Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Ladies, what is your most expensive indulgence?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 6 2014, 12:35pm

Post #26 of 43 (201 views)
Shortcut
Hair and nails [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not into clothes or makeup but I do get a manicure and pedicure monthly and I like a good haircut. I also enjoy massages and body scrubs a few times a year.

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 6 2014, 12:40pm

Post #27 of 43 (193 views)
Shortcut
I know just how you feel! [In reply to] Can't Post

When my daughter and granddaughter lived with me and my husband the first three years of my grands life I would fantasize about going to a bed and breakfast by myself for the night. Never did do it. Now I'm a widow living with my two dogs so I get plenty of quiet time.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2014, 1:48pm

Post #28 of 43 (201 views)
Shortcut
not girly stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

never was a girly girl...

More like: riding boots... a dogsled (OMG IT'S SO GORGEOUS!!!)... kayak... trips with kayak... new paddle... another new paddle... a bitless bridle... dog harnesses and gear... camping trip to the beach... fence... fenceposts... GAWD I NEED A PILE OF STONE for the shelters and can I splurge on hiring someone young and doughty to pull out that old fence??????

...and two art books: how to Train Your Dragon, and HTTYD2...

Amazon is deadly. Midnight. Click. Yeah.

Oh and going back to see Guardians of the Galaxy... twice.

Raccoons rule.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2014, 2:41pm

Post #29 of 43 (188 views)
Shortcut
We wants them precious! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, CERTAINLY I want that pendant, AND Aragorn's knife, but haven't managed either yet. I did shell out for a dragon earcuff just for DoS, and a green velvet "elf" jacket as well, plus some other Hobbity stuff. Like the Funko Pop Thorin, Gandalf & Bilbo, yeah, silly things like that!

Arg! Now you're putting ideas in my head! Must...resist...urge...to...buy...everything!Wink

"Love woke me up this morning
With a memory
Love came and whispered a story
That awakened a dream,

I am a dreamer, take me higher
Open the sky up, start a fire
I believe even if it's just a dream"
~"Dreamer" by Bethany Dillon

glor
Rohan

Aug 6 2014, 4:48pm

Post #30 of 43 (187 views)
Shortcut
Yarn [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful hand dyed silks and wools. I knit, mostly fine lace shawls and if I'm going spend from 40 to 200 hours knitting something on tiny needles then it needs to be something that gives pleasure to my hands and a feast for my eyes.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 2:13am

Post #31 of 43 (165 views)
Shortcut
AYE for our pets [In reply to] Can't Post

I do spend more money on my pets' food than my own. I have choices. They don't.

Especially after the poison food scares - heartbreaking. It's made in the U.S. or I don't want it, period. No pet owner should have had to go through that.

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 5:49am

Post #32 of 43 (168 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

well, if something is practical is it still an indulgence? Wink

I can, so canning stuff is a recent one (fortunately the jars and rims are reusable unless they break- and my grandmother gave me her water bath and pressure canner- I Heart her! Cool). I also purchase fabric to sew my own dresses and those for my girls, along with proper underthings (I live an Amish lifestyle, which started about two years ago when I finally learned how to sew patterns, with some modifications like a sewing machine). Notions and other things for the dresses can add up, but the bonus is that five or six is plenty and it cut down on my laundry! And I make my own laundry soap, which has also been cheaper.

I don't wear jewelry much- just my wedding ring most of the time (and don't have much real stuff, though a mother's cross necklace is on my list). I don't wear makeup either, most of the time. And other than trims when needed, I don't cut my hair- someone else does it (though I cut my husband's and trim my daughters' hair).

I only own three pairs of shoes that I wear regularly (athletic walking/running shoes, just below knee riding leather boots for working outside/costuming, and church shoes). Still have wedding shoes, and obviously two pair snow boots, one pair of sandals, one pair of slippers, one pair of softball cleats, ice skates, and a pair of roller blades- that's it.

Both cars were bought used, and are owned outright.

I do leather work, but that's also practical and part of my lifestyle choice. Same with gardening- I prefer hand tools, but I really want more berry bushes and raised beds (part of the yard has a sprinkler system that was there when we moved in, so don't want to risk hitting the pipe) and materials cost money.

Hmmm....tough question Smile

I think if I had to list things that I don't view as necessary or practical (meaning sewing, canning, etc are necessary- and as you saw from above, shoes are purchased only when necessary too) mine would be repeat trips to the theater for TH movies, and anything I purchase sewing wise for costuming. Also my bow and arrows, as I am an archer, and getting download and hard copy of each movie, then EE's of each. And eventually I want to get the WETA chronicles tie in books. I eventually want to get a solid wood long bow (mine is a three part, recurve training bow for now) and they run about $200 easy. And my bike, which ran about $85.

I try to live more simply, and clutter free, so tend to resist impulse buys unless they're practical and I have a place to put them. Also we don't make very much money (one income), and I only get $40 per month in pocket money ($20 every two weeks). Everything else goes toward bills or groceries or cleaning things/soap/necessary toiletries, etc, and even then we purchase ingredients and whole foods- not processed. But I can buy several movie tickets to see TH in theaters with Christmas bonus, and the best part is that my husband watches the girls so I can go by myself- precious recharge time indeed! Heart Sly

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Aug 7 2014, 5:54am)

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Aug 7 2014, 6:33am

Post #33 of 43 (158 views)
Shortcut
Re: Wood Longbow [In reply to] Can't Post

I have two of them, both found for under $50 in resale shops. They are marvelous!

Hope you can find some!

Cirashala
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 6:39am

Post #34 of 43 (159 views)
Shortcut
draw weight is a bit of an issue for me [In reply to] Can't Post

My bow right now is a 25 lb draw weight, and I've seen wood longbows (or at least, long on my five foot frame) at 30 lbs, which I can technically pull now. But around here, they run about $200.

My grandfather's bow has been promised to me if I get really, really good at archery, but it's a 60 lb draw weight, and even if I were to get my arms a lot stronger I think my height to pull ratio might still be too small- meaning I may not be able to draw it fully because of my shorter than average arms. As is, I can't use 28 inch arrows because I cannot reach behind me high enough to pull them out of my quiver. I need to use 26 inch, which unfortunately are kid size so cannot handle the weight of a 60 lb draw. But I might be able to get stronger arrows custom made- though that will be VERY pricey!

I will keep an eye out for sure though Smile

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 2:30pm

Post #35 of 43 (144 views)
Shortcut
Well I have to respect that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
well, if something is practical is it still an indulgence? Wink

I can, so canning stuff is a recent one (fortunately the jars and rims are reusable unless they break- and my grandmother gave me her water bath and pressure canner- I Heart her! Cool). I also purchase fabric to sew my own dresses and those for my girls, along with proper underthings (I live an Amish lifestyle, which started about two years ago when I finally learned how to sew patterns, with some modifications like a sewing machine). Notions and other things for the dresses can add up, but the bonus is that five or six is plenty and it cut down on my laundry! And I make my own laundry soap, which has also been cheaper.

I don't wear jewelry much- just my wedding ring most of the time (and don't have much real stuff, though a mother's cross necklace is on my list). I don't wear makeup either, most of the time. And other than trims when needed, I don't cut my hair- someone else does it (though I cut my husband's and trim my daughters' hair).

I only own three pairs of shoes that I wear regularly (athletic walking/running shoes, just below knee riding leather boots for working outside/costuming, and church shoes). Still have wedding shoes, and obviously two pair snow boots, one pair of sandals, one pair of slippers, one pair of softball cleats, ice skates, and a pair of roller blades- that's it.

Both cars were bought used, and are owned outright.

I do leather work, but that's also practical and part of my lifestyle choice. Same with gardening- I prefer hand tools, but I really want more berry bushes and raised beds (part of the yard has a sprinkler system that was there when we moved in, so don't want to risk hitting the pipe) and materials cost money.

Hmmm....tough question Smile

I think if I had to list things that I don't view as necessary or practical (meaning sewing, canning, etc are necessary- and as you saw from above, shoes are purchased only when necessary too) mine would be repeat trips to the theater for TH movies, and anything I purchase sewing wise for costuming. Also my bow and arrows, as I am an archer, and getting download and hard copy of each movie, then EE's of each. And eventually I want to get the WETA chronicles tie in books. I eventually want to get a solid wood long bow (mine is a three part, recurve training bow for now) and they run about $200 easy. And my bike, which ran about $85.

I try to live more simply, and clutter free, so tend to resist impulse buys unless they're practical and I have a place to put them. Also we don't make very much money (one income), and I only get $40 per month in pocket money ($20 every two weeks). Everything else goes toward bills or groceries or cleaning things/soap/necessary toiletries, etc, and even then we purchase ingredients and whole foods- not processed. But I can buy several movie tickets to see TH in theaters with Christmas bonus, and the best part is that my husband watches the girls so I can go by myself- precious recharge time indeed! Heart Sly

I admire ANYONE that can sew and garden, as I suck at both. A few house plants, a little crocheting, that's about it, though. I'm not much of a "shoe" person, either, I probably have a dozen and about 3-4 that I wear most of the time. But yes, some things can be practical and indulgent - I spent about $70 on one of those "go to" shoes, which is about twice what I normally spend, but for comfort and good arch support!

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 7 2014, 7:09pm

Post #36 of 43 (145 views)
Shortcut
Another vote for books here.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Other things I can persuade myself not to buy, but books whisper in my dreams.....

Second most expensive, old photographs.

Far as make-up goes I'm afraid I'm a lost cause!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2014, 9:41pm

Post #37 of 43 (133 views)
Shortcut
Ammo and Firearms [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy target shooting and ammo gets expensive. I looked into reloading at one point but haven't gotten around to doing it. Shooting can be expensive if you don't reload and if you have a bunch of different caliber weapons. I'm a sucker for classic revolvers and long guns.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 9 2014, 10:29pm

Post #38 of 43 (118 views)
Shortcut
Besides conventions and travel [In reply to] Can't Post

that I'm not doing anymore... I collect dvds and Middle-earth movie tickets/collectibles/books. That, too, is winding down ;)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2014, 2:56am

Post #39 of 43 (108 views)
Shortcut
It is an investment... [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the Aragorn's Ring, (a.k.a. The Ring of Barahir) from them, and I just love the thing. My one-time splurge before I had to start socking money away for school. Nowadays I go to bargain booksellers and spend a few dollars every few weeks.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Kerewyn
Rohan

Aug 10 2014, 3:31am

Post #40 of 43 (107 views)
Shortcut
Definitely travel [In reply to] Can't Post

Travel is my indulgence – and it’s fairly costy to get anywhere from Australia, except New Zealand which I travel to nearly every Christmas and Easter to see family.

In recent years, I’ve been invited on various overseas trips to travel with or meet up with friends: Bali, Morocco, Montreal, India, Italy, Abu Dhabi, China last year, and this October to Sth Africa and Dubai. (and have also been invited to Sri Lanka but there’s a timing clash with that one) And I just can’t resist, so I scrape the money together.

But in the meantime there are many improvements needed around my little unit. The kitchen needs a severe overhaul, the ancient carpet could be replaced, as should a rotting timber window frame. If I wasn’t saving to travel, I could’ve done these things long ago. But it’s all about priorities. I can live in a slightly run-down home (after all it’s only me, and I seldom have visitors – I go out to meet friends) but I can’t live with missing a perfectly good travel opportunity because it’s gonna cost something.

Likewise travel for golden opportunities. I flew from Melbourne to Sydney on two occasions to see the LOTR Exhibition and Howard Shore conducting his soundtrack at the Sydney Opera House. I have considered SD Comic Con too… one day I will get there.

I also have far too many shoes (but I never pay full retail!)

'People don't know where I begin and latex ends, which has always been an ambition for me.' (Martin Freeman)

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Aug 10 2014, 3:34am)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 10 2014, 4:18am

Post #41 of 43 (98 views)
Shortcut
I did splurge on the Elven brooch from Noble [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a job that paid more money then. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 12 2014, 7:29am

Post #42 of 43 (84 views)
Shortcut
Amen! =) // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Aug 17 2014, 10:46pm

Post #43 of 43 (80 views)
Shortcut
Books, Shoes and anything nerdy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always complain to my mom that I have nothing to read even though my stack of books is ever increasing!!
Shoes...oh man, I can't go to the shoe department without finding a pair that. I. Have. To. HAVE!!! ;)
Also any t-shirts, calendars, trading cards, etc that's related to LOTR/TH/SW eats up a lot of my paycheck!! :)

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

It is our fight!~ Tauriel

I fear neither death nor pain! ~Eowyn

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.