Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tidbit in an interview from 2007 with Adam Tolkien and clips of JRRT 1968

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 5 2014, 8:50pm

Post #1 of 5 (378 views)
Shortcut
Tidbit in an interview from 2007 with Adam Tolkien and clips of JRRT 1968 Can't Post

At 3:50 JRRT slips the word "Devil" for Morgoth/Melkor in describing the conflict if the exiled elves and him. great battle. Obviously, we all understand that Morgoth / Melkor represents Satan in his subcreation but he refrains otherwise from using that term. Though he does use demon, devilry etc.

I hope that Adam will reconsider things once he is running the estate. A Children of Hurin movie or other Silmarillion works represent $$$$$. He could retain overall artistic control...approval...for any project.

A hint...

http://maryvictrix.com/...ter-jacksons-movies/

I don't think he is entirely opposed....

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Aug 5 2014, 8:54pm)

Magradhaid
The Shire

Aug 7 2014, 2:21am

Post #2 of 5 (245 views)
Shortcut
'reconsider' [In reply to] Can't Post

I sure hope that CT's successor (which will hopefully be a decade or two from now and not sooner) doesn't have '$$$$$' as their primary motivation. Rather, I'd like to see the Estate continue to promote Tolkien's works as it has under Christopher, publishing Tolkien's unseen manuscripts in format and timing as they see fit. Turning Middle-earth into a franchise (like Brian Herbert did to Dune) would leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 4:07am

Post #3 of 5 (224 views)
Shortcut
Well, $$$$$ is a powerful thing and the right combination of [In reply to] Can't Post

financial reward for the estate and the trust balanced with whatever necessary artistic control they feel is necessary to sign off on any Children of Hurin or other Silmarillion work could eventually work out...a win win for all parties.

Christopher Tolkien is 89 and we can hope for many more years but the odds are that Adam will be assuming control in the not too distant future, either by C.T. handing it off or by succession.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Aug 7 2014, 4:08am)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 8:16pm

Post #4 of 5 (190 views)
Shortcut
agreed.// [In reply to] Can't Post

geordie
Tol Eressea

Aug 8 2014, 8:49pm

Post #5 of 5 (266 views)
Shortcut
sorry to re-post as it were - [In reply to] Can't Post

- but a friend of mine has pointed out to me that it may look as if i were agreeing with your good self, whereas I was actually agreeing with what Magradhaid said; that is, I don't think money is an issue.

Sorry if this post seems out of place -

(This post was edited by geordie on Aug 8 2014, 8:50pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.