The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
SCOD: The Return Of The King

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Aug 1 2014, 3:43pm

Post #1 of 6 (1143 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: The Return Of The King Can't Post

Welcome to the next Screencap Of The Day (apologies for being so late).

Here are the images:

Full-sized images can be found here and here.

Feel free to answer any or all the questions.

1) Do you like how they included Elendil’s Oath as part of a song at the Coronation? Why do you think they did this?
2) Thoughts on composition/lighting/etc.?
3) I like how they include a shot of Eowyn and Faramir, showing the viewers that they have obviously formed an attachment. Do you think that they should have shown the wedding scene for them?
4) Any other thoughts/comments?

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Name
Rohan

Aug 1 2014, 9:14pm

Post #2 of 6 (971 views)
Shortcut
Ok...... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I like it very much, but I can see how a first time viewer would be put off by it, not knowing its significance. Even I didn't know its significance my first time seeing the movie. But it's definitely a nice touch.

2. I like how bright everything is, and the falling flower pedals are a cute addition.

3. I'd love to see the wedding scene, but this part of the movie is already long enough as it is, and I feel like showing their wedding might take away, ever so slightly, from Aragorn and Arwen's moment.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2014, 12:40pm

Post #3 of 6 (956 views)
Shortcut
*clears throat, climbs onto soapbox* [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Do you like how they included Elendil’s Oath as part of a song at the Coronation? Why do you think they did this?

3) I like how they include a shot of Eowyn and Faramir, showing the viewers that they have obviously formed an attachment. Do you think that they should have shown the wedding scene for them?

1) Elendil's Oath is a nice touch, although I didn't realize that's what it was at first. It's a good declaration of Aragorn's change of heart (in the movies) from one who has run from his fate to one who is committed to his kingship and to Middle-earth. It also has serious ramifications for Arwen, if she should happen to choose to marry him...

3) One of the main reasons I really like the LOTR movies but don't love them with all my heart is because of the treatment of Faramir in them. Faramir is in my top three list of favorite book characters, so the whole taking the Ring, and having his guards beat up Gollum, and then (in the TE) skipping out on his courtship of Eowyn (another of the top three), a most beloved set of scenes for me in the books...well, it got to me. So yes, I think there should have been, if not a wedding, more emphasis in the TE especially on at least Eowyn's finding happiness after the setup for her being rejected by Aragorn.

The practical side me can now see why PJ did things the way he did (character arcs, emphasis instead on Aragorn/Arwen, too many endings), but I still can't agree that it was the right way. (My way, naturally, being the right way. AngelicWink)

4) Any other thoughts/comments?
I do like the white petals floating down. It's as if the White Tree is sending its blessings on the new king.Smile

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 3 2014, 1:00pm

Post #4 of 6 (907 views)
Shortcut
That's true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
3. I'd love to see the wedding scene, but this part of the movie is already long enough as it is, and I feel like showing their wedding might take away, ever so slightly, from Aragorn and Arwen's moment.

I would like to have seen Faramir and Eowyn's wedding, but now that you mention it, it would have taken away from Aragorn and Arwen's reunion.

Maybe there's an EEE somewhere in the future (Extra-Extended-Edition) Smile where we could at least see some stills. I've read that the wedding dress was gorgeous.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 3 2014, 1:02pm

Post #5 of 6 (906 views)
Shortcut
I like that! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I do like the white petals floating down. It's as if the White Tree is sending its blessings on the new king.Smile

I never thought of it that way! I really like that idea!

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Aug 5 2014, 2:59am

Post #6 of 6 (938 views)
Shortcut
Good choice [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, yes, YES! I think it is an absolute coup that the Oath of Elendil is not just included, but sung by Aragorn. Because Viggo sings the oath, it is a part of the soundtrack, and thus incorporated with the musical progression that marks Aragorn's journey from Ranger to King. That cycle of themes starts in FotR, where the Aragorn and (2) Gondor themes are introduced, and concludes in this coronation scene, where they merge together, and the oath puts a bow on top of it all. Bravo Howard! Bravo Viggo! Bravo PJ!

I think it has a nice, formal composition. Note the black and white standards flanking the coronation. They are not the same. The one on the left has an image of the sun above the crown; the one on the right has the moon. The sun is an emblem of the House of Anarion, and the moon an emblem of the House of Isildur. The story elements that connect to that symbolism are almost entirely left out of the scripted movie story, but I am always impressed by the depth of Tolkien detail that is incorporated into the production design.

Thanks, MorningStar.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.