Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil's weapons and fighting style
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kathuphazgân
The Shire

Aug 5 2014, 12:18am

Post #26 of 48 (256 views)
Shortcut
I don't get a "katana" vibe from it at all... [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems much more like a großes messer/kriegsmesser to me.

http://www.dietraumschmiede.de/fecht/messer.jpg

http://historical-academy.co.uk/blog/2011/04/22/the-messer-of-talhoffers-1467-fechtbuch/

Imago Splendoris Regem Hominorum In Gloria Non Obscura Ante Ruptus Mundi.

(This post was edited by Kathuphazgân on Aug 5 2014, 12:19am)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 12:27am

Post #27 of 48 (247 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
sounds like the Hobbit swordmasters know exactly what they are doing re training.

The weapons team and the trainers are so skilled, and with all the attention to detail in these films, we can be sure that whatever fighting style they would choose for Thranduil, it would be purposely chosen and have a deep and well-thought out backstory / explanation.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 12:32am

Post #28 of 48 (243 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've recently discovered squealing. I've figured out how to "squee"
effectively and that it's actually okay for a dude to produce such a sound.

Absolutely, geek sir, squee and be proud Cool!

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 1:13am

Post #29 of 48 (252 views)
Shortcut
having a loose basis in reality only, even if an on set weapon master has some groundign in historical sword use it gets adapted and changed significantly to look good on film [In reply to] Can't Post

movie sword play is significantly different to what is shown in the remaining historical sources , and it has to be because real sword play would probably not be suitable for film, in most if not all cases realistic sword fights would be quite short and not as flowing or theatrical as we see on film. this is where this reverse grip fighting style comes in, it looks good, is very distinctive to establish Thranduil as a stand out combatant but is quite unreal. defensively the reverse grip on a weapon the length of his swords is next to useless when dealing with incoming weapons, not only in contact but in recovery and transition to whatever the his next move is. effectively changing the orientation of the blade in a typical grip is very easy but would be extremely limited in a reverse grip. the sword is definitely a tool designed to be primarily gripped how we typically see it done. anything else is visual cool factor.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 1:16am

Post #30 of 48 (239 views)
Shortcut
yes much closer to a messer than any type of katana [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 2:21am

Post #31 of 48 (240 views)
Shortcut
Agree, and would apply to most theatrical fight scenes as well [In reply to] Can't Post

whether using weapons or only the body (martial arts) - in reality most fights are over very quickly.

in most if not all cases realistic sword fights would be quite short

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 1:18pm

Post #32 of 48 (209 views)
Shortcut
Well maybe some would appreciate the peace [In reply to] Can't Post

and not seeing Thranduil threads on the first page of the activity view for a change Tongue

On the other squee, teh book may be arriving before this weekend!HeartHeartHeart

It's killing me thinking all those lovely things are IN STORAGE someplace - I guess - and now it's all coming down to PJ in a dark room and other folks in dark rooms, w. sound boards and mega-computers and digital artists working away like busy ants.Frown

Imagine being one of those artists and working on a pipeline with lotsa of Thorin or Thranduil Angelic

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 1:19pm

Post #33 of 48 (211 views)
Shortcut
Totally! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil rocks.Wink

SmileHeartCoolBlushAngelic

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 1:20pm

Post #34 of 48 (203 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure of it, Loresilme [In reply to] Can't Post

The weapons team and the trainers are so skilled, and with all the attention to detail in these films, we can be sure that whatever fighting style they would choose for Thranduil, it would be purposely chosen and have a deep and well-thought out backstory / explanation.

And I hope we get to hear the backstory

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 1:44pm

Post #35 of 48 (206 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

movie sword play is significantly different to what is shown in the remaining historical sources , and it has to be because real sword play would probably not be suitable for film, in most if not all cases realistic sword fights would be quite short and not as flowing or theatrical as we see on film.

For the most part. Do you watch kungfu movies from Hong Kong? Going back quite a bit here but "Shaolin Temple", Jet Li's maiden venture into moviedom was quite accurate actually. Revived the jaded kungfu fandom and spawned a whole generation of shaolin martial arts enthusiasts. But of course any movie scene was stitched with various shots and views but I'm citing this movie, back in the day of primitive equipment and basic film-maker tools, as proof that realistic and movie-worthy are not mutually exclusive. More recently, and with big-budget backing, I'd say the Russell Crowe/Joaquin Phoenix set-to in the Gladiator has its own realism too and that was not a short scene.

this is where this reverse grip fighting style comes in, it looks good, is very distinctive to establish Thranduil as a stand out combatant but is quite unreal. defensively the reverse grip on a weapon the length of his swords is next to useless when dealing with incoming weapons, not only in contact but in recovery and transition to whatever the his next move is. effectively changing the orientation of the blade in a typical grip is very easy but would be extremely limited in a reverse grip. the sword is definitely a tool designed to be primarily gripped how we typically see it done. anything else is visual cool factor.

I disagree the grip is next to useless, just because of swordlength. Again, if this was a grip on the primary weapon, I would be in full agreement with you. But as a secondary weapon grip, I see it as versatile and, with the comments of Retro315 and Meneldor, workable too. Plus katanas, full-length swords in themselves, are also wielded with the reverse grip as Retro315 also noted.

The reverse grip extends the reach for both parry and thrust to the back of the wielder beyond that of having the conventional grip on both swords, which is limited to frontal action only, because no matter how adapt at changing the sword orientation in a conventional grip, to deal with attacks from behind, the wielder would need to at least turn partially to address it. Not with the reverse grip, which of course is not for the mortal swordsman anyway, but we've seen with Thranduil's deadly precise no-look orc beheading that he has the cred to work the reverse grip like a boss. Plus the reverse grip can also be easily reversed at need to the conventional grip with a quick wrist flick of the well-trained swordsman. So I wager while visual cool may have been the driving force for Thranduil's fighting style, there may be a bit more than just cool in the design.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 2:02pm

Post #36 of 48 (206 views)
Shortcut
Not precisely but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing the links about the messer, Kathuphazgân. While on initial viewing it seems to be so, after studying the info from your links and comparing it to the conventional katana and Thranduil's sword, I do think the genealogy of the Elven blade is more katana than messer, which I believe is also mentioned in some interview or article with the designers/artists/swordsmasters of WETA.

The messer (from your url). Straight blade, symmetrical double-edged. More a big knife than a full-fledged sword. Hilt for single hand grip.
  • ?? blade length
  • ?? overall length

Thranduil's sword
. Straight blade, asymmetrical. Single-edged. Hilt for double-hand grip.
  • 30-3/4" blade length
  • 41-7/8" overall length

Katana. Curved blade, asymmetrical. Single-edged. Hilt for double-hand grip.
  • Blade Length: 29 1/2"
  • Overall Length: 40 3/4"

(all are clicky pics to the source pages)

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 2:14pm

Post #37 of 48 (201 views)
Shortcut
Heheh [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a great time to be nerds, ain't it? Cool

Re SQUEE... Rest assured the virtue of your masculinity is intact. The source of truth that is urban dictionary decrees it to be a universal exclamation in both fangirl and fanboy parlance.

Thusly can the program loop be defined:
Squee!Male Function()
Case 1: other admission-paying viewers display signs of startlement or disturbance. Flash them the urban dictionary page. Goto Case Default;
Case 2: Feelings of embarrassment and inappropriateness (may be downright) at self for squee!display. Goto Case Default;
Case 3: Feelings of extreme imbalance due to extreme squee!display. Take after Meneldor by training in the art of war and getting back in touch with masculine side. Goto Case Default;
Case Default: Recite mantra 300 times daily: Squee! is the universal exclamation in both fangirl and fanboy parlance;
Case end;

Problem solved. Sly

And if the function malfunctions, remember your own words, rittle gelasshoppar

I've recently discovered squealing. I've figured out how to "squee"
effectively and that it's actually okay for a dude to produce such a sound.

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Aug 5 2014, 2:18pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 2:16pm

Post #38 of 48 (194 views)
Shortcut
Wow. Got to hand it to you and Cirashala [In reply to] Can't Post

For doing practical experiments. Smile

Am loving the generosity and wisdom of the knowledge collective!

=======

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 5 2014, 2:22pm

Post #39 of 48 (191 views)
Shortcut
HA! // [In reply to] Can't Post

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 5 2014, 2:24pm

Post #40 of 48 (189 views)
Shortcut
Sorry about that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Keen Observer, you made me laugh tea all over my keyboard!

Evil

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 5 2014, 8:17pm

Post #41 of 48 (185 views)
Shortcut
keen and correct observation about messers [In reply to] Can't Post

they are literally swords mounted as knives, but all aspects of each of their components in dimensions and shapes vary significantly which is typical of european swords. my avatar is my kriegmesser which is two handed with grip scales riveted to the tang so more in line with thranduils swords but with a longer blade, please note the blade curve vs the straight example you give.

with respect to fighting styles i agree with what you and others are saying about the reverse grip in a plausible fantasy context as established by the movie makers given thranduils skill beyond that of a human...as example his no look beheading of the orc without worrying about hitting his son....but in reality the reverse grip like that has limited applications, the fact is if you are attacked from in front by someone who knows what they are doing and a second person who knows what they are doing manages to get behind you and you let them stay there the fight is over very soon. defense in that situation would rely on footwork to reposition yourself so no one was behind you.

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Aug 6 2014, 6:35pm

Post #42 of 48 (144 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Lurker ! - Loved this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

With deep appreciation, a committed thranduil thrall, JudySmile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 2:25pm

Post #43 of 48 (142 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the info! And questions [In reply to] Can't Post

they are literally swords mounted as knives, but all aspects of each of their components in dimensions and shapes vary significantly which is typical of european swords. my avatar is my kriegmesser which is two handed with grip scales riveted to the tang so more in line with thranduils swords but with a longer blade, please note the blade curve vs the straight example you give.

Wow, interesting, the variation. What makes a messer then? As in what distinguishes the messer as such?

For your blade, is it usual to have the curved blade on a messer or is yours a custom job? Do you mind posting a bigger pic and also provide the dimensions for your kriegmesser for comparison? I tried googling messer but just got a ton of programming references, which is why I left the details for the messer blank in my previous post.

with respect to fighting styles i agree with what you and others are saying about the reverse grip in a plausible fantasy context as established by the movie makers given thranduils skill beyond that of a human...as example his no look beheading of the orc without worrying about hitting his son....but in reality the reverse grip like that has limited applications, the fact is if you are attacked from in front by someone who knows what they are doing and a second person who knows what they are doing manages to get behind you and you let them stay there the fight is over very soon. defense in that situation would rely on footwork to reposition yourself so no one was behind you.

Sure, no arguments there. But you will understand that as a Thranduil thrall, I will keep that bit of inconvenient reality in the shade, and focus instead on marvelling at the glory of Thranduil's twin-sword mastery cool unto delirium HeartAngelicTongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 7 2014, 2:58pm

Post #44 of 48 (127 views)
Shortcut
*Waves* Hi ltnjmy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, happy to know other Thranduil thralls like this thread too.

You so rarely drop-in, so hope to see you more often in the TA threads too. Smile

=======

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Aug 8 2014, 1:19am

Post #45 of 48 (119 views)
Shortcut
Lurker my understanding is that the only definition is a sword mounted as a knife [In reply to] Can't Post

which significantly has to do with the grips and pommel cap in principal. this may not be completely and all encompassing correct but it is along the lines of how they are defined. Although blade shape and curvature varied somewhat I have seen the single edge as a common even overwhelming if not definitive characteristic.
Mine is not custom but it is from a company called Albion Swords and the model is called a Knecht. They also have a single handed Grosse Messer called the Soldat. The designer for Albion is Peter Johnsson and he documents historical examples (many believe he is the best in the world at what he does) and in the case on the Knecht it is a composite of elements that are contemporary with each other to result in an historically correct weapon in all aspects, with the exception that the material now used is superior to what was available 500 years ago.
The overall length of the Knecht is approximately 113cm, with an 85cm blade and the guard is massive at about 25cm wide (I don't have it with me at work at the moment strangely enough). So its blade is a little bit shorter than most Longswords, but the hilt is of similar proportions if not longer than that of some Longswords, once again the dimensions of those types of swords vary greatly.
I understand what you are saying about reality in an unreal story and I think Thranduil is possibly at least visually and potentially in character the best elf we have seen on screen so far. I probably miss the context of some peoples comments but having a passion for the subject I try to expand interest with information, especially trying to expel myths (not present in this thread) such as swords being heavy and people needing to be strong to use them effectively.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 8 2014, 2:30pm

Post #46 of 48 (103 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, ElendilTheShort [In reply to] Can't Post

my understanding is that the only definition is a sword mounted as a knife which significantly has to do with the grips and pommel cap in principal

Fascinating! And thanks for taking the time to answer and share the details. Much appreciated Smile

I am thinking of the Rohirrim swords as being quite messers in their form, with this talk of swords as knives, just from the aesthetics and my superficial grasp of it of course, especially Theoden's sword, for which I love the horse motif used on the crossguard.

I understand what you are saying about reality in an unreal story and I think Thranduil is possibly at least visually and potentially in character the best elf we have seen on screen so far.

Ooh! Thank you for that!Heart Cool to know your positive opinion of him. I'm always curious to know what others think of him and his movie!self.

I probably miss the context of some peoples comments but having a passion for the subject I try to expand interest with information, especially trying to expel myths (not present in this thread) such as swords being heavy and people needing to be strong to use them effectively.

That is very nice to know.

I get your drift. Frankly, being Asian and living where access to both asian and western entertainment is so easy, I'm pretty easy to convince with regards to portrayals
of all sorts of weaponplay. Though the broadsword-heavy focus in western period stuff growing up does tend to the perception of brute strength in western swordplay. On the other hand, Asian flicks have all sorts of lighter swords and elegant swordsman cool. The closest equivalent would probably be sabres but even they have nothing on the broadsword, unless they're the mounted as spears.

I just have to go back a bit to your previous post re "
the fact is if you are attacked from in front by someone who knows what they are doing and a second person who knows what they are doing manages to get behind you and you let them stay there the fight is over very soon. defense in that situation would rely on footwork to reposition yourself so no one was behind you."

Just wanted to comment that in a melee situation like the one we see Thranduil in in the teaser, there seems no way footwork is enough defence, because everywhere you turn someone is behind you. What do you think is workable in this situation?

=======

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Aug 9 2014, 12:28am

Post #47 of 48 (88 views)
Shortcut
but isn't a messer single bladed? [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden's sword is double bladed, in that both sides are sharp. With a messer, only one side is sharp- the other side is blunt.

But I, like you, also adore the style of the Rohirrim swords, especially Eowyn's and Theoden's Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 9 2014, 12:38am

Post #48 of 48 (91 views)
Shortcut
Ah my bad!I had assumed it was conventional double-edged [In reply to] Can't Post

just from assumption since I didn't manage to find the relevant information on the messer before. But just now I saw one in wiki, of all places, the general definition. So yes: "a term for the class of single-edged bladed weapons". Intriguing.

But like I said, I'm a hack with regards to specifics. The link between the Rohirrim weapons with the messer just jumped out when I saw that first messer image in Kathuphazgân'a link.Evil

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.