The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
On Fading

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Aug 5 2014, 9:26pm

Post #1 of 13 (793 views)
Shortcut
On Fading Can't Post

I'm kind of confused about where the fading of the Elves comes from. I'm re-reading the Silmarillion right now, and it seems that the Doom of the Noldor made by Mandos upon their exile includes this concept for them (just the Noldor). But don't all Elves, not just the Noldor, eventually fade and return West? Is what Mandos spoke of something different, or just an emphasis for the sake of prophecy? And where is there an explanation for why the rest of the Elves fade?

(This post was edited by Sebastian the Hedgehog on Aug 5 2014, 9:27pm)

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 6 2014, 11:18am

Post #2 of 13 (568 views)
Shortcut
the ban, fading, and dying [In reply to] Can't Post

just ruminating over something...

there's a ban on all elves travelling west to aman -- but only in their fear + hroar combination.

faded elves (were there any during the first, second, or third ages? seems possible, if the elves knew of fading and its consequences).... could they pass west? if they were faded, it suggests they did not want to, at least at first. but could hey have at a later time?

re why the elves fade... in HoME (in morgoth's ring, iirc), tolkien states that the fiery intensity of the fea would eventually consume the hroa in which it was housed.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Aug 6 2014, 1:42pm

Post #3 of 13 (554 views)
Shortcut
Is passing into the West different from fading then? [In reply to] Can't Post

You asked if there were any faded elves in the first three ages, or if any knew about fading. There was the company of Elves Sam saw in the beginning of FOTR, Arwen gave up her ability to pass West, Elrond and Galadriel left at the end of the Third Age...so is what they did something different from fading?

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 6 2014, 5:04pm

Post #4 of 13 (542 views)
Shortcut
fading is different that passing into the west [In reply to] Can't Post

passing into the west is different than fading. elves who passed into the west retained their hroar.

but it occurs to me.... elves were born into arda marred... so wouldn't their hroar be marred? the valar have no problem with marred hroar being in aman?

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Aug 6 2014, 5:22pm

Post #5 of 13 (529 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fading is more of a curse, like with the Noldor, whereas passing into the West is just a choice among other Elves once they get tired of Middle-Earth?

squire
Half-elven

Aug 6 2014, 6:05pm

Post #6 of 13 (561 views)
Shortcut
Cheers indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Iluvatar can't bar the Eldar from Arda... but
Iluvatar will bar a Fear that's marred...
Iluvatar regards those Hroar as barred... yet
Iluvatar won't mar the Eldar's Fear.

Fear are marred,
Hroar are barred,
Eldar are starred,
Hoopdedillydilly!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

(This post was edited by squire on Aug 6 2014, 6:06pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 3:22am

Post #7 of 13 (504 views)
Shortcut
Just watched this the other day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done. Laugh

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 3:39am

Post #8 of 13 (520 views)
Shortcut
Fading [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say that 'fading' is more of a natural effect, accelerated by evil. It was always the plan of Eru for Men to dominate the World, learning from the Elves. How it would have played out is a mystery, but the very process is natural, a sort of way to let the Elves know their time is up. This process was one where the 'fea' consumed and dominated the 'hroa', as has been said, but that process could be intensified by grief and pain, thus one might fade sooner than they would normally. The process was very much at work in the TA, and Galadriel's ring held it in check within Lothlorien. So where were they to go when fading? I think that the trip West was the answer. In Valinor they would be in a relatively un-blighted place, and free from the evil that sapped their life energy. I also think that there was a better environment there that made it more suitable for immortals. There nothing died and change was slow, in contrast to the death and swiftly flowing years of M-E, so I think they would be more content there than anywhere else.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Aug 7 2014, 2:25pm

Post #9 of 13 (493 views)
Shortcut
Not a curse... [In reply to] Can't Post

But more the inherent evolution of the Elves or their destiny. As the previous poster notes, it was fated by Eru for the Elves to fade and to cede dominion of Middle Earth to Men. However, if the Elves do return West, they live in Bliss (heaven) for the rest of Time (or however long Arda lasts). Not so bad of a trade-off.

I do not know why any elves would remain in ME and fade. It seems an odd choice. But Elves also have free will and just like humans can make choices for a number of reasons. I often wonder whether Celeborn remained in ME and faded. What about Thrandruil? Maybe ego made them stay (rather be a king of faded faeries than subjects in Valinor).

Laineth
Lorien

Aug 9 2014, 8:43pm

Post #10 of 13 (459 views)
Shortcut
Celeborn [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure Celeborn sailed. The LotR prologue says,

There, though Elrond had departed, his sons long remained, together with some of the High-elven folk. It is said that Celeborn went to dwell there afer the departure of Galadriel; but there is no record of the day when at last he sought the Grey Havens, and with him went the last living memory of the Elder Days in Middle-earth.

And Appendix A says,

"Lady Undómiel," said Aragorn, "the hour is indeed hard, yet it was made even in that day when we met under the white birches in the garden of Elrond where none now walk."
[cut]
Galadriel had passed away and Celeborn also was gone, and the land was silent.

And Appendix B says,

But after the passing of Galadriel in a few years Celeborn grew weary of his realm ans went to Imladris to dwell with the sons of Elrond.

Not to mention that both Galadriel and Celebrían are in the West! Talk about a good motivator. Smile

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 10 2014, 2:21am

Post #11 of 13 (455 views)
Shortcut
Ego might be part of the reason [In reply to] Can't Post

But Elves also have a deep connection to their land. Just based on the fact that more Elves didn't leave as soon as Sauron started to take power again indicates that they would rather stay where they all. I always thought it was interesting that Elrond didn't leave with Celebrían. He may have felt the need to stay as a leader of his people, but I'm sure he was also greatly attached to Imladris.

TolkienBlog.com

Cillendor
Lorien

Aug 12 2014, 6:46pm

Post #12 of 13 (429 views)
Shortcut
It may not necessarily be ego. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was just a love for their world. Imagine pouring thousands of years into a home, and then being required to leave. You know that once you're gone, your home will deteriorate, and all of your work will be lost. From my experience, it's hard leaving a home after a mere decade. I can't imagine the anguish the Elves would've faced in deciding to leave their homes forever.

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Aug 12 2014, 11:24pm

Post #13 of 13 (496 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Valinor is not a bad tradeoff!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.