The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will Bilbo Sing?

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 2:13am

Post #1 of 15 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Will Bilbo Sing? Can't Post

so in the new trailer we have "The Edge Of Night" the song sung by Pippin in Return Of The King, brilliant usage by the way. Billy Boyd said that when he was coming up with the tune for it he imagined it as a song that Pippin's grandfather would sing to him as a child, he imagined it as a song that had been passed down through generations from the time when the Hobbits were looking for a new home before they found The Shire.

I love that interpretation of it but there's a new theory about it now, someone here suggested that the song was written by Bilbo after the Battle Of Five Armies an Pippin learned it from him. I love that theory too, the films even support this by Gandalf telling Bilbo "Home is now behind you, the world is ahead" as songwriters or poets know our brains are constantly filing potential lyrics away for future use (well at least I do lol) anyway the point I'm trying to make here is that I really hope Bilbo sings in this movie he's been a great Bilbo so far but if he were to sing it would make it more perfect even Ian Holm sang in FOTR. we know Martin Freeman can sing and for those that don't here is a link it features clips from Sherlock by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwT3E5YUZl4

He won't sing Pippin's song in the movie he'd most likely sing a version of "The Road Goes Ever On" or he could sing something like Arwen's song from the Extended ROTK after the battle or something like that. sorry for this seemingly random rant I'm starting to get excited for this movie now!

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on Aug 2 2014, 2:24am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 2 2014, 2:20am

Post #2 of 15 (690 views)
Shortcut
I really do hope we get some characters singing in this film... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I missed that in DOS.

When I heard reports that the BOFA teaser was set to "The Walking Song", I was so excited. I thought it was a new song.

I was disappointed. Not to say that Pippin's Song wasn't used to great effect. I love it by itself. And I love the way it fits the teaser so aptly. I was just disappointed we weren't getting a new song :)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2014, 2:47am

Post #3 of 15 (652 views)
Shortcut
I hope so! [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin isn't tone deaf and can sing. I hope we hear him do so.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 2:51am

Post #4 of 15 (668 views)
Shortcut
I just had a thought [In reply to] Can't Post

no wait it's a silly old stick insect...

just kidding anyway this literally just popped into my head what if Bilbo were to lead the dwarves in a song? like say at a funeral?

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on Aug 2 2014, 2:58am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2014, 3:08am

Post #5 of 15 (647 views)
Shortcut
I would love it [In reply to] Can't Post

and most likely everyone will be in even more tears than they were when it started.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Name
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 3:21am

Post #6 of 15 (662 views)
Shortcut
Something I always wanted [In reply to] Can't Post

Was the song "Under the Mountain Dark and Tall," just like from the animated film, sung during Thorin's funeral. Because the king literally "comes unto his hall." Bilbo leading this song would be amazing, although The Walking Song is the more probable option.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Fleuz
Lorien

Aug 2 2014, 4:50am

Post #7 of 15 (648 views)
Shortcut
My dream is [In reply to] Can't Post

that he sings "The Road Goes Ever On..." at the end.

Gandalfs sings it at the beginning of FOTR. It would be a nice connection. And I like the song.

Rickster
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 7:00am

Post #8 of 15 (596 views)
Shortcut
I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

He will sing the whole movie

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Aug 2 2014, 11:51am

Post #9 of 15 (550 views)
Shortcut
Old Bilbo sings it too when he leaves for Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

So it would totally make sence to me that Bilbo wrote it on his way back to Hobbiton and perhaps even sings it with Gandalf. That's why Gandalf knows and sings it at the beginning of FOTR when he is on his way to Bilbo.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2014, 1:27pm

Post #10 of 15 (503 views)
Shortcut
That would be perfect!...// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Rickster
Rohan

Aug 2 2014, 8:57pm

Post #11 of 15 (460 views)
Shortcut
I think he will sting with his little knife-sword [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 4 2014, 8:13am

Post #12 of 15 (380 views)
Shortcut
I hope so! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Aug 4 2014, 3:01pm

Post #13 of 15 (369 views)
Shortcut
Honestly Pippin's song is so moving I would love for Bilbo to give us a repeat [In reply to] Can't Post

I think maybe to sing it again after the battle for the funeral would be beautiful. Heart

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Aug 4 2014, 3:01pm)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Aug 5 2014, 10:15am

Post #14 of 15 (336 views)
Shortcut
If done well [In reply to] Can't Post

In a scene where it does not feel out of place, I could picture Bilbo singing. Honestly though, there are so many songs in AUJ it seems to be on the borderline of a musical and that's not what The Hobbit movies should be IMO. But we were spared the singing in the last movie so I guess ONE song could be in BOTFA although, I would rather hear Thorin sing again than Bilbo ;)

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 5 2014, 10:27am

Post #15 of 15 (330 views)
Shortcut
I could see him humming... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the song shortly before the way home or back in Bag-end.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.