The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Lord of the Rings theater production discussion

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 4 2014, 8:37pm

Post #1 of 8 (428 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings theater production discussion Can't Post

I never see this theater production get much attention. Recently bought the soundtrack for it, and it's amazing! And was watching some of the clips from the musical on YouTube, and I'd really have loved to see this. A shame they stopped it, although apparently next year a world tour is starting, with the first location being New Zealand (fitting, I think Wink). Hope it comes somewhere relatively close to where I live in the US. Would definitely see this! And would love it if they made a DVD of the performance to last a lifetime. So what are some thoughts on this musical? And has anyone seen it?

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

IdrilLalaith
Rivendell

Aug 5 2014, 3:05am

Post #2 of 8 (292 views)
Shortcut
Didn't even know there was one [In reply to] Can't Post

When was it being performed? I assume it wasn't Broadway--was it somewhere in New York?

TolkienBlog.com

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 5 2014, 3:49am

Post #3 of 8 (302 views)
Shortcut
It played in Toronto and London [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._the_Rings_(musical)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Aug 5 2014, 6:07am

Post #4 of 8 (310 views)
Shortcut
I saw it in London. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it during it's initial run in London, and was blown away by the production. I'd love to see it again. It truly was a spectacle, but there were obviously large portions of the books omitted and changed. Galadriel, the Balrog, the Ents and Gollum made the show.

I have a feeling it was the most expensive show in theaters in the UK, and you could have seen why.

I've seen a couple of theatre productions in London, here and there. Only Phantom of the Opera beats The Lord of the Rings musical. It is a shame it was cancelled and didn't have a longer run.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 3:35pm

Post #5 of 8 (284 views)
Shortcut
Here's a video of some scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaHRFlPCtsU

Favorite songs definitely have to be The Road Goes On, Cat and the Moon, Now and for Always, and Wonder.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6 2014, 4:34am

Post #6 of 8 (271 views)
Shortcut
I saw it the first year it played in Toronto [In reply to] Can't Post

And I absolutely loved it! The stagework was incredible, and the characters were wonderful!

There was an elderly couple sitting next to me. When the play was over, they told me they'd never read the books or saw the films, but they loved this production very much. I encourage everyone to see it if at all possible.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

LordotRings93
Rohan

Aug 6 2014, 7:59pm

Post #7 of 8 (252 views)
Shortcut
Sounds amazing!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Really am itching to see it now!! Again, I hope when the World Tour launches that a showing is relatively close to where I am. Really does look like a spectacle to behold!

dreamflower
Lorien

Aug 6 2014, 8:49pm

Post #8 of 8 (281 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen it... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I got the soundtrack two Christmases ago, and absolutely adore it; I think "Now and For Always" is one of the most beautiful and hobbity songs I've ever heard, and captures the essence of the whole story.

I do know that the story is quite truncated, blending the Gondor and Rohan storylines together and so forth.

(And I also love "The Road Goes On" too, although the line "milk a goat, churn it into cream" always gives me the giggles, as I imagine Pippin trying to stuff a goat into a churn!)

I'd LOVE a chance to see a production of it, though!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.