My biggest fear is that Bilbo...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

delius82
Rivendell

Aug 4 2014, 5:08am

Post #26 of 37 (207 views)
Shortcut
Elanor I totally agree.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't rationally explain why I love these characters so much but i've got a groovy kind of love happening with this film series. Onwards to December, I feel whatever happens to our favorite characters will be gracefully handled by the script and direction. And that's a new sentiment I haven't felt for awhile.

smtfhw
Lorien

Aug 4 2014, 6:39am

Post #27 of 37 (189 views)
Shortcut
Remember those books? [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole set is sitting on one of my bookshelves even now...

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 12:13pm

Post #28 of 37 (180 views)
Shortcut
*Squee and takes raincheck on the precious couch* [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartSmile Thanks, Starling!

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
(Tis true! More appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies)

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 12:16pm

Post #29 of 37 (166 views)
Shortcut
Start a commune! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I am going to have Gypsy Vanner ponies and sheeps, and live in a place like Beorn's.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

Me wants too! Oh how we wants it precious AngelicHeart

Seriously, need to think through the pennies needed, the time-window and what to do/see for maximum geekage...

I'm a lurker. Fan of both books and movies; it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Heart Appreciating Thranduil, thread by thread: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare!
Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), Two, Three, Four (new! posted 16 Jul)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 12:27pm

Post #30 of 37 (172 views)
Shortcut
This is mithril [In reply to] Can't Post

Elanor, thank you for saying it so perfectly. *sigh*

These ME films of PJ's, while not perfect (what is?), have definitely hooked this nerd/thrall, through the core and I'm a willing "victim" wholeheartedly. Just that I am still signing in to spit my two cents is proof - because usually, no matter how deep my obsession, my modus operandus has been to avoid any discussion boards or details like the plague pre-viewing a movie, and after if I'm so taken, I'll haunt and lurk the pertinent boards, but usually by the third month, tops, I would have abandoned the haunting. Not LotR before, and not TH now. Well, with TH, I had promised myself not to get too spoiled because lurking on boards quite spoiled the element of surprise in TTT and RotK for me. So I managed to keep away through AUJ, but since DOS I could resist finding out more, and well, I guess it's no surprise Thranduil has kept me here BlushTongueAngelicHeart but I am glad because there's such good company here, and I am all caught up in the BotFA excitement.Heart

My quote of the week

Maybe the casting choices, maybe the script, maybe a kind of magic... I don't know. It comes straight from my heart ( and I am not a sentimental, I am the first to be surprised).

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 12:41pm

Post #31 of 37 (174 views)
Shortcut
All this talk of books and collecting... [In reply to] Can't Post

is stirring the gollum inside. Growing up, my family could never afford books, especially not the decidedly more expensive English ones, but I was still fortunate in having aunts who introduced me to the world of fiction and books, and the public library (another lucky happenstance: there was a branch just a stone's throw away from home). Almost everything I read as a kid was a public library loan, and if I wanted to re-read anything (which I often did), I had to hope it was available for loan, and also remember the titles. Through the years I've lost touch with a number of beloved reads as the library binned old books/titles. FrownPirate

I am beginning, slowly, to collect stuff. Though another gripe comes into play: It's so humid here (95-99%) all year round, things get mouldy. The heartburn of opening a carefully kept book to find the pesky marks is indescribable - even silver fish don't seem so bad compared to that. So I just hope regularly airing the WETA books will help stave off the pestilence.

That Enchanted World series sound interesting, and I'm going to check it for sure. Thanks to Avandel and Glorfindela.

=======

KeenObserver
Lorien

Aug 4 2014, 12:53pm

Post #32 of 37 (171 views)
Shortcut
Tis our fate . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . For all of us über hardcore Hobbit-movie fanatics to happily retire (with or without family) to the wondrous New Zealand countryside and foolishly live under one roof in a house like Beorn's where we, in our old age, are served and cared for by animal-like robots.CrazyLaugh

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Glorfindela
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 12:55pm

Post #33 of 37 (155 views)
Shortcut
Same here (without the mould) [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was child I read avidly. I would sometimes go to the library every day and take several books out each time. Sadly, there are fewer libraries in London now. The best ones I used to go to as an adult, to do research, were like the one in St James, which was dark and deep and you had to switch on lights in aisles to access the books. There were many extremely old tomes there. Libraries in places like the Institute of Archaeology are not bad, either.

Now, I have to keep strict control over my books, and I give away some from time to time (though I would never get rid of certain books, including paperbacks if I like them). I don't get any problems with mould or foxing here, but the pages of some books do become quite brittle and yellow…

In Reply To
is stirring the gollum inside. Growing up, my family could never afford books, especially not the decidedly more expensive English ones, but I was still fortunate in having aunts who introduced me to the world of fiction and books, and the public library (another lucky happenstance: there was a branch just a stone's throw away from home). Almost everything I read as a kid was a public library loan, and if I wanted to re-read anything (which I often did), I had to hope it was available for loan, and also remember the titles. Through the years I've lost touch with a number of beloved reads as the library binned old books/titles. FrownPirate

I am beginning, slowly, to collect stuff. Though another gripe comes into play: It's so humid here (95-99%) all year round, things get mouldy. The heartburn of opening a carefully kept book to find the pesky marks is indescribable - even silver fish don't seem so bad compared to that. So I just hope regularly airing the WETA books will help stave off the pestilence.

That Enchanted World series sound interesting, and I'm going to check it for sure. Thanks to Avandel and Glorfindela.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 1:06pm

Post #34 of 37 (157 views)
Shortcut
We will pass the test. We shall diminish, [In reply to] Can't Post

and go into the east and south, and remain hardcore Hobbit fans.

=======

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 4 2014, 2:12pm

Post #35 of 37 (154 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that sounds about right, count me in... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I would so love to see New Zealand! Cool

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 2:46pm

Post #36 of 37 (145 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, I have to keep strict control over my books, and I give away some from time to time (though I would never get rid of certain books, including paperbacks if I like them). I don't get any problems with mould or foxing here, but the pages of some books do become quite brittle and yellow…

We don't get the brittle here, ironic thanks to the humidity, but the yellowing yes. It's a consistent thing with most books, but strangely, my copy of the Silm has a very freaky partial yellowing, and it's a Del Rey print. I just bought the two BoLTs, and realised they're from the print series so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that strange yellowing is a fluke.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Aug 4 2014, 2:47pm

Post #37 of 37 (152 views)
Shortcut
Roadtrip! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be so cool if we do a fanmoot Heart

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.