Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ah my bad!I had assumed it was conventional double-edged

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9, 12:38am

Views: 36
Shortcut
Ah my bad!I had assumed it was conventional double-edged [In reply to] Can't Post

just from assumption since I didn't manage to find the relevant information on the messer before. But just now I saw one in wiki, of all places, the general definition. So yes: "a term for the class of single-edged bladed weapons". Intriguing.

But like I said, I'm a hack with regards to specifics. The link between the Rohirrim weapons with the messer just jumped out when I saw that first messer image in Kathuphazg‚n'a link.Evil

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Subject User Time
Thranduil's weapons and fighting style Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 3, 5:44am
    the short answer would be he fights like this as the film makers think it looks cool. ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Aug 3, 10:13am
        Absolutely! Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 4, 1:41pm
    i dont know if this has been observed by others ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Aug 3, 12:13pm
        love that gif! DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Aug 3, 3:15pm
            Totally! Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 5, 1:19pm
        Oops... I guess I should read both your posts before answering Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 4, 1:43pm
    Maybe he holds the left hand sword that way so he can stab to the back Elarie Send a private message to Elarie Aug 3, 1:12pm
        That's what I think Glassary Send a private message to Glassary Aug 3, 4:06pm
            Yeah! Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 4, 1:45pm
    the Mirkwood elves and the C & D book Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Aug 3, 4:45pm
        I'm dying already! Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 4, 1:47pm
    Samurai Retro315 Send a private message to Retro315 Aug 3, 4:49pm
        Fabulous post - THANK YOU for sharing that info! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Aug 3, 6:02pm
            I'm still dying here you know Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 4, 2:06pm
                but Lurker we'll lose you for a while Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Aug 4, 8:29pm
                    Well maybe some would appreciate the peace Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 5, 1:18pm
            Totally agree Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Aug 5, 12:27am
                having a loose basis in reality only, even if an on set weapon master has some groundign in historical sword use it gets adapted and changed significantly to look good on film ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Aug 5, 1:13am
                    Agree, and would apply to most theatrical fight scenes as well Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Aug 5, 2:21am
                    Sure Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 5, 1:44pm
                I'm sure of it, Loresilme Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 5, 1:20pm
        Wow... thanks for sharing Retro315 Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 4, 2:04pm
        I don't get a "katana" vibe from it at all... Kathuphazg‚n Send a private message to Kathuphazg‚n Aug 5, 12:18am
            yes much closer to a messer than any type of katana ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Aug 5, 1:16am
            Not precisely but... Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 5, 2:02pm
                keen and correct observation about messers ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Aug 5, 8:17pm
                    Thanks for the info! And questions Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 7, 2:25pm
                        Lurker my understanding is that the only definition is a sword mounted as a knife ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Aug 8, 1:19am
                            Thanks, ElendilTheShort Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 8, 2:30pm
                                but isn't a messer single bladed? Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Aug 9, 12:28am
                                    Ah my bad!I had assumed it was conventional double-edged Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 9, 12:38am
    I've tried reverse grip main gauche, Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 4, 1:12am
        TRUST Meneldor..He Knows of WHAT? he speaks... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Aug 4, 11:34am
            We does, Bomby, we does! // Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 4, 2:12pm
                Aww, gee guys, you're making me blush. Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Aug 4, 3:50pm
        Meneldor Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 4, 2:10pm
    I think I know why he does the reverse grip!!! Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Aug 4, 5:04am
        Yup Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 4, 2:12pm
            Oh, for sure KeenObserver Send a private message to KeenObserver Aug 4, 4:15pm
                lol Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Aug 5, 12:32am
                Heheh Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 5, 2:14pm
                    HA! // KeenObserver Send a private message to KeenObserver Aug 5, 2:22pm
        I have just learnt so much! Kerewyn Send a private message to Kerewyn Aug 4, 10:06pm
            Wow. Got to hand it to you and Cirashala Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 5, 2:16pm
            Sorry about that KeenObserver Send a private message to KeenObserver Aug 5, 2:24pm
    Thanks Lurker ! - Loved this thread ltnjmy Send a private message to ltnjmy Aug 6, 6:35pm
        *Waves* Hi ltnjmy! Lurker in the Mirk Send a private message to Lurker in the Mirk Aug 7, 2:58pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.