The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If Bot5A makes it to 1 billion $....

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 11:51am

Post #1 of 15 (1094 views)
Shortcut
If Bot5A makes it to 1 billion $.... Can't Post

... PJ will actually be the first director to have three billion dollar crossing movies. Just thought this is a fun fact.

With Transformers not breaking out as much as some thought, TH3 has a chance to actually become the worldwide-BO champion 2014 (if word of mouth and reviews are good), with only THG: Mockingjay being another contender that has at least a small chance of making it to a billion dollars (Interstellar could prove to be a wildcard in that whole BO-game, however, as unlikely as it may seem).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 4 2014, 12:36pm

Post #2 of 15 (649 views)
Shortcut
Here's to smaller and even better things from Sir Peter . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . After he takes that spot.

Sorry THG and Interstellar, but you won't receive any Box Office contributions from me.

My winter's allowance will be spent on numerous viewings of the latest instalment of The Hobbit.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Aug 4 2014, 12:40pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 12:46pm

Post #3 of 15 (595 views)
Shortcut
Next movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope he makes "How Nature made him" as well as "Dambusters".

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 2:49pm

Post #4 of 15 (491 views)
Shortcut
My BotFA fund is alloted [In reply to] Can't Post

I am going to be contributing for sure. Cool

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2014, 6:16pm

Post #5 of 15 (427 views)
Shortcut
James Cameron will join him relatively soon... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and best him, making a record for "eternity"* with probably 6 movies over a billion. Good on PJ, though. However, who knows, if Interstellar breaks out, Nolan might beat PJ to the bunch.

I think Transformers is doing very well. Granted, mainly due to China's gargantuan $300m + gross but still. Hobbit may have it very tough beating $1.1b, which is what Transformers will likely end up with (or close to).

*inflation will sooner or later catch up

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Aug 4 2014, 6:17pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 6:49pm

Post #6 of 15 (383 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything could happen to Interstellar at this point... this will be an exciting release on all levels.

And Bot5A surely needs good WOM to make it.

With all the likely billion movies coming up all of this will be pretty un-interesting soon, anyway. There could soon be movies doing what the entire LotR trilogy made (unadjusted, of course).

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 4 2014, 6:51pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Aug 4 2014, 7:17pm

Post #7 of 15 (375 views)
Shortcut
I'm more intrigued by his long rumoured film about The Gallipoli landings [In reply to] Can't Post

He mentioned in an interview a few years back, that he was considering doing a film exploring the ANZAC forces role in the Landings, with the intention of having it ready for release by the centanary of the Battle (obviously a certain other film got in the way), though I can't recall any recent updates on the project (I'm not sure if it was ever actually confirmed to be in pre production or not), it certainly seems like an interesting change of pace for him.

Jackson is something of a history buff (his grandfather fought in the Battle) and has expressed a desire to move towards New Zealand stories, I'd be very intrigued to see his take on serious drama, though I'm not entirely convinced it's a film that could play well internationally.

glor
Rohan

Aug 4 2014, 10:05pm

Post #8 of 15 (324 views)
Shortcut
Hunger Games [In reply to] Can't Post

The first film made under 700 million worldwide and the last one, 865 million.

Yes, they have the kudos of an Oscar winning actress as their heroine but they are largely a North American phenomena hence, the failure to acheive the magic billion despite the heavy marketing in Europe. Mockingjay is a two parter, that I think may harm it's chances of making the billion even more as THG lacks the mass appeal outside of the North America's to sustain a novel split into two movies.

Pj's Middle-earth movies are a global phenomena with an international box office that represents an average of 75% of overall takings and that is why they make the billion dollar mark.

Interstellar, is a possible but, that very much depends on the rating, if it comes in with a rating above PG 13, which is possible, then it won't stand a chance of making the billion.

(This post was edited by glor on Aug 4 2014, 10:06pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 12:13am

Post #9 of 15 (283 views)
Shortcut
That's awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

And I fully expect it to make that much at least.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 12:42am

Post #10 of 15 (273 views)
Shortcut
That would be excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think that it will!

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 1:22am

Post #11 of 15 (277 views)
Shortcut
Interstellar is the dark horse. [In reply to] Can't Post

Transformers may very well be the only film to make over $1 billion. I hope BoFA does, but it may not. I think it will though. Interstellar has a shot at $1 billion as well, and I really hope it makes it. It would be really awesome for an original film with an original idea make over $1 billion. And Interstellar is the film to do that this year. I definitely hope it does.

Whether BoFA makes $1 billion or not, it doesn't matter though. The series is already a huge success. And that makes me very happy for everyone involved in making these awesome films.

Regarding the Hunger Games, I don't think there's a chance it reaches a billion. It's just not big enough outside of the US. But I've been wrong before, I would just be very surprised if it passed a billion.

I would love for Guardians of the Galaxy to make a billion, but that won't happen. I'm glad it did so well in it's opening weekend, though. It was a really great film. And one of the most fun science fiction movies in years. It deserves to make a billion (far more than that steaming pile Transformers did). But it won't make it. At least we already are getting a sequel. That's all that really matters.

Our destiny lies above us.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 4:36am

Post #12 of 15 (252 views)
Shortcut
Here's to BOTFA making 1billion $ and more!...// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 7:36am

Post #13 of 15 (238 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though Interstellar will be very depended on reviews and word of mouth... despite the internet community being excited for this, someone who isn't aware of the director and his movies may expect "Gravity" with some sort of family story. But if it is good and gets the kind of reception Inception got it could make it indeed.

Hunger Games... I also think it will not make it. Given that this is also the worst rated book of the series and a first part in which Katniss does not feature as much, it may also suffer a bit from it. I think this one might drop a little at the BO before Mockingjay II probably breaks out.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Aug 5 2014, 7:36am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 7:12pm

Post #14 of 15 (204 views)
Shortcut
PG13 it is [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no reason Interstellar should be anything other than PG13. As far as i know, it won't feature explicit violance or nudity.

In Reply To
Interstellar, is a possible but, that very much depends on the rating, if it comes in with a rating above PG 13, which is possible, then it won't stand a chance of making the billion.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2014, 9:59pm

Post #15 of 15 (186 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it blows the top off the Box Office!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.