?
I particularly like in this scene, the Hobbits wear opposite colours to those around them. In this screencap here you can see that Pippin wears cold colours and he is standing in front of people from Rohan, and Merry, wearing yellow, stands in front of those from Gondor. Really nice touch to make them stand out!

What do you think of the music for this moment?
What more can I say except that it is epic Shire music! Symbolises that, as Lady Galadriel said, and like you say, "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

Are there any other comments you would like to make about this scene?
I really like your idea:

The fact that the shape of the wall creates a curve actually creates a ring shape which is reminiscent of the rings of power. In some ways it is possible to look at the second last line of the ring poem differently. The line reads ‘One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them’ In the darkest hours of the Third Age the people of Middle Earth were brought together to fight. In some ways the One Ring did what it was destined to do, but not in the way that was expected.

Perhaps indeed, this was what the prophecy meant after all...
I think you practically summed up this whole scene. Smile

A little fun bonus question now:
If you could have been at the coronation who would you like to have been?

Without a doubt, I would have liked to have been standing beside beloved Faramir - so I would either have been Eowyn or a mere spectator close enough to be able to feel his cloak when he's not looking. Sly

Marvellous summarizing here - and excellent questions - Silwen, as always! I really enjoyed answering this! Wink

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

(This post was edited by FaramirAndEowynMorningStar on Aug 7 2014, 7:57pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 13 2014, 6:29pm

Post #3 of 3 (999 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched this scene so many times and never noticed so many things you've pointed out here!

The use of light and young/old..etc. I especially notice here how vibrant the colors of the people on the left are, from the world of Men, while the colors on the right where the Elves are, already look... faded.

And this:

In Reply To
The line reads ‘One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them’ In the darkest hours of the Third Age the people of Middle Earth were brought together to fight. In some ways the one ring did what it was destined to do, but not in the way that was expected

I never looked at it that way - it reminds me of how in the Silmarillion it is said that no matter how the 'music' was marred, Eru would rework it into something good and beautiful.

Also I never stopped to consider the appearance of the two statues here and their significance in the fellowship's journey to this moment.

Thank you for all the insights into this scene, Silwen_Peredhil!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.