Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
The Desolation of Smaug SEE Collector's Statue is... Not very nice.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 11:30am

Post #51 of 70 (2896 views)
Shortcut
Key of Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.filmink.com.au/notices/9576/

This discovered by Fleuz indicates that there may still be hope for an alternative... or that there had been two ideas until they decided to go with the Barrels. Crazy

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 8 2014, 11:30am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 11:59am

Post #52 of 70 (2887 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

With regard to the heads with torsos, it is the disembodied look that I find most unnerving (though I don't feel the same about, say, busts of classical Greek individuals). Ah well, each to his/her own.

Yes, art print would be the correct term for the 'posters'.

I'm not sure why on Earth I would be 'insulting' either the originators of film-related items or collectors by using terms that I find familiar (neither of these terms is actually grammatically incorrect). That seems like an odd way of looking at things…

In Reply To
I will also disagree with you on the busts that Weta has produced those item for item have an even better likeness than some of the statues. That's why I'm willing to spend hundreds of dollars to have many of these pieces. It's having my favorite characters from something I love be around to see them all the time. Ah well that's my two cents.

Thought so. Those are fantastic and I have those as well but we collectors don't call them posters. Those again are things you can easily buy at stores. These are called art prints. Again, if you mind of want to insult the artists and the collectors you can call them posters.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 12:11pm

Post #53 of 70 (2882 views)
Shortcut
Titles [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know. They don't bother me is all I can really say. The ones Weta did with LOTR remind me of those Classical Greek busts.

I understand that you find them familiar but I would venture to guess not being a collector is the reason why you don't understand. Figures have moveable joints. Some figures from say Sideshow Collectibles or Hot Toys have these and are really a step above the term. However, if you go into your local say Target (US store) and go to the toy isle you will find all kinds of figure or action figures. That's the connotation that goes with those words when you mention them to high-end collectors. Figurines are something you'd get at say a gas station on your road trip. So you have that as well. Like I said it may be odd to someone who is really a collector but to those of us who are it isn't. I'm not going to say lash at at you if you called them figures, but I would probably in conversation I would keep mentioning statues to try and drop hints.

Same thinking goes for art prints vs posters.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Aug 8 2014, 12:13pm)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Aug 8 2014, 1:12pm

Post #54 of 70 (2875 views)
Shortcut
Whilst I would agree with you on avoiding the term "figure" [In reply to] Can't Post

as that leads to the automatic association with "action figures," I would say there is nothing incorrect with referring to the Weta busts/sculptures as "figurines," which is commonly applied (particularly in the antiques trade) to small ornamental human figures made of pottery, metal, etc.

If you pick up figurines at the gas station I can only assume that the term has a different connotation in the States to the Europe!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Aug 8 2014, 1:14pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 1:30pm

Post #55 of 70 (2863 views)
Shortcut
You know [In reply to] Can't Post

In my experience even in archaeology, small objects depicting figures in bronze and so on are generally called figurines (or statuettes), not statues. Large ones can be called figures, e.g. a large bronze figure of a man carrying a trident, as can small ones come to think of it, e.g. a tiny silver figure of a woman with golden hair.

It could be that the term is somehow derogatory among collectors of film memorabilia (in the US?), for the reasons you mention. Or perhaps the word 'figure' is not used in the same way in the US as it is in the UK? The definition of the word in the Oxford English Dictionary is 'an artistic representation of a human or animal form'.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 1:40pm

Post #56 of 70 (2860 views)
Shortcut
I'm just sayin [In reply to] Can't Post

that I would say almost every collector I know is going to crinkle their nose a bit if you call their statue collection figures or figurines. I know collectors all over the world that are going to tell you the same thing. Maybe the nose crinkle will be less by some in certain parts of the world but this reaction isn't just a US thing.

I obviously don't know about outside the US but you can go to gas stations and pick up little tiny cheap looking figures that here are called figurines.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 1:44pm

Post #57 of 70 (2854 views)
Shortcut
A collectors angle [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand that within the other communities that terms may be used differently. My point is that within the collecting community what Weta makes are called statues. Like I said above its not just a US thing. Its a collectors thing. You are going to insult someone if you walk into their collection a bunch of figurines for for sure and most likely if you call them figures.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 8 2014, 2:25pm

Post #58 of 70 (2857 views)
Shortcut
Another vote for loving it [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't own any collectible sets but if I could afford it I definitely would buy it.

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Aug 8 2014, 2:49pm

Post #59 of 70 (2845 views)
Shortcut
Statues [In reply to] Can't Post

You obviously haven't collected any of Weta's new Hobbit merchandise. These are much improved likeness wise, Infact the old Sideshow Weta line wasn't as bad as people like to make out - I can think of only Aragorn and Legolas that didn't have the best likeness, and even then, the original Legolas reminded me more of the book character than the film.

Also, Weta do not do busts any more for their new line, but even a lot of those were really good. Gandalf the White is surely the best Ian McKellen likeness on any piece.

Also, I call them statues and not figures, and I'm born and bred in the UK.

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

(This post was edited by FrodoEyes on Aug 8 2014, 2:50pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 10:06pm

Post #60 of 70 (2833 views)
Shortcut
Don't have the statues/figures in hand, but for the $$$ am face-fussy. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's like having those characters step right out from the movie screen.

I'm sorry, but I am not seeing that w. the WETA statues/figures. And believe me, I want to. Because I know how good WETA can be, I have marveled at their sculpting work. And I don't have a statue/figure in hand to judge.
But:

Hot Toys DX Jack Sparrow figure, which I own. The likeness in miniature is uncanny:

Now, the HT figure is a different media. But:

In the face, to me, doesn't look like:

I'm not a sculptor, so I can't say exactly WHY. But with the WETA statue/figure I could say there is a resemblance, but - the eyes and brows are wrong, the jaw is too long, the face is wrong. The costume details on the WETA statue/figure are amazing (except for the blue paint on the vambraces). I love the pose. But I'm spoiled. I've also seen Sideshow turn out (not always) some amazing likenesses, but Hot Toys *seems to* beat everyone as far as being able to churn out an accurate likeness in miniature IMO.

And I am not trying to insult any artist as much as puzzled. Hot Toys, Sideshow, WETA, others - I don't know but it seems to be hugely difficult to turn out a good likeness in miniature - and I mean the more pricey work. But if I COULD sculpt, I wouldn't let a prototype out the door for production without a VERY accurate likeness.
Jerry Vanderstelt's DOS print is amazing IMO because while there is artist interpretation there, the likenesses are completely accurate, without looking like a photo (GENIUS!!!). Plus, is it truly an insult if a sculptor is supposed to be making a likeness, and THEY may think it's a good likeness, but perhaps better to step away for a bit and come back and evaluate the likeness? That's what prototyping is for? That looking "sort of like" could be done better?

And I hate it, because being a Thorin nut, I would have scraped pennies long ago for the statue/figure (thank you for the explanation, but to me a figure is smaller and a statue larger, no matter what the media but I will keep it in mind!) but this doesn't look like Thorin, and I want it to. To me it could be any grim-faced warrior. I think other of the WETA dwarf figures are successful - Dwalin comes to mind; but others face-wise less so like Kili.

So, for me, I'm still on the fence about the Thorin figure. Guess what I really want is for WETA/Sideshow/Hot Toys to do some 1:6 scale of Thorin w. an IMO accurate likeness. And I would have loved having Thranduil and all the dwarves, but for me, they gotta have the face right. I'm less fussy about inexpensive figures.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 10:11pm

Post #61 of 70 (2829 views)
Shortcut
LOL Glorfindela [In reply to] Can't Post

With regard to the heads with torsos, it is the disembodied look that I find most unnerving (though I don't feel the same about, say, busts of classical Greek individuals).

Personally, I always feel like why can't I have the rest - e.g. the legs. The torso thing reminds me too much of shark movies (sorry)Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 8 2014, 10:20pm

Post #62 of 70 (2823 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's a relief [In reply to] Can't Post

So Noble will have nothing to do with it.

Not that Amazon wasn't great about the exchanges I had to make, and not that I don't love my bookends. But it was obvious the manufacturer could care less during the production run ):

And it's the reason I won't buy the pricey replica Deathless off Noble. Oh, well, at least UC made Thranduil's swordTongue. (Not that I don't love my little Orcrist letter opener from Noble.)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 10:21pm

Post #63 of 70 (2821 views)
Shortcut
I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about to go into a movie so I'll keep this short.

All I can say from what I see in my collection Weta consistently nails the likeness. I wouldn't say otherwise if I didn't see it and feel that way but I understand that others may feel different.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 10:24pm

Post #64 of 70 (2819 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Noble's fault they were breaking. It was whoever designed the box for the bookends. As far as the quality all I can say is mine arrived intact and they look great.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 9 2014, 12:09am

Post #65 of 70 (2822 views)
Shortcut
I might feel differently if I saw them in person [In reply to] Can't Post

Because seeing the SDCC booth footage was a whole different experience than just seeing flat pictures. More REAL and I think that was your work - BTW Elessar thank you as for those of us who were not at SDCC, I would have loved to have been at the booth. I probably would have left broke, but I would have loved that.

And I can't say I won't ever buy Thorin at least. Because it's WETA work, and it's Thorin.

LOL what movie are you seeing? (OT) 'coz I am going to Into the Storm tomorrow.....

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 2:31am

Post #66 of 70 (2824 views)
Shortcut
In person does help [In reply to] Can't Post

Not always mind you because even then sometimes people won't see the same things.

My pleasure. I love being there and want to bring the experience home for those that can't go. So I try to take really good pictures as well as do a solid job with video. I appreciate your kind words. :) if I could have bought that stuff on the spot I would have been as well. lol

I saw the new tmnt movie. I had to see it since I was into the cartoon and movies as a kid. I will see into the storm soon as well.

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Aug 9 2014, 8:09am

Post #67 of 70 (2802 views)
Shortcut
Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm almost sure Weta will release another Thorin statue, in his cloak and armour from the last film. There has been the smallest of hints on the Weta collectors message board from someone who works at Weta regarding this.

'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 10 2014, 12:37am

Post #68 of 70 (2787 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, for me that would be amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tho I shudder at the cost if is should be like the large Sauron in armor statue/figure. Because I'd have to have it.TongueCool

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together" - Thorin, The Desolation of Smaug.

Thorinitis: Just that smokey barbecue sizzle on a bed of hot embers on a chill autumn night voice making you do things.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Aug 10 2014, 2:18am

Post #69 of 70 (2784 views)
Shortcut
Now I remember what it looks like. The Dixie Chicks in Futurama! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my God... that's awful...

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Aug 10 2014, 12:24pm

Post #70 of 70 (2862 views)
Shortcut
1/6 scale [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tho I shudder at the cost if is should be like the large Sauron in armor statue/figure. Because I'd have to have it.TongueCool

Oh, no, it won't be as big as Sauron. These are all 1/6 scale so it should be the same height as the original Thorin, assuming I read the hint correctly.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.